• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RMA Experiences

#1 User is offline   The Piney Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

I read a review about the Patriot Memory ordeal on the "Latest News" page again and thought I'd post about some experiences I've had. Maybe these can help others in choosing a product and/or company to deal with.

Back in 2002 I built a new game system and prior to making purchases I checked out several reviews a day for at least a month. I ended up getting an Asus P4PE mother board with a P4 2.4B (533MHz) processor and 512MB of Corsair XMS3200C2. I also purchased a Logitech MX700 cordless mouse. I also have purchased several MX500 and 510 mice for other systems in the home.

A few years ago I started having some problems with the mice (the right buttons would start failing on most of them), mostly the MX500 and 510s. I could tell the buttons themselves were failing because they were crunching when I/we would use them. I called and spoke to one person at Logitech and was told that I would have to reload the software (? What ? I thought, for a mechanical issue?) The tech insisted that a software issue ie. failed/corrupted driver install could cause a mechanical issue. I happened to be on the road that weekend and was not at the systems with problems. He refused to listen to me and would not even consider my point that the mice were bad. When I was back home a couple days later I decided to try again and after the usual 20 minutes of so of sitting in a queue for a tech, I was forwarded to a very nice woman who listened to my description and immediately gave me RMA numbers for the MX500 and two MX510 mice and she even asked if any of these were on a heavily used system. I told her that the MX510s were being used on a gaming system since I moved the MX700 to a new work system. She replaced the MX510s with new MX510s and upgraded the MX500 with a MX518 Gaming mouse. I didn't even have to send the old ones back so I still use one of the MX510 on systems that I work on being I don't usually have to use the right click often. A few months ago the MX700 started doing the same thing with both buttons and I figured that was OK, I got almost 5 years out of it. On a whim I called just to see what the warranty was on this mouse and after providing the Serial number, the tech submitted an RMA and sent me a new MX Revolution as a replacement. I'm not thrilled with the MX Revolution but it is a nice mouse, I'm actually using one of the new MX510s on the work system and the MX Revolution is packed away as a replacement, just in case... I have to say that I am very happy with Logitech and would definitely recommend them to anyone.

I was very happy with the Corsair Ram that I had purchased with the system and back in October I decided to upgrade. I purchased a matched set on Ebay of the exact same kind 2x512MB CMX512 3200C2 and also purchased a matched set of Crucial Ballistix Tracer Ram 2x512MB and another Ballistix non-tracer 1GB stick for a new work system I was building.

When the new/Ebay ram arrived I immediately tested it using Memtest86 and Memtest86+ and found 1 stick of the Corsair was failing (2 locations with constant failure) and both sticks of the Crucial Tracer had also failed (constant failure of most locations at all voltages). Instead of returning the ram I decided to see if they could be RMAed.

Corsair - Emailed the RAM GUY at Corsair Tech Support and he recommended several settings in BIOS and after several attempts I explained that none were working. I also explained that Memtest86 and Memtest86+ were run for several hours at each change. I was given an RMA number and instructions for shipping. This ram was a gift and purchased second hand and although I had no real warranty with Corsair they were both replaced.

Crucial - Emailed their tech support and explained that I got the ram from Ebay as a gift and although they do not warrant their product under these circumstances they also replaced both sticks. I was very surprised!!

What I learned by these experiences is to check the warranty specifically for all items you purchase, especially used items. The ram replacements could have been refused by both manufacturers and they both stepped up and made a very happy consumer who would recommend their products. I also learned that sometimes you can't take the first reply if it's not the one you want. It's always worth a second shot.

I've seen and heard of some very poor experiences with RMAs and sometimes it stems from the consumer's not reading the warranty and sometimes it's just a lack of communication between the consumer and the tech (more often the tech from my personal experiences but not always). I had to replace a hard drive about 8 months ago for a friends somewhat new Compaq system. She wasn't able to explain that the hard drive was dead and the tech she spoke to kept telling her to run the System Restore. - Hello - the hard drive is dead, not even spinning up... When I got there I spoke to someone for about 5 minutes and had the restore CD set on the way. Replaced and restored the new drive a couple days later...

#2 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

I've had a few other bad experiences trying to RMA RAM. The biggest issue is OEM memory. I attempted to contact Hyix (or whatever the real name is) about memory and I was told to contact the OEM, they are only the manufacturer. The problem with that OEM memory is that Dell, HP, etc., probably get it on discount because they only claim a one year warranty on the entire system so there is no lifetime warranty. There is no risk for the manufacturer because the OEM assumes responsibility for 1 year. Pretty much all other brands Patriot, Crucial, Kingston, etc., all come with a lifetime warranty. So I have several sticks of memory at work that I can not RMA, sucks but oh well.

Kingston is usually the best when it comes to RMA, just fill out a web form and send it in to them.

Ultra isn't too bad either. However I can't say that is true for customers. Ultra and Infotel are pretty much "joined at the hip" so they can actually have access to Infotel's ordering or customer database. We had saved 4 bad PS's over about a years time and I finally decided to call them. I didn't realize that they could pull up our information until I gave him a little of our info. He basically saw that we had ordered at 50+ of their power supplies from InfoTel and ok'd the replacements. I asked if they wanted the old ones and he said no, sweet!! So I pulled the 120mm fans from them all and they ended up in the trash. 3 days later I received the new ones. That support almost out does APC support, but I'll have to see what happens when I have to call them again. I have 3 bad ones at the moment and want to wait until I have about 5 until I call them again.

BTW- I'm gonna move this to the "hardware discussion" area.
      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

#3 User is offline   The Piney Icon

• Advanced Member
      • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:06 PM

For power supplies I would definitely recommend staying away from "Cooler Master" products. My experience with a recent purchase of a Cooler Master eXetreme Power 500W from CompUSA is that they didn't send my rebate until I re-submitted the information. Luckily I had photocopies of the original receipt and MIR form.

When I sent in the information about not receiving the rebate I also asked about an issue with fan noise. The box says "Super Silent" due to the fact that it has a 120mm fan. Problem is that the fan sits on top of the fan grill just above the CPU and I'm guessing it starts to rub/hit the grill because this thing makes all kinds of noise. I've sent a total of 3 emails to Cooler Master in regard to this and they haven't responded to any of them. I've Googled the product and found quite a few complaints about the noise. The only reason I bought this thing was the CompUSA rep said it was a great deal. At the time it was originally priced at $79.99 and after an instant store rebate and the Mail in Rebate it was only $29.99... It was plenty quite for the first few weeks but then started making a lot of noise, mostly when it's running warm.

The power supply that I put in the gaming system back in 2002 is an Antec TruePower 420W and that is excellent, never had a single issue. I would highly suggest Antec for power supplies to anyone, but never again the Cooler Master....

#4 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:06 PM

Oh DAMN!! Now you started a NEW topic! I was thinking of making a post the other day but shy'd away from it.

Looks like it's time for a KWorld rant!!! Check out the new post!

On topic- That situation sounds a lot like the same problem Ultra is having with some of their power supplies. I've had customers return them because they make noise. I replaced my Ultra with an Antec months ago, but ironically it started making noise today!! For some reason the mounting for the 120mm fan just doesn't seem right and seems to cause noise?

#5 User is offline   The Piney Icon

• Advanced Member
          • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

It seems like the fan is too close to the grill.. I even asked in my emails if I could remove the grill and put spacers in to see if it would correct the issue without voiding the warranty...

Not really a new topic as all RMA/Issues would be nice. Maybe like a recommendation thread??? Companies to stay away from or go with????

I would like to see anyones experiences posted in this topic as far as problems/stories with hardware...

Even if they would just put something like:

Asus - recommend/not recommend - why/why-not

My usual recommendation for motherboards are Asus for example because they have a very good reputation and I love the web site/forum. As opposed to someone like - Say pcchips motherboards... very hard to find good information on their boards..

#6 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

Already there man!! I failed to mention RMA's though. I'll edit it and move this topic again to the new area.

And yes...stay away from PCChips, BioStar, etc.! I had an Abit mobo last me for a very long time, as a matter of fact it's 3 years old now and one of my sons is using it! However, thanks to some other guy (can't remember his name) I now seem to be a Gigabyte guy??!?!

#7 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:06 AM

thanks to some other guy (can't remember his name)
                :)
                If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

Page 1 of 1
                • You cannot start a new topic
                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users