UBCD4Win Forums: Booting error in Windows XP SP2. - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Booting error in Windows XP SP2. Is it related to Virus Infection?

#1 User is offline   jameldj Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

II am running Windoes XP-SP2 on my laptop.

Booting in windows XP/SP2 gives in the forground of a blue screen, the following error message:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut
    down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

CHECK FOR VIRUSES ON YOUR COMPUTER. REMOVE ANY NEWLY
    INSTALLED HARD DRIVES OR HARD DRIVE CONTROLLERS. CHECK
    YOUR HARD DRIVE TO MAKE SURE IT IS PROPERLY CONFIGURED
    AND TERMINATED.
    RUN CHKDSK /F TO CHECK FOR HARD DRIVE CORRUPTION, AND
    THEN RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.

Technical Information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7B26528, OxC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

It keeps looping, whatever the option I choose for logging in (Normal, ..., Safe Mode). In this last mode,
    it stops at invnmon.sys.

No other HD is attached and running CHKDSK /R gives no error.

I am logging under UBCD4Win. All antiviruses programs installed with UBCD4Win are not up-to-date.
    Is it "viruswise" not dangerous to connect to the internet to update them?
    I would like to downlaod and install AVG 7.5 and update it. Is that possible?

On my c-drive I have SecurityShield'08 antivirus installed and updated . I can't run it. How should I
    proceed to run it?

#2 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:22 PM

Run some of the tools included in UBCD4Win, mostly the spyware ones and try an AV tool also. Stay connected to the Internet so you can get updates. You shouldn't have to worry about the UBCD4Win Environment getting infected with viruses, it's all in memory or on a non-writable CD. I doubt your system could get infected.

Good luck and I hope you get your system bootable again!! If not, at least you can backup data.
      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#3 User is offline   jameldj Icon

• Pip
        • Group: Members

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:05 AM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Feb 22 2008, 12:22 PM, said:

Run some of the tools included in UBCD4Win, mostly the spyware ones and try an AV tool also. Stay connected to the Internet so you can get updates. You shouldn't have to worry about the UBCD4Win Environment getting infected with viruses, it's all in memory or on a non-writable CD. I doubt your system could get infected.

Good luck and I hope you get your system bootable again!! If not, at least you can backup data.

Thank you for the advise.
        Using UBCD4Win, is it possible to backup/restore programs (software) that are installed on the HD without going through the CD/DVDs re-installation?

#4 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:51 AM

View Postjameldj, on Feb 23 2008, 01:05 AM, said:

Using UBCD4Win, is it possible to backup/restore programs (software) that are installed on the HD without going through the CD/DVDs re-installation?

Whiel you can backup the files for a program... it usually does no good since you are not also able to backup the registry changes they need to make on installation. Backup is usually only good for the date you have... ie documents, music, databases, spreadsheets etc etc... Most of the time you would have to install your programs you use.

The problem you are seeing can actually be caused by many issues... not only just virus's or spyware. Some equally possible causes ( if not more likely )... Updates from Microsoft, new hardware, new software... a driver that has been corrupted.. a new driver that was installed... hardware that is now failing.. memory that is now failing... shall I go on... well I won't since it all means that until you do some testing or have other reasons to think that one thing is more likely than another... you can't and have to assume it can be anything still.

The virus's and spyware are the best places to start testing... if nothing shows up after using the many utils already provided... Test the memory... test for corrupted files/disk etc.
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

Page 1 of 1
          • You cannot start a new topic
          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users