• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Daily virus scan

#1 User is offline   RDumbart Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

Ok, My first post - and kind of PIA...

First, congratulations on the nice work.

I've read read the forum, saw Softpedia statement, etc, and burned a boot CD (WIN XP), so I believe when you state there are no virus.

But AVG anti malware keeps on telling every day there are viruses in the UBCD directory.
    Is there a way out besides deleting this directory and keeping only the .exe download? (and loosing the configurations?)

Thanks,

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

Test the file in question on VirusTotal or Jotti ... then report the issue to AVG Technologies so they may correct the false positive.

Also... read the FAQ concerning this type of issue.
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   The Piney Icon

• Advanced Member
      • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:58 PM

I don't have AVG installed on this system now, but I think you can set the UBCD4Win folder to ignored / under exceptions. rdsok should be able to confirm this and inform you on setting this up..

#4 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

I'm a bit against using an exclusion to take care of a viral detection ( if that really is what it was, with no real info given its hard to say )... Some versions of AVG, including the new AVG 8 Free, also detect PUP's and spyware... a PUP or potentually unwanted program, is certainly something where an exclusion is warranted. Password recovery tools and Windows Key code recovery utils are both examples of a PUP and these types of utils are included in the project as the List of Tools shows.

But when it comes to a false postive viral detection, it's another subject... these need corrected by the antivirus company and the only way to do that is to report them.

The reason I don't like to exclude folders... in the event that the system later becomes infected by a file infector of some type... any file that is contained in the excluded folder that also really becomes infected, then also becomes a threat... if the folder is excluded, then the user will likely get re-infected when they do run the now infected item. Or in the case of a project... carry the infection on a CD and then possibly infect every system they test.

If the user only excludes the PUP ( if their version of AVG supports that feature ), then AVG will exclude the file but it also make note of the file's hash value so if the file gets infected later... The user will still get notified of the issue.
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#5 User is offline   The Piney Icon

• Advanced Member
          • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:49 PM

View Postrdsok, on Apr 29 2008, 09:13 PM, said:

If the user only excludes the PUP ( if their version of AVG supports that feature ), then AVG will exclude the file but it also make note of the file's hash value so if the file gets infected later... The user will still get notified of the issue.

Nice, I like that idea much better.. And I was not aware of the hash and being notified if the excluded file became infected at a later date..

#6 User is offline   RDumbart Icon

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:42 AM

Thanks, rdsok

My AVG version (7.5) allows for excluding files - but just at the first detection time.
              After they are moved to the vault and restored, they will not be moved again, but the scan will always report unwanted archives...

Oh, well!

BTW, files moved to vault were keyfinder and keyfinderpe.

View Postrdsok, on Apr 29 2008, 07:55 PM, said:

Test the file in question on VirusTotal or Jotti ... then report the issue to AVG Technologies so they may correct the false positive.

Also... read the FAQ concerning this type of issue.

Page 1 of 1
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users