UBCD4Win Forums: Booting from UBCD4Windows on a machine with SP3 installed - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Booting from UBCD4Windows on a machine with SP3 installed UBCD4Windows was built with SP2/host machine has SP3.

#1 User is offline   street_lethal Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:49 AM

Hi, just a quick question, i'm pretty sure it's not a problem but just making sure.

I have a UBCD4Windows CD that I built off a XP SP2 disc. I needed to boot from that CD on one of my machines that is running SP3. My question is..nothing gets written to my host machine's disk right? The UBCD4Windows CD doesn't copy SP2 files over my SP3 files on my host machine correct? I know probably a silly question because I don't think it does but just making sure.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:20 PM

You should be safe.
      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#3 User is offline   street_lethal Icon

• Pip

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

View PostSteelTrepid, on May 16 2008, 01:20 PM, said:

You should be safe.

Does UBCD4Windows normally write anything to the host drive for any reason? I'm assuming it doesn't...but I would like to know for sure.

This post has been edited by street_lethal: 16 May 2008 - 01:02 PM

#4 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:49 PM

During the boot process there is some reading of your hard drive but there should not be any writing to the drive unless a user makes changes to their build. For example it is possible to create a swap file on the hard drive of the system you are booting on, but that is not enabled by default and I personally do not recommend it unless you are positive that there is no need for data recovery on the drive. Our AVG AV plugin also gives you the option to leave the temporary files on the Ram Drive or your local hard drive, so if you would want to use the Ram Drive if you need to do any data recovery on the drive.

SP3 is still pretty new and has not been tested much by our development team so I will not go on the record saying that everything will be fine and perfect. It is always possible for something strange to happen. I personally have worked on one SP3 computer (WOW, an end user actually updated their system!!) but didn't need to use UBCD4Win on the system for the problems it was having. We have been installing it on most of the computers that come in so maybe a few months from now we will see more SP3 systems and get a chance to use UBCD4Win on them.
          "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#5 User is offline   street_lethal Icon

• Pip

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

View PostSteelTrepid, on May 16 2008, 02:49 PM, said:

During the boot process there is some reading of your hard drive but there should not be any writing to the drive unless a user makes changes to their build. For example it is possible to create a swap file on the hard drive of the system you are booting on, but that is not enabled by default and I personally do not recommend it unless you are positive that there is no need for data recovery on the drive. Our AVG AV plugin also gives you the option to leave the temporary files on the Ram Drive or your local hard drive, so if you would want to use the Ram Drive if you need to do any data recovery on the drive.

SP3 is still pretty new and has not been tested much by our development team so I will not go on the record saying that everything will be fine and perfect. It is always possible for something strange to happen. I personally have worked on one SP3 computer (WOW, an end user actually updated their system!!) but didn't need to use UBCD4Win on the system for the problems it was having. We have been installing it on most of the computers that come in so maybe a few months from now we will see more SP3 systems and get a chance to use UBCD4Win on them.

When I built my UBCD4Windows I left everything with the default plugins. I have a image I can always go back to but I don't really want to reimage if it's a waste of time. So what i'm asking is does UBCD4Windows scan the host drive for newer system files of what it has on it and write over system files for any reason? Don't want to send you in circles for answers I just get paranoid over things like this. Also isn't UBCD4Windows based on BartPE now? I know BartPE writes nothing to the drive.

This post has been edited by street_lethal: 16 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

#6 User is offline   Joshua Icon

• Development Team
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Moderator & Development
              • Interests:Computer, Bikes, and many others

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

View Poststreet_lethal, on May 16 2008, 09:03 PM, said:

1. So what i'm asking is does UBCD4Windows scan the host drive for newer system files of what it has on it and write over system files for any reason?

2. Also isn't UBCD4Windows based on BartPE now? I know BartPE writes nothing to the drive.

1 = No. it don't over writes files.
              2 = Yes, it is based on BartPE

Joshua
              my plugin homepage:
              <a href="http://www.drowaelder.de/winpe/PEIndex.htm" target="_blank">http://www.drowaelder.de/winpe/PEIndex.htm</a>

#7 User is offline   street_lethal Icon

• Pip

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

View PostJoshua, on May 16 2008, 03:38 PM, said:

View Poststreet_lethal, on May 16 2008, 09:03 PM, said:

1. So what i'm asking is does UBCD4Windows scan the host drive for newer system files of what it has on it and write over system files for any reason?

2. Also isn't UBCD4Windows based on BartPE now? I know BartPE writes nothing to the drive.

1 = No. it don't over writes files.
                2 = Yes, it is based on BartPE

Joshua

You're the man. Thank you. I didn't think it did but better to be safe than sorry.

By the way great utility, I have been using it for quite a while now.

Thanks again.

This post has been edited by street_lethal: 16 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

#8 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

The UBCD4Win, by default, does NOT write anything to the HD, unless you run one of the tools and tell it to do so. But during the whole boot process and even once it's finally booted and ready to go, nothing is written to the HD at all. You are safe and yes, it's always been based off of BartPE. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
                  "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
                  "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
                  "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
                  "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
                  "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#9 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:49 PM

@street_lethal
                    No, UBCD4Window does not update system files at hard disk.

There are no files written to hard disk by intention.
                    Yes, it's the same as BartPE.

Contrary if you are paranoid: remember partition are opened in read write mode.
                    PE may write to hard disk anyway.
                    Booting PE from CD: haven't recogniced unitended writing in the last four years.

Most likely you may boot a SP2 PE at a SP3 machine without errrors.

Page 1 of 1
                    • You cannot start a new topic
                    • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                    0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users