Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

XP service pack 3 install goes south Dell laptop chokes on SP3

#1 User is offline   mrgreenjeans Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

I was directed to this utility from OC Forums and have downloaded and read the FAQ's. It seems recommended to use the Dell recovery CD to try and boot this machine but it seems I've misplaced it really well. Can I use a copy of XP pro to build the a boot disk for XP media center?

and secondly, if I get it up, how do i roll back the system restore to try and reclaim the machine?

any help would be appreciated.

#2 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

A standard copy of XP Pro instead of any Dell XP CD is absolutely preferred to build the UBCD4Win than anything else. The then compiled UBCD4Win should work on almost any computer. Then you can use the proper tool (System Restore Wizard or something...) if you wish to just rollback to a previous System Restore point. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
      "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
      "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
      "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
      "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
      "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#3 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Admin

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:32 PM

Note ... System Restore Wizard only restores registry files... not system files.
        Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#4 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
        • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:17 PM

Hi mrgreenjeans

Is your Dell one of the few Dell PC's with AMD processors ?
          There are reports that some OEMs default install loaded the Intel processor driver even on PC's with AMD processors and upgrade from SP1 to SP2 or SP2 to SP3 caused continuous reboots?

If your XP pro CD has no Service packs you can allow ubcd4winbuilder to apply SP2 (or SP3) to hard disk copy of your XP CD before building ISO

Other causes of upgrade problems or continuous reboots may be virus or spyware infections or faulty hard disk

Depending on which country you are in, Dell may supply you with a replacement recovery CD for cost of postage.

best of luck
          let us know how you get on

regards
          Mike Barnes

Page 1 of 1
          • You cannot start a new topic
          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users