UBCD4Win Forums: Defrag Error - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defrag Error Getting MMC Error When Trying to Run Windows Defrag

#1 User is offline   IdahoTech Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:Computers (of Course)<br />Photography, Got my degree in it and I am doing Computer Support? Go figure...<br />Cooking, Fishing, Rock Hounding,

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:49 AM

I am curious if anyone else has run into this problem.

Just a quick note: I have the files for my WinXP install, but I have slipstreamed the Sp3 into them. Ok Now onto the problem.

When I try to run the defrag tool from windows it gives me the following error:

MMC cannot open the files %SystemRoot%\system32\dfrg.msc

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.
    :blink:

I am just wondering if this is due to the fact that I am testing this on a VM that I created with XPSP2 and this is XPSP3 that I used to create the UBCD4WIN? Am I goofy and it is a easy fix or is it a problem between the two service packs?? :threaten2:

Just curious. That is one of the features I use the most because I work in a school district and when a system won't boot I usually boot with the UBCD4WIN and run Defrag. Then I run our SpinRite Copy and Wala, it works. :D

Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not to sure about the universe."
    Albert Einstein

"Never Argue with a Idiot--They will bring you to their level then beat you with experience."
    Unknown Author

"I don't know what your problem is, but i bet it is hard to pronounce."
    Unknown Author

"Ahh - I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again..."
    Unknown Author

#2 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator
      • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

It could be down to SP3, at the moment we recommend building with sp1 or sp2.

Have you checked if the file does exist?
      RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#3 User is offline   IdahoTech Icon

• Pip
        • Interests:Computers (of Course)<br />Photography, Got my degree in it and I am doing Computer Support? Go figure...<br />Cooking, Fishing, Rock Hounding,

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

Well I went a looked and yes it is there and so I figured I would try to replace it with one from SP2 and after checking the timestamp on the files they were created the same. So it seems like SP3 never touched that part of it.

Kinda of odd how when MS updates Windows something always breaks. You figure it would get better, eh? :blink:
        "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not to sure about the universe."
        Albert Einstein

"Never Argue with a Idiot--They will bring you to their level then beat you with experience."
        Unknown Author

"I don't know what your problem is, but i bet it is hard to pronounce."
        Unknown Author

"Ahh - I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again..."
        Unknown Author

#4 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:07 PM

View PostIdahoTech, on May 21 2008, 03:52 PM, said:

Kinda of odd how when MS updates Windows something always breaks. You figure it would get better, eh? :blink:

Is that a trick question??? :crazyhappy:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
          "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
          "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
          "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
          "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
          "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#5 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Admin

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

As a work around until a solution can be found... just type dfrg.msc in the Run... line and hit enter.
            Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#6 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:25 AM

View PostIdahoTech, on May 21 2008, 10:49 AM, said:

I am just wondering if this is due to the fact that I am testing this on a VM that I created with XPSP2 and this is XPSP3 that I used to create the UBCD4WIN?

Just tested:
              UBCD4Win, created with SP3 files, does defrag a XPSP2 drive.
              Dfrg.msc is lauched without error message.

Page 1 of 1
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users