Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows XP SP3 woes for Norton users Symantec urges caution before SP3 upgrade

#1 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator
    • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:51 AM

pcadvisor.co.uk

Symantec has denied that its consumer security software, including Norton Internet Security and Norton 360, is to blame for wreaking havoc on some users' PCs after they upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3).

Microsoft declined to answer questions about the problem, which has emptied Windows' Device Manager and deleted network connections, preventing some users from connecting to the internet or to wireless networks.

According to reports posted the day after Microsoft launched Windows XP SP3 on Windows Update, some users found that their network cards and previously-crafted connections had mysteriously vanished from Windows after updating to the service pack.

RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#2 User is offline   LarrySmith Icon

• PipPipPip
      • Group: Donators

Post icon  Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

View Poststidyup, on May 23 2008, 03:51 AM, said:

pcadvisor.co.uk

Symantec has denied that its consumer security software, including Norton Internet Security and Norton 360, is to blame for wreaking havoc on some users' PCs after they upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3).

Microsoft declined to answer questions about the problem, which has emptied Windows' Device Manager and deleted network connections, preventing some users from connecting to the internet or to wireless networks.

According to reports posted the day after Microsoft launched Windows XP SP3 on Windows Update, some users found that their network cards and previously-crafted connections had mysteriously vanished from Windows after updating to the service pack.

Umm, interesting. The first time I tried to update a customers XP home OS reinstall to SP3, I downloaded and burned the SP3 ISO image, but the update process errored out and uninstalled.

I then slipped streamed SP3 on the customers OS disk and everything worked fine. No problems with Internet, devices, or Norton Security Suite. Maybe that's a workaround...
      Dell Dimension 4100, P-3, 1GHz, 512MB Ram, WinXP Pro SP2

#3 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Members
        • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:25 PM

View PostLarrySmith, on May 26 2008, 04:03 PM, said:

View Poststidyup, on May 23 2008, 03:51 AM, said:

pcadvisor.co.uk

Umm, interesting. The first time I tried to update a customers XP home OS reinstall to SP3, I downloaded and burned the SP3 ISO image, but the update process errored out and uninstalled.

I then slipped streamed SP3 on the customers OS disk and everything worked fine. No problems with Internet, devices, or Norton Security Suite. Maybe that's a workaround...

I don't think it was Norton by itself so much as system that used AMD CPUs AND Norton, or just AMD CPUs. Haven't really heard of any other problems other than people with just AMD CPUs. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
        "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
        "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
        "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
        "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
        "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#4 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:20 AM

Actually it had nothing to do with the AMD CPU's... the issues being reported were from users with systems that were setup improperly by the manufacturers who installed drivers for both Intel and AMD into the Windows so they could use just one image setup... It was just that the AMD systems couldn't work properly with the Intel drivers that were installed.
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

Page 1 of 1
          • You cannot start a new topic
          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users