• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows Server 2008 Support for Testing UBC on Server 2008

#1 User is offline   basiclawofwar Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:28 PM

Guys,

I am testing UBC on server 2008; my first question is, is it supported? Just tried BARTPE but found out that it does install but after that it cannot find the installation files. The structure in server 2008 has changed. Secondly, where are the pluggins?

all my findings will be here:
    http://newsmartcool....orums/index.php

thanks,
    BasicLawOfWar :clapping:

#2 User is offline   basiclawofwar Icon

• Pip

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:40 PM

View Postbasiclawofwar, on May 29 2008, 03:28 PM, said:

Guys,

I am testing UBC on server 2008; my first question is, is it supported? Just tried BARTPE but found out that it does install but after that it cannot find the installation files. The structure in server 2008 has changed. Secondly, where are the pluggins?

all my findings will be here:
      http://newsmartcool....orums/index.php

thanks,
      BasicLawOfWar :clapping:

Okay guys, even UBCD did not find any installation files running on Windows 2008 Advanced Server, whats gonig on guys?

#3 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Admin

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

Perhaps had you read the FAQ's you may have had a clue... such as this one.... http://www.ubcd4win....faq.htm#require
        Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#4 User is offline   basiclawofwar Icon

• Pip

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

View Postrdsok, on May 29 2008, 03:56 PM, said:

Perhaps had you read the FAQ's you may have had a clue... such as this one.... http://www.ubcd4win....faq.htm#require

Please, is there anyway to get support for Windows Server 2008?
          Can anyone spend a night with some coffie and a test machine to get it to work, please?

#5 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:49 PM

View Postbasiclawofwar, on May 29 2008, 04:03 PM, said:

Can anyone spend a night with some coffie and a test machine to get it to work, please?

No.. its just not that simple... you might look at the 911CD forum for info about WinPE2 but I'm not sure that will work with that as the source either
            Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#6 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:23 AM

If you have enough coffee, please add support for RedHat or Debian too.
              If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#7 User is offline   Nuno Brito Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:46 AM

VistaPE is working fine with Windows 2008 server and the latest beta version 2 of winbuilder is running all bartPE plugins out of the box.

Should be out for testing this weekend, look on the 911cd forums for info.

:)
                Use the search tool to find all posts made by other members and help you solve any doubts quickly by yourself.
                Whenever possible - place your questions including as many details as you can to help us help you - Thanks!

nuno? --> pics

#8 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:06 AM

View PostNuno Brito, on May 30 2008, 05:46 AM, said:

VistaPE is working fine with Windows 2008 server and the latest beta version 2 of winbuilder is running all bartPE plugins out of the box.

Off-Topic: It seems WinBuilder has come a long way since you first introduced it here. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
                  "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
                  "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
                  "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
                  "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
                  "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#9 User is offline   basiclawofwar Icon

• Pip

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

View PostNuno Brito, on May 30 2008, 06:46 AM, said:

Just to let you know; i did end up working the vistape with windows2008 server to see if it would work. Well, it doesn't. the problem comes in when it tries to find the source files or the WAIK files for 2008. It just doesn't know where to look for them.

Maybe in the future editions this problem will be addressed.

Bottom line is, there is no support for Microsoft Windows 2008 Server -

#10 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

View Postbasiclawofwar, on May 30 2008, 10:42 AM, said:

Just to let you know; i did end up working the vistape with windows2008 server to see if it would work. Well, it doesn't. the problem comes in when it tries to find the source files or the WAIK files for 2008. It just doesn't know where to look for them.

You might want to re-read what Nuno Brito actually said... the version is due out this weekend.. ie it isn't done yet.

#11 User is offline   basiclawofwar Icon

• Pip

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:29 PM

View Postrdsok, on May 30 2008, 11:46 AM, said:

View Postbasiclawofwar, on May 30 2008, 10:42 AM, said:

You might want to re-read what Nuno Brito actually said... the version is due out this weekend.. ie it isn't done yet.

Thanks for the tip rdsok, i'll go and re-read the post.

#12 User is offline   Nuno Brito Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

View Postbasiclawofwar, on May 30 2008, 03:42 PM, said:

Just to let you know; i did end up working the vistape with windows2008 server to see if it would work.

Which version did you used?

Nightman has introduced support for Vista SP1, Server 2008 and WAIK 1.1 in beta version 12 since last february, version 11 only works with pre-SP1 Vista sources.

Sorry for not posting more details earlier, please download version 12 from my link below.

http://nunobrito.eu/...istaPE12beta.7z

Test it preferably with UAC disabled and also connected to the web to allow download any additional features that you choose from the download center. Also helps to use x86 windows 2008 since feedback on x64 is still reduced at this stage.

This is a barebone project mostly used to test the initial build process and will run total commander as shell (on stable versions it defaults to the explorer shell, xoblite, nu2menu, etc)

Results in a ~90Mb ISO image.

Please install VirtualBox before creating your project to test the .ISO image right after the project is built or disable this script on the "virtualtest" folder and run your favourite emulator or use real hardware (the .ISO image is found inside the ISO folder)

Well, it doesn't. the problem comes in when it tries to find the source files or the WAIK files for 2008. It just doesn't know where to look for them.

I think that you just clicked on the play button without specifying a source first.

With XP sources it works this way but it is not the case for Vista sources.

You need to click on the Paths tab and select the path to your Windows 2008 folder where the WIM files are placed, then you click Play and see it build your boot disk.

--------------

Bottom line is, there is no support for Microsoft Windows 2008 Server

There is no support for Windows 2008 on the Ubcd4Win project just yet but this can quickly change.

winbuilder, the engine used for these vista related projects on the new beta version can natively run all bartPE plugins found on the present release of ubcd4win inside any other boot disk projects regardless of the windows source or host.

Would be excellent to see the UBCD4Win project provide support for NT4/NT5/NT6/NT7/.. and now it is possible! :)
                          Use the search tool to find all posts made by other members and help you solve any doubts quickly by yourself.
                          Whenever possible - place your questions including as many details as you can to help us help you - Thanks!

nuno? --> pics

#13 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:32 PM

Try KNOPPIX 5.3.1
                            if you are in a hurry there is a ready made Bootable DVD on the cover of
                            LINUX MAGAZINE JUNE 2008 issue91

that should be able to see the files on the 2008 server .
                            (it has drivers for most hardware it is not very good with USB wireless NIC s )

Regards Ben

#14 User is offline   basiclawofwar Icon

• Pip

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

View PostNuno Brito, on May 30 2008, 03:47 PM, said:

Just to let you know; i did end up working the vistape with windows2008 server to see if it would work.

Which version did you used?

Nightman has introduced support for Vista SP1, Server 2008 and WAIK 1.1 in beta version 12 since last february, version 11 only works with pre-SP1 Vista sources.

Sorry for not posting more details earlier, please download version 12 from my link below.

http://nunobrito.eu/...istaPE12beta.7z

Test it preferably with UAC disabled and also connected to the web to allow download any additional features that you choose from the download center. Also helps to use x86 windows 2008 since feedback on x64 is still reduced at this stage.

This is a barebone project mostly used to test the initial build process and will run total commander as shell (on stable versions it defaults to the explorer shell, xoblite, nu2menu, etc)

Results in a ~90Mb ISO image.

Please install VirtualBox before creating your project to test the .ISO image right after the project is built or disable this script on the "virtualtest" folder and run your favourite emulator or use real hardware (the .ISO image is found inside the ISO folder)

Well, it doesn't. the problem comes in when it tries to find the source files or the WAIK files for 2008. It just doesn't know where to look for them.

I think that you just clicked on the play button without specifying a source first.

With XP sources it works this way but it is not the case for Vista sources.

You need to click on the Paths tab and select the path to your Windows 2008 folder where the WIM files are placed, then you click Play and see it build your boot disk.

--------------

Bottom line is, there is no support for Microsoft Windows 2008 Server

There is no support for Windows 2008 on the Ubcd4Win project just yet but this can quickly change.

winbuilder, the engine used for these vista related projects on the new beta version can natively run all bartPE plugins found on the present release of ubcd4win inside any other boot disk projects regardless of the windows source or host.

Would be excellent to see the UBCD4Win project provide support for NT4/NT5/NT6/NT7/.. and now it is possible! :)

Thanks for all the great information! I'll re-test.
                              By the way, I am testing on a Gateway 64bit Processor Rack mounted server.

#15 User is offline   Nuno Brito Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

Good luck then.

My tests are done on a AMD Turion x64 Vista desktop using a x32 NT6 source.

For some reason there's the belief that x64 windows sources are not supported for building boot disks, let's see if you can prove otherwise.

nuno? --> pics

• (2 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users