Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

System restore paralysed my PC!

#1 User is offline   lois.km Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:00 AM

I'm having some trouble with my Acer Extensa 2300 running on XP home 2002 Service pack 2. In an attempt to free up disk space\memory I followed the windows prompts of System restore to remove all but the most recent restore point. I was able to start up but only in safe mode for a few days but now I can't even start up. It gets to ...system\32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys and that's it. I think it's a fairly simple problem but my computer knowledge is limited.

PLEASE HELP!!!

#2 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator
      • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:31 AM

Google search

It could be a variety of issues causing this.

Have you tried hitting F8 using last known good configuration?

On Windows XP and Windows 2003

1. Press F8 repeatedly as the computer boots up to get to the Windows Advanced Options Menu.
      2. Select last known good configuration.

Also try to get into safe mode:

On Windows XP and Windows 2003

1. Press F8 repeatedly as the computer boots up to get to the Windows Advanced Options Menu.
      2. In this menu, select the third option "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", then select Windows XP or Windows 2003.
      3. When requested, logon as local administrator.

Then try running check disk.
      RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#3 User is offline   पागल Icon

• Pip
        • Group: Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:01 AM

When you install Windows XP, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
        When you restart your computer, you may be prompted to use the Last Known Good configuration. When you do so, your computer may stop responding (hang) during the restart, and each time you restart thereafter.
        You may be prompted to run ScanDisk. When you do so, your computer may stop responding (hang). If you do not run ScanDisk, your computer may start correctly. However you are prompted to run ScanDisk every time you start your computer, and if you do so, your computer may stop responding (hang).
        When you restart your computer, your computer may stop responding (hang).
        If you try to restart your computer in Safe mode, your computer may stop responding (hang) when Windows XP tries to load the Agp440.sys service.

follow M$ instruction

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764

Page 1 of 1
        • You cannot start a new topic
        • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
        0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users