• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Full Disk Encryption (Safeboot) Recovery options - tools

#1 User is offline   Kevin Bentley Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:13 AM

Hello,

I am new to the forum so please excuse the newbie in me but we utilize a full disk encryption utility called Safeboot (owned by Network Associates) and they have a recovery CD that utilizes a BartPE interface for mounting and recovering data. My question? Is there a way to integrate their Bootable CD (which is BartPE) into our UBCD4WIN CD? I have been using UBCD4WIN for many revisions now and have the basic understanding about adding applications so I would imagine this could be a fairly simple modification but then again, NAI may have built a protection feature into this so we can't do what I am thinking about? Do any of you use Safeboot Encryption, or are familiar with their recovery CD's (called Wintech)?

I have not tried to play with this but am planning on looking into it this week and thought I would post up to see if anyone has already tried or may be able to save me some time/frustration.

Any input would be appreciated.

We are using Safeboot (client version 5.1.1) and I would like to be able to mount partitions for data recovery or spyware/malware removal procedures when necessary. Also, I would like to be able to load an Entrust local encryption application so I can decrypt locally encrypted files when necessary but that will like be another topic all together.

Thanks for any help...

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:35 PM

You can probably just take their plugin they are using... and alter the menu XML file so it works within the UBCD4Win menu structure.
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   Kevin Bentley Icon

• Pip

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:17 AM

View Postrdsok, on Jul 30 2008, 04:35 PM, said:

You can probably just take their plugin they are using... and alter the menu XML file so it works within the UBCD4Win menu structure.

I tried that but it looks like they have a couple of specific drivers (.sys) files and some register entries under the SOFTWARE hive, how can import those settings? I can get the .sys files but am not sure about the register entries? I have a BartPE disk that they use as a diagnositc tool but it limits some of the tools that I rely on in UBCD4WIN so my ultimate goal would be to be able to use their application in my UBCD4WIN CD. I am close but need a coule of what appear to be minor tweaks and I should be able to get it to work. Anyone with experience and interest to help?

#4 User is offline   Kevin Bentley Icon

• Pip

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:57 PM

View PostKevin Bentley, on Sep 18 2008, 07:17 AM, said:

I tried that but it looks like they have a couple of specific drivers (.sys) files and some register entries under the SOFTWARE hive, how can import those settings? I can get the .sys files but am not sure about the register entries? I have a BartPE disk that they use as a diagnositc tool but it limits some of the tools that I rely on in UBCD4WIN so my ultimate goal would be to be able to use their application in my UBCD4WIN CD. I am close but need a coule of what appear to be minor tweaks and I should be able to get it to work. Anyone with experience and interest to help?

Well, I thought I would update this for anyone else trying to do the same thing ... basically Safeboot using a Wintech CD that utilizes BartPE but only has limited tools and although it will let you mount an encrypted volume there is little you can do to repair the installation so I did as recommended and followed the instructions for creating a plug-in and now have the Safeboot drivers running in the 3.20 version of UBCD4WIN. Anyone having trouble can contact me and I will try to assist but I am actually ashamed that all the answers were right there available to me; I was just lazy and hoping someone had already worked through it so read the intructions and you can get this working properly with little work. Now I can mount encrypted volumes and modify registry entries, recover restore points and much more. Good luck and feel free to drop me an email if you need help.

#5 User is offline   khelben Icon

• Pip

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:28 PM

View PostKevin Bentley, on Sep 22 2008, 03:57 PM, said:

Well, I thought I would update this for anyone else trying to do the same thing ... basically Safeboot using a Wintech CD that utilizes BartPE but only has limited tools and although it will let you mount an encrypted volume there is little you can do to repair the installation so I did as recommended and followed the instructions for creating a plug-in and now have the Safeboot drivers running in the 3.20 version of UBCD4WIN. Anyone having trouble can contact me and I will try to assist but I am actually ashamed that all the answers were right there available to me; I was just lazy and hoping someone had already worked through it so read the intructions and you can get this working properly with little work. Now I can mount encrypted volumes and modify registry entries, recover restore points and much more. Good luck and feel free to drop me an email if you need help.

Maybe you could just add a quick run through to the thread? I'm interested. I'm sure others are too.

#6 User is offline   Kevin Bentley Icon

• Pip

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

View Postkhelben, on Sep 22 2008, 08:28 PM, said:

View PostKevin Bentley, on Sep 22 2008, 03:57 PM, said:

Maybe you could just add a quick run through to the thread? I'm interested. I'm sure others are too.

np, I wish I could show some impressively clever process but it was just as simple as many have said in the beginning, all the documentation is there and if follow it, it will work perfectly but here is a recap:

Basically anyone who is an administrator for Safeboot will have access to Safeboot's Wintech CD or the files needed to create one. The Safeboot plug-in directories can be copied and used in our UBCD4WIN project so download the latest 3.20 or latest at the time of reading and place the safeboot plug-in directory in the plug-in directory for the UBCD builder, update all your plug-ins (that need definition files) and create your new project. You will see the safeboot drivers load at startup and will be able to authenticate either from the SBFS or an exported database key. The plug-in will change your desktop background so I just renamed whatever image file you want to use to Safeboot.bmp and overwrite the file in the safeboot plug-in directory (you will get a pic of my dog in my plug-in).

That is pretty much it. You will have all the features of the Wintech CD plus the ability to use XP restore points and modify the registery so I use it over the Wintech CD. I would recommend that if you are using it as a backup contingency keep a copy of your Safeboot .sdb file just in case your MBR is damaged. This will allow you to boot and access your data on the road should you experience a failure. I place a copy of the plug-in at the link below if you need it. I am not sure about versioning it if you are using Safeboot version 4.2 or 5 this plug-in should work fine. I also used the same config for my USB drive and it works perfectly and greatly reduces boot up time on 2.0 compliant machines. I found that the CD took almost 7 min. to load where the USB drive loaded in less than 3 min but this only applies to newer systems (I use Dell D620, D630's, the D600 and 610's take much longer).

Downloadable Safeboot plug-in:

Safeboot Plug-in

#7 User is offline   chukalov Icon

• Pip

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

np, I wish I could show some impressively clever process but it was just as simple as many have said in the beginning, all the documentation is there and if follow it, it will work perfectly but here is a recap:

Basically anyone who is an administrator for Safeboot will have access to Safeboot's Wintech CD or the files needed to create one. The Safeboot plug-in directories can be copied and used in our UBCD4WIN project so download the latest 3.20 or latest at the time of reading and place the safeboot plug-in directory in the plug-in directory for the UBCD builder, update all your plug-ins (that need definition files) and create your new project. You will see the safeboot drivers load at startup and will be able to authenticate either from the SBFS or an exported database key. The plug-in will change your desktop background so I just renamed whatever image file you want to use to Safeboot.bmp and overwrite the file in the safeboot plug-in directory (you will get a pic of my dog in my plug-in).

That is pretty much it. You will have all the features of the Wintech CD plus the ability to use XP restore points and modify the registery so I use it over the Wintech CD. I would recommend that if you are using it as a backup contingency keep a copy of your Safeboot .sdb file just in case your MBR is damaged. This will allow you to boot and access your data on the road should you experience a failure. I place a copy of the plug-in at the link below if you need it. I am not sure about versioning it if you are using Safeboot version 4.2 or 5 this plug-in should work fine. I also used the same config for my USB drive and it works perfectly and greatly reduces boot up time on 2.0 compliant machines. I found that the CD took almost 7 min. to load where the USB drive loaded in less than 3 min but this only applies to newer systems (I use Dell D620, D630's, the D600 and 610's take much longer).

Safeboot Plug-in

I really need to create the SafeBoot plugin myself. I have the Wintech disk as well but can't figure it out. Is there a way you can post the plugin as CAB so it can be added directly? Or post some more instructions. Thanks

#8 User is offline   Gollum Icon

• Trollus Illuminatus
                  • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:30 AM

View Postchukalov, on Feb 21 2009, 06:28 AM, said:

Safeboot Plug-in

I really need to create the SafeBoot plugin myself. I have the Wintech disk as well but can't figure it out. Is there a way you can post the plugin as CAB so it can be added directly? Or post some more instructions. Thanks

*Emergency Siren Sound*

*Over the forum loudspeaker*: Code 3, we have a handholder folks

Do you know how to unzip a file you download from the interweb?

Download plugin
                  Unzip to your UBCD4WIN plugin folder
                  Start UBCD4WIN, make sure Safeboot plugin is enabled
                  Build CD

If after that you are having a problem, please let us know
                  Part of the conversation after highlander999 convinced me to try Vista for a second time, and after i removed it and caught up with him:

Me: Stop talking about it in a positive way, it makes me want to cut myself, just to feel something again
                  John: Found a new signature did ya?

And Now a word from our sponsor:
                  Partner commenting on your crotch forest? Or just want to make things appear bigger? Do you believe a goatee should only be worn on your chin?
                  Have you been curious to try genital grooming, but too scared to take action? We're here to help.
                  Sack and crack maintenance can take over your life if you let it, for tips, hints and support in a non-judgmental group situation, please visit THIS SITE
                  This is an exclusive free service, accessible only to members of 911cd.net/forums, brought to you by HappySack Inc

Now Co-sponsored by new Marine Strength ©Windex, when you absolutely positively need all your boats glass surfaces to be streak free....

#9 User is offline   WaveThemes Icon

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

Does anyone know where I may download a copy of this SafeBoot plugin? I have need of it now as well.

#10 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Ultra Member
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:30 PM

; SafeBoot BartPE
                      [Version]
                      Signature= "$Windows NT$"
                      [PEBuilder]
                      Name="SafeBoot"
                      Enable=1
                      Help="safeboot.txt"

[WinntDirectories]
                      a="System32\SafeBoot",1

[SourceDisksFiles]
                      files\SafeBoot.sys=4,,1
                      files\sbalg.sys=4,,1
                      files\rsvlock.sys=4,,1
                      files\sbtag=a,,1
                      files\TxtSetup.OEM=a,,1

[SetupReg.AddReg]
                      0x7,"ControlSet001\Control\Class\ {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}","UpperFilters", "PartMGR","SafeBoot"
                      0x4,"ControlSet001\Services\RsvLock","Type",0x1
                      0x4,"ControlSet001\Services\RsvLock","Start", 0x1
                      0x4,"ControlSet001\Services\RsvLock","ErrorControl", 0x1
                      0x4,"ControlSet001\Services\SafeBoot","Type", 0x1
                      0x4,"ControlSet001\Services\SafeBoot","Start", 0x0
                      0x4,"ControlSet001\Services\SafeBoot","ErrorControl",0x3
                      0x4,"ControlSet001\Services\SBAlg","Type",0x1
                      0x4,"ControlSet001\Services\SBAlg","Start",0x0
                      0x4,"ControlSet001\Services\SBAlg","ErrorControl",0x3
                      0x1,"ControlSet001\Services\SBAlg","Group","Primary Disk"

[Append]
                      ; "winpeoem.sif","sb_winpeoem.sif"
                      "txtsetup.sif","sb_txtsetup.sif"

[SetValue]
                      ; Adjust txtsetup.sif
                      "txtsetup.sif", "SetupData", "loaderprompt", """Starting BartPE with SafeBoot Support..."""

Page 1 of 1
                      • You cannot start a new topic
                      • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                      0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users