Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UBCD4Win build size

#1 User is offline   RShea Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:20 PM

I just ran the latest version 3.20 and downloaded the updater. I ran the updater which also asked about including the plug-in for AVG free edition and a few more items. There is not much in the way of a help file for the updater but I think I did it correctly. After the update batch files and scripts were run I did the build with a Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM CD. It has worked with other earlier versions and no errors were generated during the build. The ISO is out there and I tried to burn it to a CDRW disk (700 mb capacity) and it reports that it is too big. Have not even started to add any commercial software licenses or plug-ins to it just the standard and the updater.

It shows as 704,762 KB. So it obviously will burn to a DVD disk, but will not go to a CDRW without doing a rebuild and taking something out.

#2 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

Hi RShea

when I built ubcd4win V3.20 and added about 40 Meg of graphics drivers I got an ISO of 700Meg (my CD-Rs hold 703 Meg)

you obviously added some extra programs/plugins when doing the update.

leaving out the Emergency Command consol plugin will save about 11 Meg
      otherwise look for programs you are unlikely to use (especially where there are several similar programs)
      did you add the Multiboot Vista Recover Disk option ?

Do you still have PC's without DVD drives ?

regards

Mike Barnes

#3 User is offline   stidyup Icon

• Forum News
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Moderator
        • Location:Yorkshire, UK, Earth, Milky Way, the known Universe and probably the unknown too....

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

Buy a DVD-RW disc ;)

Just remove the plugins you don't want, old PC's may not have DVD-Rom's so the user may have to do a bit of disabling to get it down to a usable file size.

662 MB (694,419,456 bytes) 678,144kb

This is my file size built with WinXP Pro SP2 and I've added a couple of custom plugins.

Even at 704,000kb it should fit on a CD.
        RescueME Virus Removal

Mirror

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

#4 User is offline   RShea Icon

• Pip

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:47 AM

The issue of ISO size can be solved by going to DVD disks with a DVD burner, and most every machine I own have at least DVD players, but the laptop I started the build project to make the ISO on only has a CDRW/DVD player combo drive. So the expense of adding a DVD recorder to it is higher than a desktop. That plus the fact that I will be using this on a wide selection of systems for diagnostics, scanning, recovery etc. and can't always guarantee that they will have anything more than a CD drive.

I redid the build and deselected the AVG free edition and it again is under the 700 meg. So I will have one less AV scanning tool to try and use for those systems. Not a big deal considering that Grisoft will be stopping support and updates for their 7.5 virus software come this upcoming Jan 2009.

This post has been edited by RShea: 10 August 2008 - 01:48 AM

#5 User is offline   पागल Icon

• Pip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:04 AM

I can see powerISO has option to compress ISO's. Can big size ISO compress and fit under CD. Sorry I don't tested yet. I suppose its possible.

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users