• You cannot reply to this topic

USB boot without bios support beta-testers needed

#586 User is offline   krroga54 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:13 PM

View Postkrroga54, on 09 October 2009 - 01:56 PM, said:

View Postpcuser, on 08 October 2009 - 07:48 PM, said:

I guess all this might be pointing towards my build on the memory stick.

What do you think? Should I start removing plugins, like WLAN etc.?

It might be a good idea to start with a fresh UBCD4Win install and make sure that works before adding your customizations.

Good News: I successfully booted my laptop off the nousb cd/memory stick combination once I had disabled the Acronis customisation from my UBCD4Win build.

Interestingly, the boot went straight into UBCD4win and didn't give any Multiboot options. Is this to be expected?

I was hoping to get the Multiboot option to boot, say, PCCheck (which is still a Multiboot option in my build).

Is there something I have to do in order to get the Multiboot options screen? Or do I have to edit the menu.1st file on the memory stick to develop this further?

Many thanks for the fresh-install advise.

Hello, any help would be appreciated.

What do I have to do to get the multiboot options when I boot my laptop using the nousb cd/memory stick combination?

Are there file(s) I need to edit?

Or is it that there are no multiboot options, like Darik's Boot and Goback Removal Tool, displayed when booting in this way?

Even when using a fresh UBCD4Win, I don't see any multiboots.

Thanks.

#587 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:07 PM

What do I have to do to get the multiboot options when I boot my laptop using the nousb cd/memory stick combination?

There is no automated way to do this as of right now but starting with v1.0.46 there's support for manually customizing your kicker cd. Make sure you select "Customize Kicker CD" and when prompted you can add your own images and menu entries.

From post #576:

There's a new option to add custom boot options to your kicker cd. When enabled, it will display a message box just before creating the iso telling you to add your customizations now and click OK when you're finished. This is handy for customizing menu.lst or syslinux.cfg and adding other multiboot options like memtest, spinrite, dban, etc... (why waste the other 660mb?).

If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#588 User is offline   spr Icon

• Pip

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:20 AM

why is it, that on some machines usb boot with the kicker CD is using usb2.0 but direct usb boot without CD in drive is falling back to 1.1?

#589 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

View Postspr, on 14 October 2009 - 07:20 AM, said:

why is it, that on some machines usb boot with the kicker CD is using usb2.0 but direct usb boot without CD in drive is falling back to 1.1?

Many ( if not most ) systems use USB 1.1 by default at boot for compatibility reasons... the kicker CD enables the USB 2 speed if available.
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#590 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:49 AM

@pcuser
            Vista and Windows 7 prohibit direct access to a mounted partition boot record.
            Even a admin dosn't have permisssion. Maybe a system account has more premission.

There are work arrounds:
            Set partition offline at Windows 7, 2008
            http://www.boot-land...indpost&p=73777

Vista is more picky:
            The MBR signature "55AA" is importand too.
            http://www.boot-land...indpost&p=70558
            http://communities.v...tart=0&tstart=0

#591 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for the information cdob. In the MSDN article joakim linked to, MS states that you can also gain write access by locking the drive instead of dismounting it:

The application needs to lock the volume, dismount the volume, or both, before it can issue DASD I/O. This is new to Windows Vista and was done to address potentially malicious techniques.

1. The file system will block all write operations to reserved sections of the disk. In this case, those reserved sections include the MBR and the two FAT areas. To block these areas, you need to lock the volume by sending FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME. You must issue this structure on the same volume handle that performs the actual write operations. This request can fail if there are open file handles. In this case, the application can force a dismount of the file system by issuing FSCTL_DISMOUNT_VOLUME. However, the volume is not actually dismounted until the file handle is closed. Until then, the application can continue to issue DASD I/O by using the same file handle that is currently open.

UBUSB already locks the drive prior to writing to it and unlocks it directly after the write using the LockFile and UnlockFile api functions with the handle returned from a CreateFile api function call for the physical device. That article says to lock the drive with CreateFile, DeviceIOControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME), DeviceIOControl(FSCTL_UNLOCK_VOLUME) which I can easily switch to but the locking method I'm currently using seems to satisfy both Vista and Windows 7 (I don't have Server 2008 to test with). Have you had trouble or do you know of others that have had trouble with UBUSB not being able to gain write access to the physical drive?
              If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#592 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

View Postpcuser, on 15 November 2009 - 11:24 PM, said:

Have you had trouble or do you know of others that have had trouble with UBUSB not being able to gain write access to the physical drive?
                Sorry, should have mentioned this:
                no I've no trouble myself. UBUSB does work, I'm using XP so far.

#593 User is offline   WhiteZero Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:34 PM

So if your running Vista or Win7, your basically screwed right now if you want to make a UBUSB?

#594 User is offline   WhiteZero Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:01 PM

Good news, I was successfully able to use the UBUSB program within a Virtual Machine XP (using VirutalBox) inside of my Windows 7 64bit host. So there is hope for us with Vista and Win7. :D

#595 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:49 PM

Good news, I was successfully able to use the UBUSB program within a Virtual Machine XP (using VirutalBox) inside of my Windows 7 64bit host. So there is hope for us with Vista and Win7.

I haven't had any trouble with Win7 64-bit. Maybe you could mention any problems you've encountered since the title of this thread reads "Beta Testers Needed"?

#596 User is offline   WhiteZero Icon

• Pip

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:21 AM

View Postpcuser, on 23 November 2009 - 10:49 PM, said:

Good news, I was successfully able to use the UBUSB program within a Virtual Machine XP (using VirutalBox) inside of my Windows 7 64bit host. So there is hope for us with Vista and Win7.

I haven't had any trouble with Win7 64-bit. Maybe you could mention any problems you've encountered since the title of this thread reads "Beta Testers Needed"?

UBUSB locks up during formatting for me, when running in Win7.

#597 User is offline   PaulDG Icon

• PipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:31 PM

Zug Zug

• (40 Pages)
                          • +
                          • « First
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users