UBCD4Win Forums: Moved everything over to new flashdrive, now it won't boot anymore. - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Moved everything over to new flashdrive, now it won't boot anymore. What gives?

#1 User is offline   0vermind Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

Hey guys, several months ago I compiled a UBCD4Win and customized it a little made put a version on my flash drive. It used syslinux and ntldr stuff to boot. It worked great! Well, I recently upgraded to a larger flash drive and moved ALL of my files over, including all of the syslinux stuff and everything. Now my new flashdrive won't boot. I have since wiped my old flash drive but that shouldn't be the problem. I have all of the files I did on my old flash drive, so why won't it boot? What gives?

Thanks!
    -Mike
    My blog: www.MikesSupport.com/blog

#2 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

You need to make your new usb drive bootable before copying your files to it. Here's what I would do:

1. Copy all files and folders from your usb drive to a safe place on your harddrive.

2. Download UBUSB to your UBCD4Win folder and run it.

3. Change the dropdown listbox for the bootloader from grub4dos to syslinux and uncheck "Create Kicker CD.." then click "GO" and let it finish.

4. Delete all files and folders from the usb drive EXCEPT for ldlinux.sys (it's a hidden file).

5. Copy all files and folders that you backed up earlier back to your usb drive (except for ldlinux.sys).

6. Boot it...

Next time, use UBUSB to make a backup of your old usb drive (Tools -> Create Backup of USB Drive) then restore it to your new usb drive (Tools -> Restore USB Drive From Backup).
      If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#3 User is online   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:16 PM

View Post0vermind, on Jan 13 2009, 04:09 PM, said:

Well, I recently upgraded to a larger flash drive

What's new flash driv size?

BIOS handle different sized drives different.

There had been some hard disk size difficulties in the past, like 512 mb and 2 gb.
        This cause different behaviour at USB flash drives today.

Build from scratch again.

#4 User is offline   0vermind Icon

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

View Postpcuser, on Jan 13 2009, 11:50 PM, said:

You need to make your new usb drive bootable before copying your files to it. Here's what I would do:

1. Copy all files and folders from your usb drive to a safe place on your harddrive.

3. Change the dropdown listbox for the bootloader from grub4dos to syslinux and uncheck "Create Kicker CD.." then click "GO" and let it finish.

4. Delete all files and folders from the usb drive EXCEPT for ldlinux.sys (it's a hidden file).

5. Copy all files and folders that you backed up earlier back to your usb drive (except for ldlinux.sys).

6. Boot it...

Next time, use UBUSB to make a backup of your old usb drive (Tools -> Create Backup of USB Drive) then restore it to your new usb drive (Tools -> Restore USB Drive From Backup).

Yeah problem is I don't have UBCD4Win installed on my computer anymore, just have the normal files on my flashdrive. I could just redownlaod UBCD4Win but would that change anything? This problem isn't going to copy UBCD4Win onto my flashdrive will it? If not, why does it even need a source folder?

Thanks!
          -Mike

#5 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Admin

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

View Post0vermind, on Jan 14 2009, 03:35 PM, said:

Yeah problem is I don't have UBCD4Win installed on my computer anymore, just have the normal files on my flashdrive. I could just redownlaod UBCD4Win but would that change anything? This problem isn't going to copy UBCD4Win onto my flashdrive will it? If not, why does it even need a source folder?

Thanks!
            -Mike

Don't try to make this into something hard... follow the instructions you were given and that will make the drive bootable again ( something just copying files doesn't do ) ... when you copy the files back to the drive after correcting your error that you created... it should work, IF you follow the instructions you were given properly.
            Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#6 User is offline   MasterxAce Icon

• Pip

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

View Postrdsok, on Jan 14 2009, 05:07 PM, said:

View Post0vermind, on Jan 14 2009, 03:35 PM, said:

Thanks!
              -Mike

Don't try to make this into something hard... follow the instructions you were given and that will make the drive bootable again ( something just copying files doesn't do ) ... when you copy the files back to the drive after correcting your error that you created... it should work, IF you follow the instructions you were given properly.

Simple
              http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

#7 User is offline   0vermind Icon

• Pip

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

View Postpcuser, on Jan 13 2009, 11:50 PM, said:

Okay well the program worked fro the most part. What didn't work is the checkboxes. No matter what I checked or unchecked, in the end it unchecked them all and did a complete format of my flash drive and then copied the kicker (I specifically told it NOT to, via the checkbox). Anyways, I got everything working except the menu is a little weird. Everything boots EXCEPT, BartPE/UBCD4Win does not. Instead, I get the message "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart." UBCD4Win (BartPE) option, it has a black screen with a blinking cursor.

View Postcdob, on Jan 14 2009, 02:16 PM, said:

What's new flash drive size?
                BIOS handle different sized drives different.

There had been some hard disk size difficulties in the past, like 512 mb and 2 gb.
                This cause different behavior at USB flash drives today.

Build from scratch again.

It is 8GB, ReadyBoost optimized flash memory (super fast).

Thanks everyone!
                -Mike

This post has been edited by 0vermind: 15 January 2009 - 03:56 PM

#8 User is offline   0vermind Icon

• Pip

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:35 AM

Guys? What does this error message mean?

#9 User is online   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:43 AM

View Post0vermind, on Jan 15 2009, 03:40 PM, said:

I get the message "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart." UBCD4Win (BartPE) option, it has a black screen with a blinking cursor.

It is 8GB, ReadyBoost optimized flash memory (super fast).

FAT32 bootsector and BIOS mapping dosn't match.
                    Don't use bootsector file anymore.

Update syslinux
                    http://syslinux.zyto...yslinux_Project

Apply sixlinux to USB drive U:
                    syslinux U:

Copy new CHAIN.C32 to \syslinux directory.

Update file \syslinux\syslinux.cfg
                    LABEL ubcd
                      MENU LABEL Launch "The Ultimate Boot CD for Windows"
                      KERNEL chain.c32 hd0 1 ntldr=/MiniNT/setupldr.bin
                      TEXT HELP
                      Runs a pre-installed Windows environment, loaded with diagnostic tools.
                      ENDTEXT

Page 1 of 1
                    • You cannot start a new topic
                    • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                    0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users