UBCD4Win Forums: Has anyone used the "Fix IDE" or "Fix HDC" tools? - UBCD4Win Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has anyone used the "Fix IDE" or "Fix HDC" tools? The perfect way to recover from a replacing a dead motherboard?

#1 User is offline   JordanRieger Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

Sometimes a motherboard dies, and the most suitable replacement board has a different mass storage (IDE/SATA) controller. In this case Windows XP often refuses to boot with the new board, with a BSOD.

The "in place reinstall/repair" procedure described in some places (e.g. http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm) is good but it has a few drawbacks:

- it takes time
    - it doesn't always work if you don't have the right/matching version of Windows (e.g. OEM vs. Retail vs. Corporate)
    - afterwards you need to install all the Windows updates that were published since the release of the service pack used on your CD

If the "Fix IDE" and "Fix HDC" tools on UBCD4WIN worked as described, it could save a lot of people a lot of time, because generally the BSOD is due to the different mass storage controller, and resetting to the default Microsoft Standard PCI/IDE controller would let you boot into Windows and install the drivers for the new motherboard.

I'll have the opportunity to test these tools as soon as I get the new CPU cooler for a friend's PC that I am installing a new motherboard in. I was just wondering if anyone else had used these tools to recover from a dead motherboard without reinstalling Windows on the replacement motherboard.

Jordan Rieger

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:36 AM

Fix HDC is the newer of the two and covers newer controllers better... no problems have been reported
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

View PostJordanRieger, on Jan 23 2009, 12:47 AM, said:

If the "Fix IDE" and "Fix HDC" tools on UBCD4WIN worked as described, it could save a lot of people a lot of time, because generally the BSOD is due to the different mass storage controller
        A mass storage controller change dosn't require a new windows install.
        Fix_HDC does work fine so far at tested hardware.
        It's nice too to change from IDE mode to AHCI mode.

Remember: Other reasons may cause BSOD too.

I'll have the opportunity to test these tools as soon as I get the new CPU cooler for a friend's PC that I am installing a new motherboard in.

Which old and new motherboard do you use?

Actually Nvidia released new strange AHCI drivers.
        A fix_hdc adjustment maybe required and is prepared already.
        Real testing is missing because of no appropiate hardware.
        @all: Tester are highly welcome.

#4 User is offline   JordanRieger Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:03 PM

That's great, I'm looking forward to trying it! Kudos to the developer (is that you, cdob?)

A mass storage controller change dosn't require a new windows install... Remember: Other reasons may cause BSOD too.

Yes, I realize other things can cause a BSOD on boot, but I'm referring specifically to issues involving the mass storage controller as they seem to be the most common when replacing a dead motherboard. In my experience the change to the mass storage controller on the new motherboard, when they are from different chipset families, often causes a BSOD which prevents even Safe Mode from loading. Most people reinstall to fix this, but this tool sounds like just the ticket to avoid it.

Which old and new motherboard do you use?

Dead motherboard is from an eMachines PC, I'm not sure of the exact make/model, but the chipset is Intel, I believe 945G. New motherboard is an ECS GOAL 3+ 1.1C with an SiS 761GX northbridge / 965 southbridge.

Jordan Rieger

#5 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

Fix_IDE was replaced by Fix_HDC which is much better. I use Fix_HDC all the time and it's works great.
            If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#6 User is offline   JordanRieger Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:48 PM

That's awesome. Now I'm actually hoping for a BSOD so that I can try it out (-:

Although I think the mass storage BSOD is less likely when the initial chipset is Intel.

Jordan Rieger

#7 User is offline   JordanRieger Icon

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:49 AM

I just wanted to let you guys know that the tool worked great and I appreciate the effort that went into it.

In case anyone is curious, the swap went like this:

- Installed the new motherboard, booted into Windows, got the BSOD almost immediately. (Same thing when I selected Safe Mode.)
                - Booted into UBCD4Win, ran Fix HDC, rebooted, and this time I got the BSOD later in the boot (after the Windows logo was displayed.) The difference is, this time I was able to reach Safe Mode, so I figured the mass storage driver issue had been resolved, and there was some other issue at play.
                - Installed all the new drivers I could, used the DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES environment variable to show orphaned Device Manager entires, cleaned out Device Manager as much as possible.
                - Reboot = same BSOD
                - Finally I Googled the exact STOP code I was receiving, and it turned out to be an issue with an Intel-specific power management driver (intelppm.sys) that was running (the previous CPU was a Celeron D 330). I followed the MS KBase steps at KB 953396 to manually disable the driver through the registry, and was able to boot into Windows with no problem.

Thanks again,

Jordan Rieger

#8 User is offline   hubdog Icon

• PipPip
                  • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:24 AM

Great follow-up. It's always good to hear the success stories.

-Regards
                  ASCII stupid question, Get A Stupid ANSI.

#9 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:35 AM

View PostMonalisa, on Jan 31 2009, 07:40 AM, said:

Really, will it work as one of my PC's motherboard is not working, can this tool do something in this case
                    Yes, this tool can do something in this case.

General approach is documented: http://support.micro....com/kb/314082/

@JordanRieger
                    Thanks for report.
                    Yes, addional steps maybe necessary. Like disable processor power driver intelppm.sys.

Do you use pciide.sys as mass storage driver now?

#10 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Advanced Member
                    • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:18 PM

Hi All

I tried Fix_HDC for the first time last week when I changed the SATA controller mode from ATA to AHCI
                      I have multiboot with XP (sp3), Vista (sp2) and Windows 7 in separate partition
                      all changes successfull (though I backed up partitons first)

(Intel chipset GA-965P-DS4 motherboard)

regards

Mike Barnes

#11 User is offline   Sweety81 Icon

• Pip

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:24 AM

Hello,
                        fix_hdc is the newest version, so i can remove fixide? Or does fix_hdc need some files from fixide?

#12 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

fix_hdc is the newest version, so i can remove fixide?

You can remove FixIDE.
                          If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#13 User is offline   yourpc Icon

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

I recently had someone ask (almost begged) me to swap a hard drive from a dead HP laptop to another HP they had. I Looked and knew that they were both 9000 series but different models. I was in a hurry and didnt pay attention but one was an AMD based and the other was an Intel based. When I swapped the drive I recieved the 0X0000007b error because I was on a totally different controller and I knew just what to do. I put in the ubcd4win disk and changed HDC with programs on the disk. These were Vista machines but I was able to make it work smoothly with the HDC program and once Vista found all of its new hardware and I put some drivers in for hardware that Vista didnt have drivers for, it was working
                            great. :clapping:

The steps I went through are here: http://www.icompute....repair_0x7b.htm

I normally would not cross back and forth between AMD and Intel platforms but like I said I didnt even bother looking untill after I had made it work and the guy was desperate. I have found the UBCD4win to be a fantastic utility for Windows repairs. Keep up the good work! :worthy:

#14 User is offline   Zedy Icon

• PipPip

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

Didn't work for me.
                              Changed from SIS controller to NVIDIA.
                              Resulted in an unmountable volume error.
                              I was using a cloned copy of original disk onto a perfectly good spare Seagate I had.

#15 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                • Group: Admin

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:20 PM

Sorry to hear it didn't work.
                                I have a success rate of about 95%, but seem to recall that it does seem like it's SIS boards that have given me issues in the past.
                                Since there is no "repair" install method for Vista, this little trick is pretty awesome when switching a Vista system to a new mobo. The 2 I've tried so far have worked!!
                                "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

• (2 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users