UBCD4Win Forums: Error messge while creating CD - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Error messge while creating CD Error message in log file after Norton 360 Virus Alert

#1 User is offline   brianK Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

I am attempting to create the multi-boot CD using the UBCD4Win application.

All the file extraction, decompression, and copying appears to work, EXCEPT for ONE SINGLE FILE -- listed as C:Windows\i386\ipscan.exe. This file is apparently really not part of WINDOWS, but is some "add-on" IP detection function. IF this file is not found in the i386 directory, then the PE function following UBCD4Win does not create the "bootable CD".

Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem? The Norton Utilities 360 on my PC "flags" this file as a "low-level" virus threat.

Thanks for your time.

#2 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#false
      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#3 User is offline   brianK Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the "pointer" to the help information regarding this issue. However, I still seem to have the same issue. I still receive an error message from the PE Builder process regarding the "missing file" --- ipscan.exe -- even if that file has been "downloaded", and copied into the "i386' file on the hard drive.

I do not understand how to fix this problem, at this point.

Thanks for you time.

Brian

View PostbrianK, on Jan 28 2009, 03:52 PM, said:

I am attempting to create the multi-boot CD using the UBCD4Win application.

All the file extraction, decompression, and copying appears to work, EXCEPT for ONE SINGLE FILE -- listed as C:Windows\i386\ipscan.exe. This file is apparently really not part of WINDOWS, but is some "add-on" IP detection function. IF this file is not found in the i386 directory, then the PE function following UBCD4Win does not create the "bootable CD".

Can someone please tell me how to fix this problem? The Norton Utilities 360 on my PC "flags" this file as a "low-level" virus threat.

Thanks for your time.

#4 User is offline   brianK Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:37 PM

Addenda to previous post -- even if you disable the virus protection software while running the build, as recommended here, that would not appear to address the problem that the file ipscan.exe does not appear in the i386 directory.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but if this is an "IP Scan" executable, why does it not appear in the Windows\i386 directory listing?

Thanks.

#5 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Skeptic
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

It does not appear in your Windows/i386/ directory because it is not there.

the reason for you receiving the path like that is because of how the builder program works
            ipscan.exe is actually part of the project files

so, you need to disable your anti--- software or exclude the ubcd4win builder directory from scanning or build in safe mode as suggested

(this is not the recommended method but if you extract the ubcd4winbuilder.exe with for instance UniversalExtractor you will find the elusive files)

This post has been edited by bengt: 28 January 2009 - 06:38 PM

#6 User is offline   brianK Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

bengt --
              I will re-run the extract process with the Universal Extractor, and see if that solves the problem.

I have not performed many "extract and build" functiions under WinXP, so I appreciate the assistance.

Thanks for your response.

#7 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

I will re-run the extract process with the Universal Extractor

That won't work. You can't replace the UBCD4Win extract/install process by extracting it with UniExtract but this method might work to extract "the elusive files" from the archive and copy to your build folder while in safe mode, then rebuild. This method might work for advanced users but it's not recommended.

Use the advice that you've already been given:

so, you need to disable your anti--- software or exclude the ubcd4win builder directory from scanning or build in safe mode as suggested

If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#8 User is offline   dirkgently42 Icon

• Ultra Member
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

@brianK

Don't eat yellow snow.
                  And don't use software in yellow boxes.

This post has been edited by dirkgently42: 28 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

"Ignorance is king. Many would not profit by his abdication. Many enrich themselves by means of his dark monarchy. They are his Court, and in his name they defraud and govern, enrich themselves and perpetuate their power." ; A Canticle for Leibowitz; Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Woo-hoo! M-O-O-N, that spells "Nebraska"! The Stand

Randy: "Hey Earl, someone just told me that Wednesday was hump day, but I don't see any ladies so you watch my back and I'll watch yours." My Name is Earl

GEORGE: Yeah! Look at me! I was free and clear! I was living the dream! I was stripped to the waist, eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery!
                  JERRY: Before we go any further, I'd just like to point out how disturbing it is that you equate eating a block of cheese with some sort of bachelor paradise. Seinfeld

Klaatu barada nikto
                  "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
                  Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Page 1 of 1
                  • You cannot start a new topic
                  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                  0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users