• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ordering from Hong Kong??

#1 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

I generally do not like doing it. I will not order anything Internationally for a customer or for work, but for home......I had to take the chance.

About a week after the kids received their laptops for Xmas, Ben II messed up and broke a key on his keyboard. Luckily I was able to convince HP/Compaq that it was a defect, was not caused by abuse, and that I am able to replace a keyboard!!! Generally a keyboard is not classified as a "customer replaceable part." At the time I was willing to go ahead and buy a keyboard but not when I found the price for them!! $120??!! On a $300 laptop?? Your kidding right? I don't mind buying one because I figure the kids will break keys every once and a while, they are only 13 and 11! That is if I could find a keyboard for only about $30-$50!!!

So fast forward to a week or two ago. Ben II again was the culprit but Troy's laptop was the receiver of the bad deed. Ben became upset and threw a book at his brother, Troy of course was a bit dumb by trying to block that book with his laptop!!
    So now we have 3 or 4 broken keys, luckily it didn't hit the LCD!!

This time it was caused by abuse so there was no way I was going to call HP. I decided to look around on eBay again and ended up finding a few keyboards for $120 again!!! But did find someone in Hong Kong that had one for $45 after shipping. I decided to take the chance and am happy I did. Received the keyboard today and it is in good shape. Looks brand new and works perfectly fine. I really would have preferred to only pay $30 for it, but currently the supply is too low and demand is high......oh well.
    If you really have to.......take the chance and hopefully you will find an honest seller too!!
    "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#2 User is offline   The Piney Icon

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPipPip
      • Group: Members

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

I've made Ebay purchases 2 times so far from Sellers in Hong Kong and I have to say, they were both excellent!! I actually received both packages within 1 week which has been much faster than some of the US sellers packages have arrived. The price both times were so much better than others that I would definitely consider it again. Actually the full price with shipping was about the price that some US seller were charging for just the shipping.. Both of these purchases were for UV lights, 1 a florescent and the other a LED flashlight.

#3 User is offline   dirkgently42 Icon

• Ultra Member
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

I hope y'all ain't gettin' knock-offs. :P
        "Ignorance is king. Many would not profit by his abdication. Many enrich themselves by means of his dark monarchy. They are his Court, and in his name they defraud and govern, enrich themselves and perpetuate their power." ; A Canticle for Leibowitz; Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Woo-hoo! M-O-O-N, that spells "Nebraska"! The Stand

Randy: "Hey Earl, someone just told me that Wednesday was hump day, but I don't see any ladies so you watch my back and I'll watch yours." My Name is Earl

GEORGE: Yeah! Look at me! I was free and clear! I was living the dream! I was stripped to the waist, eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery!
        JERRY: Before we go any further, I'd just like to point out how disturbing it is that you equate eating a block of cheese with some sort of bachelor paradise. Seinfeld

Klaatu barada nikto
        "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
        Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

#4 User is offline   ibionika Icon

• Pip
          • Interests:Nightclubs, dancing

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

Hey Anyone From Hong Kong????

I will be going there for a week in Nov for some training thing so maybe can drop by to some LFS life fish shop

#5 User is offline   Gatorbyte Icon

• Pip

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

I normally am just like steeltripod and only order in the USA. But there are parts that you can only get from honk kong. I have ordered some stuff off ebay (keyboards mainly, from Hong Kong) and have had pretty good luck. The only downside is that it take like sometime a week and half to get the part. I hate waiting that long for something that I can by and have in normally 3 days or so.

gatorbyte

This post has been edited by Gatorbyte: 10 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

#6 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Admin

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

I hate waiting that long also, I'm a very impatient person!! I gave someone neutral feedback because, well I gotta tell the story:

I ordered a DC jack on Wed PM from someone in MI, I'm in OH so I expected it at the latest by Sat. I then needed another and went for price so ordered from a seller in SC. I ordered on Thur in the early afternoon about 2pm, same time as the day before. I've gotta add that the SC seller has always had awesome shipping and I normally order from them!! So Sat comes and I receive the one from the SC seller and that's it??!! Monday rolls around and I finally receive the MI order??!!! I was a little ticked but calmed down enough to only give neutral and not be too nasty. Plus I figured I was being unreasonable.

So anyways. I've ordered a few more times from Hong Kong/China/whatever over there. Recently ordered some capacitors cause I couldn't find them anywhere else and they price was awesome. Received in just over a week, not too bad. Late last week I couldn't pass up the price on a lot of 10 DC jacks, only $29.99. Other US sellers want $7-$10 for them! So luckily I haven't received the customer's laptop yet, they aren't in that big of a hurry, and as a matter of fact haven't even shipped it to me yet. Even though I generally ignore the "I'm in no big hurry" thing because I love having my less than 24hr turnaround on repairs, but I just couldn't for that price!! Let's see how long these take to get to me?
              "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#7 User is offline   Gedrean Icon

• Advanced Member
              • PipPipPipPip
                • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:53 PM

View PostGatorbyte, on 10 August 2009 - 05:37 PM, said:

...I normally am just like steeltripod...

Oh my god, so help me I just spit coke on my monitor. I don't think he's THAT lucky.;)

Seriously though, meat of the post: I used to order a lot of my NDS hacking/homebrew supplies online from HK (while I was employed) and they were generally mountains of awesome. Depended on the seller though. Though, once I got my CycloDS (mah baby!) from a local reseller I've frequented them a lot more - their prices are actually cheaper, shipping considered. Though, true, there are lots of parts you CANNOT get locally. Plus, it's hard to find some particular DVDs, one of which I've been searching RELIGIOUSLY for: Star Wars: Backstroke of the West.

Look it up, it's a hilarious bootleg of Revenge of the Sith (ep 3)
                Here since February 2007, and just now got 7 demerits. I love me some Troll thread.

Page 1 of 1
                • You cannot start a new topic
                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users