#1 User is offline   SteveCGElliott Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

When I install UBCD4WinV322.exe
    It completes and confirms all checksums
    But there is no UBCD4WinBuilder.exe in the directory

(there is one file removed by my antivirus
    "plugin\Password\passwordspro\files\PasswordsPro.exe, D091FCE0A6AE0C23C2E84BF8DBC4A2D9 has been removed."

But this does not seem to be relevant to the main program.

What is happening here?

#2 User is offline   Joshua Icon

• Development Team
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development
      • Interests:Computer, Bikes, and many others

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:48 AM

View PostSteveCGElliott, on Mar 11 2009, 05:08 AM, said:

What is happening here?

Have you ever read the FAQ ????
      Have you ever use the forum search function ???
      This has been answered before!!!

Joshua
      my plugin homepage:
      <a href="http://www.drowaelder.de/winpe/PEIndex.htm" target="_blank">http://www.drowaelder.de/winpe/PEIndex.htm</a>

#3 User is offline   thomasjk Icon

• Advanced Member
      • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

Read this http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#false.
        Tom K.

#4 User is offline   Gedrean Icon

• Advanced Member
        • PipPipPipPip
          • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

While I would be quick to high-five yet another successful FAQ referral, the fact that it failed is more amusing right now.

The question was "Where is my UBCD4WinBuilder.exe" not "why did this file get removed as a virus" which the user even stated seemed irrelevant to the main program not being there.

Question, SteveCGElliott:
          Did you see any other files removed at the same time? Was the installation cancelled with an error after that happened?
          Are you looking in the directory in which you directed UBCD4WIN to install? (That may not be the same as the directory you downloaded UBCD4WinV322.exe to)

You may want to check C:\UBCD4WIN or something like that.

Also, you may have had it create a program group (for your start menu) - if so try to launch it from there - if it works then maybe you just overlooked the builder.exe.

Happy trials ;).

EDIT: Oh, and uhh, I would disable your AV software and reinstall to get that other app that was deleted back. Kinda useful. Hee.

This post has been edited by Gedrean: 11 March 2009 - 09:52 AM

Here since February 2007, and just now got 7 demerits. I love me some Troll thread.

#5 User is offline   SteveCGElliott Icon

• Pip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:04 PM

View PostGedrean, on Mar 12 2009, 01:51 AM, said:

Did you see any other files removed at the same time?
            Was the installation cancelled with an error after that happened?
            Are you looking in the directory in which you directed UBCD4WIN to install?

You may want to check C:\UBCD4WIN or something like that.

Also, you may have had it create a program group (for your start menu) - if so try to launch it from there - if it works then maybe you just overlooked the builder.exe.

Happy trials ;).

EDIT: Oh, and uhh, I would disable your AV software and reinstall to get that other app that was deleted back. Kinda useful. Hee.

Gedrean,

Thank you for reading my post and understanding its plain meaning without bursting into flame!!

The only file logged as missing was the PasswordsPro.exe
            The only way I know UBCD4WinBuilder.exe is missing is that both my desktop shortcut and my Program Group shortcut fail to find the target.
            The installation seemed to complete with all the checksum reporting OK.
            There are no other UBCD4WIN directories in other places.
            What do you mean "overlooked the builder.exe"?
            I downloaded UBCD4WinV322.exe a number of times from a number of mirrors. They all md5sum --check OK.
            Should this install every thing? or should I also download something else?

I will follow your suggestion and turn off AV and see if that helps.

(BTW: I get the dame symptoms with V320)

Steve

#6 User is offline   SteveCGElliott Icon

• Pip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

I find this Explanation

If any file fails then UBCD4WinBuilder.exe will not install.

(
              Now I want to get pedantic...
              Comments followed my initial post told me to read the FAQ and search the board.
              A direct link was offered to take me to the FAQ (thanks)

The FAQ had no reference to UBCD4WinBuilder.exe and there is no reference to installation failure.

Searching the forum for "UBCD4WinBuilder.exe fails install" produced so many returns it was useless.
              In the first page of 34 pages of results I found no explanation.

If you feel like responding to posts for which you know the answer please post a direct link to the answer.

It is not useful to flame the poster to search further when that has obviously been done.

If you feel the need to flame just don't post - that is in fact less work and less stress!

)

Many thanks for all the help received.

Steve

#7 User is offline   dirkgently42 Icon

• Ultra Member
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:31 PM

@SteveCGElliott
                Can you start from scratch and try installing and building in safe mode?
                "Ignorance is king. Many would not profit by his abdication. Many enrich themselves by means of his dark monarchy. They are his Court, and in his name they defraud and govern, enrich themselves and perpetuate their power." ; A Canticle for Leibowitz; Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Woo-hoo! M-O-O-N, that spells "Nebraska"! The Stand

Randy: "Hey Earl, someone just told me that Wednesday was hump day, but I don't see any ladies so you watch my back and I'll watch yours." My Name is Earl

GEORGE: Yeah! Look at me! I was free and clear! I was living the dream! I was stripped to the waist, eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery!
                JERRY: Before we go any further, I'd just like to point out how disturbing it is that you equate eating a block of cheese with some sort of bachelor paradise. Seinfeld

Klaatu barada nikto
                "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
                Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

#8 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:25 AM

SteveCGElliott

You were not flamed anywhere... but you were told that answers for this situation have been provided many times and suggested to use the forum search. In fact, the FAQ you were pointed at to read was a big clue. One of your protection softwares have blocked or removed the file in question which resulted in your issue.
                  Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#9 User is offline   dirkgently42 Icon

• Ultra Member
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:28 AM

SteveCGElliott said:

Thank you for reading my post and understanding its plain meaning without bursting into flame!!

View Postrdsok, on Mar 12 2009, 12:25 AM, said:

SteveCGElliott

You were not flamed anywhere... but you were told that answers for this situation have been provided many times and suggested to use the forum search. In fact, the FAQ you were pointed at to read was a big clue. One of your protection softwares have blocked or removed the file in question which resulted in your issue.
                    /

flame examples:
                    mild flame
                    major flame
                    ...sometimes we can get carried away, rest assured YOU have not been flamed.

Please try to apply the suggestions and help that users have offered in their spare time.

This post has been edited by dirkgently42: 12 March 2009 - 02:44 AM

"Ignorance is king. Many would not profit by his abdication. Many enrich themselves by means of his dark monarchy. They are his Court, and in his name they defraud and govern, enrich themselves and perpetuate their power." ; A Canticle for Leibowitz; Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Woo-hoo! M-O-O-N, that spells "Nebraska"! The Stand

Randy: "Hey Earl, someone just told me that Wednesday was hump day, but I don't see any ladies so you watch my back and I'll watch yours." My Name is Earl

GEORGE: Yeah! Look at me! I was free and clear! I was living the dream! I was stripped to the waist, eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery!
                    JERRY: Before we go any further, I'd just like to point out how disturbing it is that you equate eating a block of cheese with some sort of bachelor paradise. Seinfeld

Klaatu barada nikto
                    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
                    Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

#10 User is offline   Gedrean Icon

• Advanced Member
                    • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:25 AM

Okay, given what we now know, two things:

1. Yes the user could have watched for the popup message at the end of install, it would have detailed that the builder was not extracted due to the error that came up of one program having been deleted.
                      2. It could be beneficial to clear this up in the "False Positive" section of the FAQ, or adding a new question where the Builder was not extracted to explain that if any files are missing or if the checksum comes up invalid (such as the case of bad download or antivirus false positive) then the Builder is not extracted.

That would probably clear up some of the posts like this, and prevent some of our users ( Joshua ;)) from getting a bit... rambunctious in the reply ;). Admittedly, it was a previously answered question (in archives at least, and in a recent post which was made around the same time yours was). But the tone of the reply seemed a bit... harsh or jumping-down-throat-ish, from a 3rd party perspective.

However, I will agree, that as this is all provided during spare time, try'n be nice everyone. ;)

Job's done, everybody go home.:)

Seriously though, consider #2. Maybe an addition/edit/update to that FAQ part, or as I said an additional FAQ question.
                      Here since February 2007, and just now got 7 demerits. I love me some Troll thread.

#11 User is offline   SteveCGElliott Icon

• Pip

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

View PostGedrean, on Mar 13 2009, 01:25 AM, said:

... watched for the popup message at the end of install, it would have detailed that the builder was not extracted due to the error that came up of one program having been deleted....

Well I think we get to the cause of My confusion... I don't see any popup at the end of install ...

My full list of displayed dialogs are posted here.

Thanks again for all the help and effort put in by everyone to get these issues solved and the UBCD4Win working cleanly.

Steve

#12 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • Group: Admin

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

View PostSteveCGElliott, on Mar 12 2009, 07:51 PM, said:

get these issues solved and the UBCD4Win working cleanly.

Your kidding right? UBCD4Win, more cleanly?
                          Joshua uses a few extra ?'s and !'s and you think that is flaming?

The cause is clear and explained. Sure some of the FAQ's need some additional information but I apologize for having a full time job so I can feed my family.
                          YOUR AV/AS software is the problem and our "message boxes" do clue you into what is going on. A few files are missing and there is a log file generated that tells you what files were deleted by your AV/AS software. Therefore UBCD4WinBuilder.exe is not extracted because users might...NO WILL...ignore any messages that come up and will try to build and then ask WHY here in the forum.
                          I think the messages that come up are sufficient, however there are always a few people that need us to "hold their hand" when building UBCD4Win.

Now that was a little closer to flaming.

Since very few people understand what riskware, etc. are.....we plan to release a new version soon that will be missing these extremely useful tools, just so the poor people out there that feel they can't or shouldn't spend 5-10 minutes reading so they would actually UNDERSTAND what is going on and understand what riskware and false positives are.
                          "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#13 User is offline   Gedrean Icon

• Advanced Member
                          • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:07 AM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Mar 12 2009, 09:27 PM, said:

Since very few people understand what riskware, etc. are.....we plan to release a new version soon that will be missing these extremely useful tools, just so the poor people out there that feel they can't or shouldn't spend 5-10 minutes reading so they would actually UNDERSTAND what is going on and understand what riskware and false positives are.

Naw, at this point I'm not even defending what OP's writing.

I'd even happily volunteer to take the issue of adding stuff to the FAQ, or even submitting suggested verbiage to include a note once the code goes to the point where it refuses to include the builder.exe that the builder was not included due to errors in the buildEDIT: Extraction process.

But don't strip useful tools out of what is essentially a kickass awesome utility. That just makes things pooty.

Love it as it is :)

This post has been edited by Gedrean: 13 March 2009 - 03:10 AM

#14 User is offline   djmuk Icon

• Pip

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:06 AM

OK here's a suggestion or 2 (having been caught by this & EVENTUALLY found these threads on page 2 of a search for "ubcd4winbuilder missing")

I don't recall seeing a popup clearly stating that the builder hadn't been installed and the virus FAQ doesn't clearly state that it won't be installed and appears at first reading to be entirely unrelated....

Suggestion 1;
                              Include a FAQ clearly titled "The builder (ubcd4winbuilder.exe) is missing"

Suggestion 2
                              Instead of not installing the builder install a dummy version that display a message stating WHY it is missing..

This might then save certain members blood pressure and typing fingers.....

David

Page 1 of 1
                              • You cannot start a new topic
                              • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users