UBCD4Win Forums: Earth Hour 2009. - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Earth Hour 2009. WWF environmental concern. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Elf Wizard Icon

• Pip
    • Group: BETA Tester
    • Interests:Computers, Art in general (Movies, Songs, Books, Comics etc.).

Post icon  Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:54 AM

Hi! B)

I just realized that the time for Earth Hour 2009 has just come.
    Actually, it will come at Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 8:30 pm–local time.

Earth Hour, is an annual "action support" event of WWF, that tries to "wake up" governments and individual citizens worldwidth, for increasing the sensitivity for environmental solutions, before its "too late".
    And of course, solving them now, instead of passing them to the next generations.

More informations on
    Earth Hour page.

US citizens, can subscribe here.,

Other countries citizens, can go to the WWF main page, choose their country, and when WWF local site opens, and click the big top banner (Earth Hour related). It will open a new page, at Earth Hour site, localized for the specific country.

Happy concern!
    ;)
    Speak "Friend" and enter, or...

#2 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

• PipPip
      • Group: Members

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

I'll burn an old tire to celebrate earth hour. I may turn on some of my 500-watt quartz lights to further show my support.

#3 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Admin

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

Oh man, and I was worried about being offensive.

Anyways, thanks to Al Gore and the manbearpig debacle.....I don't believe in anything. I've always had a problem with global warming anyways. Then of course I made the mistake of listening to Rush Limbaugh the other day and honestly I am in a HUGE fog. I always thought I was a republican but I dunno what to think of comments I heard the other day. People are seriously complaining that if they make $500,000 a year in Chicago they would have to earn $740,000 in New York to have the same standard of living??
        And in order for the Obama family to even make it in Chicago, a fake $300K job is made in a hospital for Michelle? All paid for by hippie democratic supporters?
        Not that it really matters much anyways because I'm sure there is plenty that Republicans do that would make me wanna puke!!
        The fun thing to really think about here is WE morons elect all these "rich" people into office and they promise to make things better. They don't care about us and by us I mean the poor majority that has voted them in. Us majority honestly are not represented anywhere. My head hurts, I can't think anymore.
        "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#4 User is offline   Elf Wizard Icon

• Pip
          • Group: BETA Tester
          • Interests:Computers, Art in general (Movies, Songs, Books, Comics etc.).

Post icon  Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

View Postturbine_blade, on Mar 28 2009, 02:27 AM, said:

I'll burn an old tire to celebrate earth hour. I may turn on some of my 500-watt quartz lights to further show my support.

:D:D:D

Thanks God you didn't had any phosphor bombs handy!
          Why this?
          Are you dislike us (earthling creatures)?

OK! Just kidding!
          :cool2:

View PostSteelTrepid, on Mar 28 2009, 03:43 AM, said:

Oh man, and I was worried about being offensive.

Oh! No problem!
          We're just talking!

View PostSteelTrepid, on Mar 28 2009, 03:43 AM, said:

Anyways, thanks to Al Gore and the manbearpig debacle.....I don't believe in anything.
          head hurts, I can't think anymore.

Correct!
          I don't believe in politicians either! They're only good in making wars and killing innocent people, both sides.
          Thanks God, here no politician supported this concern. Only a TV station.
          I don't like WWF either!
          Here, at my neighborhood, wars arising every now and then, like mushrooms after the rain.
          Wars with nuclear uranium weapons (mainly bombs). These "innocent" uranium weapons consequences, are cancers and genetic problems for the next generations.
          Of course, WWF never heard of it, and never told a single word against these "smart" (???) weapons!
          They're hypocrites, just like the politicians are.
          Anyway! I ignored them, and I just turned my lights off for an hour.
          I'm always in, for a good concern! :D

From what I show (later on TV), it was a success here, showing (from satellite images) a gray wave (light absence) rolling over the North Mediterranean costs.

Anyway! Now that the concern is history, it's up to us (to all of us) to strangle for our own rights.
          Best Wishes for a victorious everyday's struggling against all oppressors!!!
          ;)
          Speak "Friend" and enter, or...

#5 User is offline   dirkgently42 Icon

• Ultra Member
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

It's all Greek to me. :P
            "Ignorance is king. Many would not profit by his abdication. Many enrich themselves by means of his dark monarchy. They are his Court, and in his name they defraud and govern, enrich themselves and perpetuate their power." ; A Canticle for Leibowitz; Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Woo-hoo! M-O-O-N, that spells "Nebraska"! The Stand

Randy: "Hey Earl, someone just told me that Wednesday was hump day, but I don't see any ladies so you watch my back and I'll watch yours." My Name is Earl

GEORGE: Yeah! Look at me! I was free and clear! I was living the dream! I was stripped to the waist, eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery!
            JERRY: Before we go any further, I'd just like to point out how disturbing it is that you equate eating a block of cheese with some sort of bachelor paradise. Seinfeld

Klaatu barada nikto
            "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
            Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

#6 User is offline   bilbo Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

There is global warming. It has been going on since the middle of the last ICE AGE. The earth has been going hot and cold for thousands of times in millions of years. Don't think there is much we can do about it!

#7 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Skeptic
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

All scientific theories have to be tested and proven correct or false. If a theory cannot be tested and the results are just assumed, it is false science, pseudo science. Mathematical models predicting global weather and temperature is no better than a game of The Sims. It does not prove anything.

I belive some global heating is happening, what I do not belive is that it is man made (until PROVEN otherwise).

I need power to run my computers so I will NEVER turn off any electricity. :thumbdown:

I hail the burning of tires tactic, maybe I can build a turbine to harvest that energy to run my 'puters? :crazyhappy:
                The downside to this is that it will create a good bit of smoke and noise in my small apartment... :combust:

This post has been edited by bengt: 29 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

#8 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

• PipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

I apologize if I offended anyone. I use many CF bulbs in my house, and I will add LED bulbs when the price comes down. The LED bulbs produce light with very low wattage. Of course, the power companies will need to increase the price to make up for loss of revenue. Add in the Obana cap-and-trade carbon tax, and you will find youself using candles.

We had a month without sun spots in 2008. This had not been witnessed in many decades. Hence, we have been a little cooler in the US this year. When was the last time we had a blizzard in Kansas on March 28? There has been much snow activity recently now that we are in Spring!

Here is some food for thought:

During the Maunder Minimum, a period of diminished solar activity between 1645 and 1715, sunspots were rare on the face of the sun, sometimes disappearing entirely for months to years. At the same time, Earth experienced a bitter cold period known as the "Little Ice Age."

http://www.scienceda...90328163643.htm

Enough, population doom merchants

http://www.timesonli...icle5993076.ece

U.N. 'Climate Change' Plan Would Likely Shift Trillions to Form New World Economy

http://www.foxnews.c...,510937,00.html

I would like to add that I have also been feeling out of sorts lately as mentioned by Steel. There is too much "stuff" going on right now. I plan on bicycle riding soon, and cutting back on calories. I need to stay informed, but not too informed.

This post has been edited by turbine_blade: 29 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

#9 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

I have recently came to a little realization that makes me laugh every so often.
                    I see these commercials and such talking about saving energy, blah, blah, and using CF light bulbs, etc. We must conserve!!

It makes me laugh because I have honestly been using CF light bulbs for more than 5 years now!! The only reason why I did? Not really to conserve, but to save ME some money! Sure I paid more for the bulbs, but careful tracking of the bulbs has allowed me to MAKE the manufacturers honor the warranties they put on these bulbs. Last time I sent in about 4-6 bulbs and complained in a letter quite a bit that it is sad that these lights usually do not make it close to their claimed warranty. What did I get? I received 5 $10 off coupons for bulbs from GE!! I've bought about 24 replacements with that $50 so right now I'm not worried about the warranties anymore, well until I have to actually pay for some that is. I don't expect them to honor the warranty on those replacement bulbs, seems a little unfair so I haven't kept the receipts and haven't dated my bulbs when I install them.

Anyways, everyone seems to be on the CF bandwagon now. It makes me laugh because I was an early adopter of these to save money on my electric bill. The fun thing though, I really haven't saved any on my electric bills. But that is entirely my fault because the additional computers running in the house have filled in the possible savings. So the electric company is still happy.

I just wish solar power was more affordable, I am almost ready to make that jump.....but am too poor to do so. Plus I really don't like the idea of having my basement full of batteries to power my house. Having no electric bill would take care of that problem, but I really don't see where it will actually save me money yet. I figure in the 5-10 years it takes for a system like this to pay for itself things will start to need replaced so I'm still spending money. Oh well, some day!!

Finally, I'm not even gonna get started on the global warming thing. It's a load of crap and it's just NORMAL climate change. I wish al gore would just disappear, he is the biggest moron in the world!
                    "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#10 User is offline   papagresh Icon

• PipPip
                      • Group: Donators

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

View PostElf Wizard, on Mar 27 2009, 06:54 AM, said:

]I just realized that the time for Earth Hour 2009 has just come.

Elf Wizard,

Nothing personal, but I read that as "Yet Another Chapter of 'Nut Jobs On Parade' ..."

The surge created by coming out of the ridiculous one hour period used more energy than was saved -- typical of such foolish exercises.

As to CF bulbs, I don't want them anywhere near me, given a choice -- especially if children are present. If one is broken, a potentially deadly hazmat/biohazard condition exists -- and clean up is very dangerous. No thank you. My present stockpile of 900 or so incandescents should see me (pun intended) well into the hereafter.

And don't get me started on the global warming hoax. I have a copy of a 1979 Newsweek article in which the same bunch of liberal hand-wringers was predicting our impending demise due to the looming ice age (global cooling). Leftist liberal loons never change -- they just change t-shirts and bumper stickers.

Rant over. I feel better. Skahyooze me.
                      Blessings,

- Papagresh

"Everybody seems to need somebody to look down on. If you can find nobody else, just help yourself to me ..." -Anon

evidence proof

#11 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Skeptic
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Mar 29 2009, 11:03 PM, said:

Finally, I'm not even gonna get started on the global warming thing. It's a load of crap and it's just NORMAL climate change. I wish al gore would just disappear, he is the biggest moron in the world!

Thank you! I agree. And on the Al Gore comment... :clapping:

#12 User is offline   pumpkin Icon

• Don't forget your wives!!!!
                        • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

Ya know not all Dems. believe in global warming I know I don't. It is proven that it has happened before and will again it is the natural earth cycle. I've considered myself a hard core Dem forever except on this one thing. Its kinda funny its the one thing me and steel and agree on. I do believe in doing things to help save the earth like recycling and shit like that(mostly so that the landfills don't over flow and I have to live in trash) but I know one day a long time from now the earth will die, the sun will burn out and so will everything on it no matter what we do or don't do. By then we most likely will have found another planet to live on or aliens will have killed us all anyway lol. Yep I believe in them to. There is no way we are the only ones around but I guess that is a discussion for another day. Back to my point not all Dems are hippy freaks trust me they get on my nerves just as much as everyone else. :banana::banana::banana:
                          Just a cow

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users