• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

recovery console/saving via usb.

#1 User is offline   skinters Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:07 AM

Hello

I have a problem where by i try to log in,but it automaticly logs out.I have looked for fixes,which led me to trying the ubcd,in a attempt to use a recovery console.Does ubcd have one ? At the very least i would like to somehow save important files to usb,are there any tutorials for this ?

I read that i cannot access NFTS system using DOS commands,is this right ? sorry i am not computer literate and any help would be appreciated.

regards.

#2 User is offline   papagresh Icon

• PipPip
      • Group: Donators

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:36 AM

View Postskinters, on Apr 3 2009, 05:07 AM, said:

I have a problem where by i try to log in,but it automaticly logs out.I have looked for fixes,which led me to trying the ubcd,in a attempt to use a recovery console.Does ubcd have one ? At the very least i would like to somehow save important files to usb,are there any tutorials for this ?

I read that i cannot access NFTS system using DOS commands,is this right ? sorry i am not computer literate and any help would be appreciated.

skinters,

UBCD4Win can most likely help you, and maybe even enable you to repair your system, which from your brief description seems to have been infected by malware. The process will take some time and will require considerable effort from you. Data recovry via USB is also possible under UBCD4Win.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode, and do you have another system on which to build a UBCD4Win disk?

The search function on this forum is very useful. A brief search for "login" turned up this thread, which might be helpful:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/...showtopic=12675
      Blessings,

- Papagresh

"Everybody seems to need somebody to look down on. If you can find nobody else, just help yourself to me ..." -Anon

evidence proof

#3 User is offline   skinters Icon

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:26 AM

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode, and do you have another system on which to build a UBCD4Win disk?

I have tried going into safe mode but it logs out the same way.I found a solution to the problem but i need to access c/
        Type "COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE" (again, without quotes) and hit ENTER. This makes a copy of "userinit.exe" and simultaneously names the new copy "wsaupdater.exe".

Type "EXIT" and ENTER. Remove the XP CD while the system is restarting.

The user should now be able to log in normally... but there is one more thing that needs to be done or the issue will repeat itself when the user runs his anti-spyware program again.

Once logged into an administrator account, click the START button.

Choose RUN from the Start Menu.

Enter "REGEDT32" in the OPEN window (notice there is no "i" in edit) and click OK.

By clicking on the + signs next to each branch, click through the tree in the left pane until you get to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENTVERSION\WINLOGON

Click on the WINLOGON folder in the left pane tree, so that it is highlighted.

Look for "UserInit" in the right pane. It should have a value of "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe," (yes, there is a comma at the end of the value). Double-click on "UserInit" and carefully change its value to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,". Click OK.

But i need the recovery console to do this.If not i just want to copy my documents to usb,and do a fresh install of xp.I do have access to another system but think building a disk might be beyond me.thanks for the help i appreciate it .

#4 User is offline   papagresh Icon

• PipPip
          • Group: Donators

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:14 AM

View Postskinters, on Apr 4 2009, 04:26 AM, said:

But i need the recovery console to do this.If not i just want to copy my documents to usb,and do a fresh install of xp.I do have access to another system but think building a disk might be beyond me.thanks for the help i appreciate it.

skinters,

Suit yourself. Your problem is exactly the kind of thing UBCD4Win was designed to help with. Once booted from a UBCD4Win disk, you could easily edit your registry and scan/remove malware. If you can follow simple instructions, it is fairly easy to build a working disk. I will say that it is much easier if you have a standalone (retail) Windows XP installation disk, but many OEM disks work well also. Dell OEM disks are notorious for causing problems, but workarounds abound. If you are prepared to spend a little time, you can probably repair your system completely. You can also easily copy your documents safely to USB using UBCD4Win. Once built, a UBCD4Win disk is ready to use for future problems as well.

The Recovery Console is a very primitive environment that is no picnic to use. If you're sure the Recovery Console is what you want, you should be able to get there by booting from your XP installation CD. You may have to go into your system BIOS (Setup) and set the boot drive to CD/DVD beforehand. I'd bet you would be more successful (and certainly more comfortable) with UBCD4Win, but the choice is yours to make.

If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're exactly right ...

Either way, good luck!

[Edit] BTW, this thread probably belongs in the General Questions category. Maybe one of the moderators would be kind enough to move it for us.

This post has been edited by papagresh: 04 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

Blessings,

- Papagresh

"Everybody seems to need somebody to look down on. If you can find nobody else, just help yourself to me ..." -Anon

evidence proof

#5 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

Hello,
            UBCD4WIN is better than recovery console
            but if you want a recovry console here is one:
            here is a recovery console for XP Home Edition SP2 it is approx. 5MB
            it could come handy for people without proper Windows CDs (How make your own )
            http://rapidshare.co...733563/XPRC.exe

once down loaded to deskTop put an empty CD-R in Cd rewriter Drive
            then double click on the icon to make a bootable XP home SP2 recovery console Bootable CD
            then follow these instructions:
            just for future reference
            I down loaded that Bootable Cd myself to test it
            when you boot with it and choose R for recovery console
            then choose 1 and enter
            then if you have no password just enter on key board (for Blank )
            you get
            C:\ windows> prompt
            type :
            chkdsk /R
            and enter
            you get please type path to file AUTOCHK.EXE
            when you see that type
            C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
            and enter on key board
            that now starts off the chkdsk /R
            and it worked on my PC

Ben_mott

#6 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

Just an FYI:
              The Windows Recovery Console is already an option in the first menu you see when booting UBCD4WIN.
              Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

Page 1 of 1
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users