Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Restore from Win XP Backup file Restore

#1 User is offline   ems_pilot Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

Just successfully burned UBCD4WinV32.2 Thanks! I have a questions about Windows Backup / Restore: I set up a customer computer to back up documents, (once a day), and a total system backup once a week. I added a second HDD solely for the backups in case the main HDD dies. The computer runs Win XP Home. (I had to add the backup feature as it is not part of XP Home.) My question is this- If the C: drive dies and I replace it, is there a way after booting UBCD to restore the total system backup from the backup drive, to the new C: drive? I don't see any program on the UBCD that uses the file format that XP uses in their backup. Thanks! Steve- Mesa, AZ

#2 User is offline   papagresh Icon

• PipPip
      • Group: Donators

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

View Postems_pilot, on Apr 7 2009, 09:55 AM, said:

Just successfully burned UBCD4WinV32.2 Thanks! I have a questions about Windows Backup / Restore: I set up a customer computer to back up documents, (once a day), and a total system backup once a week. I added a second HDD solely for the backups in case the main HDD dies. The computer runs Win XP Home. (I had to add the backup feature as it is not part of XP Home.) My question is this- If the C: drive dies and I replace it, is there a way after booting UBCD to restore the total system backup from the backup drive, to the new C: drive? I don't see any program on the UBCD that uses the file format that XP uses in their backup. Thanks! Steve- Mesa, AZ

ems_pilot,

I assume you are actually referring to UBCD4Win ... UBCD is an entirely different application.

If you are backing up documents only, then that would require reinstalling the OS and then restoring the documents after a crash. You could use an imaging utility to create an image of the entire hard drive. Then you can just restore the image and have everything as it was when the image was created. UBCD4Win includes some applications that do this. Depending on your needs you could do an image backup weekly or monthly and use simple daily document backups in between. There are also some very good commercial apps. Some like Ghost. I prefer Acronis TrueImage. There are other solutions as well, such as Imagex/Gimagex.

If for some reason you must use the native file format you can simply use xcopy from a batch file, but that will not work for restoring the system itself.
      Blessings,

- Papagresh

"Everybody seems to need somebody to look down on. If you can find nobody else, just help yourself to me ..." -Anon

evidence proof

#3 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip
        • Group: Members

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

Hello,
        Acronis True Image 11 is really professional and has a Bart PE plugin:

http://www.acronis.c.../105/index.html

buy it and then you can put the plugin on Bart PE using the productkey and the above plugin from their web sit.

(!) The installation packages of Acronis True Image 11 Home and Acronis True Image Home 2009 do not include the plug-in for BartPE. To get the plug-in you will need to download a separate installation file from your account:

* Go to http://www.acronis.com/my/
        * Register the serial number for your copy of Acronis True Image (if it is not registered yet);
        * Click Registered Products;
        * Under the registered product click on Bart PE & Safe Media to download the plug-in.

they also provide a boot manager ans wizard to make ahidden partition which when you press F11 it recovers the image .

====================
        # Save data to special partition on your hard drive, the Acronis Secure Zone. There is no need to purchase an extra hard drive, CDs, or DVDs to protect your data. This is especially useful for notebook computers.
        # Use Try&Decide feature to install potentially unstable software or downloading suspicious e-mails to evaluate them and then decide if you want to keep this stuff on your machine or revert the system back in seconds by simply rebooting your computer.
        # Restart your computer by hitting the F11 key in case you computer does not boot correctly with the Acronis Recovery Manager. Even if your operating system has been deleted, the Acronis Recovery Manager can boot your computer
        =============================

Regards Ben

This post has been edited by ben_mott: 07 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

Page 1 of 1
        • You cannot start a new topic
        • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
        0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users