Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help with wireless driver

#1 User is offline   Question? Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

Can anyone help me with setting up wireless?
    I'm using a Dell Studio 1535, with wireless card (model: Dell 1397 WLAN Mini-card).
    The problem is I tried my very best to incorporate the driver into the system, but its still not working. I need to add that I did the build from a working XP installation, which OS I had a very hard time locating the drivers for on the Dell Studio 1535, as Dell does not carry any drivers for my model besides Vista ones.

Is there some "procedure" to "manually install" the drivers into the installation on the UFD? I placed the drivers where they were supposed to go in the build, and they got copied to the UFD in the right place (i think...), but its still not working for some reason. So how would I go about setting up the driver, to make sure its compatible?

This post has been edited by Question?: 07 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

#2 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

• PipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Try reading through this link: http://www.ubcd4win.com/...o...501&hl=D610

I believe the wireless problem you have requires the same fix as rdosk suggested to delete the folder with the competing driver file names.

This topic has almost all the answers you need.

Cheers

This post has been edited by turbine_blade: 07 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

#3 User is offline   havok333 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

I'll try to help as best I can...

First, the last sentence of your post should be easy enough to check out, and I realize from reading your posts on another site that you had to get your drivers from a website other than Dell's. Take the driver package that you know works in Windows XP and extract it somewhere accessible within you PE environment. Then boot up your PE as you've been doing and go into Device Manager. Find your non-working device and try to manually install the drivers (Update Driver), pointing to your extracted files.

This was the first step I took when trying to get my own laptop's wireless drivers working, but I was able to get drivers straight from Dell's website since mine is compatible with WinXP. When you know you have some drivers that will work, we can go from there. :yes:

#4 User is offline   Question? Icon

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

View Posthavok333, on Apr 7 2009, 05:27 PM, said:

I'll try to help as best I can...

First, the last sentence of your post should be easy enough to check out, and I realize from reading your posts on another site that you had to get your drivers from a website other than Dell's. Take the driver package that you know works in Windows XP and extract it somewhere accessible within you PE environment. Then boot up your PE as you've been doing and go into Device Manager. Find your non-working device and try to manually install the drivers (Update Driver), pointing to your extracted files.

This was the first step I took when trying to get my own laptop's wireless drivers working, but I was able to get drivers straight from Dell's website since mine is compatible with WinXP. When you know you have some drivers that will work, we can go from there. :yes:

Thanks to both of you. :)
          Unfortunately, I can not do what you suggested in the Device Manager (i.e. update the driver) because I have already checked my Device Manager in PE and can confirm my network devices don't show up in there at all. :no:
          And you are correct. I was not able to get the drivers I needed for XP from Dell, because they only carry Vista drivers for my model (a Dell Studio 1535 laptop), and not any for XP. So I had to hunt them down, and get them from different sources on the Net before I got (mostly...) everything working in XP.
          I need to add I tried running the .exe setup program that I used to install the working wireless network drivers in XP from inside BartPE, but it just hung at the point where it was searching for the other drivers, and never got around to actually installing them. I believe that is because the .exe doesn't know where to look in BartPE to locate the drivers, only in Windows. So the use of the "minint" name in place of the Windows "Windows" (<--- did you like how I did that? :cool2:Windows, Windows...) folder is what confuses the installer, and so it just hangs.

This post has been edited by Question?: 07 April 2009 - 09:38 PM

#5 User is offline   Question? Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

@turbine blade: Thanks for the link, but it is not quite relative to my particular problem though, as you can tell partly from mine and havok333's exchange above...

See this thread to understand all of what I attempted so far, and where I'm at currently:

http://www.911cd.net...mp;#entry155457

This post has been edited by Question?: 07 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users