Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

newbie question - no XP CDs how to use software with no CDs

#1 User is offline   rkc9999 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

I'm trying to create a boot CD in order to restore an image of my hard drive which I will create using DriveImage XML. The documentation for the UBCD4Win indicates it needs the original windows CDs. Unfortunetly, the machine was preloaded from the factory and I never got any CDs. All I have is 6 recovery CDs that my Compaq computer generated and they restore the machine to SP1. I'm currently at SP3 and want a way to restore the machine to the current configuration.

Is there a way to create a bootable CD (or whatever) without having the original windows CD? I also have a single recovery CD in addition to the recover partition on the hard drive. Could this be used to restore the image instead of the 6 recovery CDs?

Your help would be appreciated!

This post has been edited by rkc9999: 11 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

A standard Windows installation CD is a requirement and there isn't any way around that....

Xp-Iso-Builder...

This is a utility that can help create an unattended install Windows CD along with many other features. It can slipstream a Service Pak, convert certain Recover Discs into a XP install CD, customize the install with third party visual styles or use a special theme, as well as other setup customizations. It also allows you to integrate drivers, updates and programs.

I've tested some of the basic features and they do work well... but I can't say how all of them will work. The website is in German but the program also supports English.

http://winfuture.de/xpisobuilder3_en
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   TheYoungOne Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:12 AM

THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO LEGALLY OWN A COPY OF WINDOW XP AND ONLY PLAN TO USE IT ON COMPUTERS THAT ARE LICENSED FOR IT:

<WAREZ POST REMOVED>

That's two more demerits.

#4 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hello again,
          you could make your own XP installation CD if you got I386 folder on hard disk
          read this and it works very well you can also go a step up
          and slip stream SP2 in the Cd then you will have an up to date Cd with windows wireless support.
          http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#wxp
          just follow instruction carefully it is much easier than it reads.

when you activate a dialog box will pop up asking you to enter the product key on the side of your Machine
          it is important that you should leave the name of machine and owner as default
          ie what they have entered in .sif file (setuptext.sif) for activation .
          and activation goes OK

also if you just want to copy or clone your hard disk buy an external Maxtor or Seagate hard disk
          and they got Seagate tools for windows free(or maxblast) it is basically Acronis 10 and will only work if you got at least 1
          Maxtor or seagate HDD in your system.
          http://www.seagate.c...nloads/seatools

during installation it allows you to make a bootable Cd for recovery.

Bart got instruction how to make bootable installation Windows CD when you got i386 folder only some were on your computer.

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#wxp

regards Ben

This post has been edited by ben_mott: 12 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

#5 User is offline   TheYoungOne Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:26 AM

View PostTheYoungOne, on Apr 11 2009, 11:12 PM, said:

THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO LEGALLY OWN A COPY OF WINDOW XP AND ONLY PLAN TO USE IT ON COMPUTERS THAT ARE LICENSED FOR IT:

<WAREZ POST REMOVED>

That's two more demerits.

Warez? Demerits? I DID NOT post any "copyright-infringed" material!
            And wtf is with those "demerits"? Am I being scrutinized because I am quoting myself and pointing people in the right direction?

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users