• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Yet another beginner Making first bootable CD

#1 User is offline   gene Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

Some things that seemed to go right:

I copied my Gateway OEM disc to the hard drive.
    Copied SP1 and SP2 to different folders.
    Finally found the slipstream procedure.
    Eventually learned that this merges the SP files directly into the folder with the OEM files. Too obvious.
    Did the plugin thing. Tried to avoid doing mischief.
    Did the build, creating ISO image.

Build was successful with the following notes.
    Warning: That thing about OEM versions
    Error: Can't find folder: wxp
    Error: Can't find folder: wnt5

Copied the ISO file to a computer with a working CD burner. Good burn.

Bootup from CD:
    Proceeded to the screen with the first level choices.
    On the way to a Windows startup everything stopped with this message:
    stop: c0000221
    ntvdm.exe header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

As a possible solution, I copied what may be a good copy of ntvdm.exe from deep in my installed WINNT folder, and made it the lone entry in a new folder. Then I entered this folder into the custom option of the ...Builder program.

At this point, I await better advice.

Gene

#2 User is online   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:14 AM

That's most likely hardware.

Check the RAM.

Use good quality CD media, use a good writer, use a decent write speed.
      Try ImgBurn to burn the CD.

Use a good CD drive to boot.

#3 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
      • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:22 AM

Hi gene

It is unlikely that the original file is corupted but it is likely that the ISO was burnt at too higher speed or onto a poor quality CD-R or CD-RW
        which results in the file read from the CD being corrupted

Try Burning ISO again say at x 4 for CD-RW or x 16 for CD-R (using ImgBurn which is in project)

you can also try disable AV background scanning if you do not have a permanant internet connection

(Note you do not need to slip stream SP1 and then SP2)

regards
        Mike Barnes

#4 User is offline   chuckr_jcr Icon

• PipPipPip
          • Interests:Learning more computer skills...

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:35 AM

View Postcdob, on Apr 26 2009, 02:14 AM, said:

That's most likely hardware.

Check the RAM.

Just ran across this - don't no if it's any good: http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

IT sez he kin make an ISO --- Put iso into 'Multi-Boot' UBCD4W ???

If u go with CD, not floppy, do -NOT- rename the output ISO filename (like 'WinMemyDiag.ISO') ...

Else, you'll get your 'newname.iso' with 0 bytes, and a "Successful File Creation" popup.

Rename it after the creation ("windiag.iso", 300 KB)

(Swear I've read some good reports about this diag, somewhere...)

Mebbe can goin 3.51 ? :D

This post has been edited by chuckr_jcr: 26 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

"Inquiring minds would like to know..."

#5 User is offline   gene Icon

• Pip

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

The quick responses were correct.

I did a reburn on my Gateway computer burner that seemed to have disabled software, except that I now used the suggested ISO burner program at 4x.

This time the CD booted without errors.

Now to see what all I can do with it

Thanks
            Gene

#6 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:36 PM

View Postgene, on Apr 27 2009, 12:32 AM, said:

The quick responses were correct.

I did a reburn on my Gateway computer burner that seemed to have disabled software, except that I now used the suggested ISO burner program at 4x.

This time the CD booted without errors.

Now to see what all I can do with it

Thanks
              Gene

OH NO.... To me this response reads as "INSERT WARNING NOW, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE."

Be very careful pressing buttons on programs you do not fully understand. This is a complicated set of diagnostic tools designed to recover data. However, it can just as easily WIPE OUT DATA, if you press the wrong buttons. So please be careful what you play with.
              Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#7 User is offline   yetti Icon

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

Your UBCD4Win worked perfectly for me the very first time I used it. You rescued an infected problem child (hence ‘PC’) for me that I’d been working on for days with little luck. But I immediately see the need to create various customized builds. You state, simply, “include an image of (let’s say) MalwareBytes and then build the UBCD4Win iso file.". However what you did not say is how to CREATE that inner image of a Windows application. Okay - how ?

Please share those steps with me or indicate where such steps and information are to be found.

Very much in your debt for a fantastic product,

Yetti,
                another newbie

#8 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Skeptic
                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

View Postyetti, on May 4 2009, 10:41 PM, said:

Your UBCD4Win worked perfectly for me the very first time I used it. You rescued an infected problem child (hence ‘PC’) for me that I’d been working on for days with little luck. But I immediately see the need to create various customized builds. You state, simply, “include an image of (let’s say) MalwareBytes and then build the UBCD4Win iso file.". However what you did not say is how to CREATE that inner image of a Windows application. Okay - how ?

Please share those steps with me or indicate where such steps and information are to be found.

Yetti,
                  another newbie

For a new topic, start a new thread, don't go about hijacking others'

#9 User is offline   yetti Icon

• Pip

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

View Postbengt, on May 4 2009, 04:55 PM, said:

View Postyetti, on May 4 2009, 10:41 PM, said:

Yetti,
                    another newbie

Just asking for help, sir. Sorry I was in the wrong place.

But I know now don't I ? I'm all set straight for sure now. Well done, sir. Very well done indeed. I'm so straight now I can't walk around a corner.

So. The aim of this forum is to slap us newbies around rather than simply suggesting a proper link. This is what you do - sit there... read the stupid "another newbie begs for help" messages and then pull out that awful sarcastic "Get the hell outta here" crap each time? Yes indeed - a search on your name turns up much rude and sarcastic behaviour.

My goodness. Aren't you just the little alpha boy on the block... Mr. Attitude. Or is it Mr. Altitude. You're no doubt WAY up there on your little silk computer pillow.

#10 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Skeptic
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

View Postyetti, on May 5 2009, 04:34 PM, said:

But I know now don't I ? I'm all set straight for sure now. Well done, sir. Very well done indeed. I'm so straight now I can't walk around a corner.

So. The aim of this forum is to slap us newbies around rather than simply suggesting a proper link. This is what you do - sit there... read the stupid "another newbie begs for help" messages and then pull out that awful sarcastic "Get the hell outta here" crap each time? Yes indeed - a search on your name turns up much rude and sarcastic behaviour.

My goodness. Aren't you just the little alpha boy on the block... Mr. Attitude. Or is it Mr. Altitude. You're no doubt WAY up there on your little silk computer pillow.

You aren't related to TheYoungOne are you?

I was not being sarcastic at all, if I was, you would know, trust me. Don't go about reading emotions into statements.

It was said in a normal, helpful and friendly manner, and the reason for it being said at all is that your topic otherwise gets buried in a nonrelated topic, so when other people are searching for an answer to the topic on which you are posting they will not find it. Did you get that?

So to keep it simple, start a new thread and you will get a proper answer.

Do not start Trolling, we have some experiance dealing with that kind of behaviour.

Happy, happy, joy, joy.... :crazyhappy:OK

p.s. I'm am not an Alpha, only Beta, so I resent that...

This post has been edited by bengt: 05 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

#11 User is offline   yetti Icon

• Pip

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:05 AM

View Postbengt, on May 5 2009, 09:45 AM, said:

View Postyetti, on May 5 2009, 04:34 PM, said:

You aren't related to TheYoungOne are you?

I was not being sarcastic at all, if I was, you would know, trust me. Don't go about reading emotions into statements.

It was said in a normal, helpful and friendly manner, and the reason for it being said at all is that your topic otherwise gets buried in a nonrelated topic, so when other people are searching for an answer to the topic on which you are posting they will not find it. Did you get that?

So to keep it simple, start a new thread and you will get a proper answer.

Do not start Trolling, we have some experiance dealing with that kind of behaviour.

Happy, happy, joy, joy.... :crazyhappy:OK

p.s. I'm am not an Alpha, only Beta, so I resent that...

Pardon, oh gifted one. My mistake. I read ALL of the the topics and came back to THIS one...

'Have "general" questions about the project? Having problems creating the CD or burning the ISO image? Here is where you need to post.'

...and just thought - okay... no obvious way to get started here - can't FIND a "Start New Topic" button any where in the design of this interface......

So, what on earth to do? I'd hie myself unto your loftiness and ASK YOUR HELP.

And you've yet to simply offer an appropriate link or any information at ALL. I refer you to my original post asking for missing help leading to learning how to include my own much-wished-for apps in a UBCD4Win build.

Or - God here goes again - just a link or two. Ya got a LINK OR TWO there, Chief ? How 'bout it guys - anybody ELSE out there in a mood to feel sorry for a guy asking for the most basic help here ... on a board that says "HAVE GENERAL QUESTIONS... ask 'em HERE ?????"

C'mon dude. Lighten up. Give up some information - on my GENERAL QUESTION - instead of pounding your chest about how I'm in the wrong place for crying out loud. IF THIS AIN'T THE PLACE THEN WHERE IS THE PLACE.

Is that an appropriate GENERAL enough QUESTION for ya, Chief ?

#12 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Skeptic
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

you are so cute and cuddly, you wanna be our new pet?

www.ubcd4win.com is that a clue you can compute ??

and since you can't even locate the NEW TOPIC button, this project is probably not for you as I believe it's too advanced for you to handle

This post has been edited by bengt: 05 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

#13 User is offline   yetti Icon

• Pip

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:53 AM

View Postbengt, on May 5 2009, 10:10 AM, said:

you are so cute and cuddly, you wanna be our new pet?

www.ubcd4win.com is that a clue you can compute ??

and since you can't even locate the NEW TOPIC button, this project is probably not for you as I believe it's too advanced for you to handle

Yes. Thank you for noticing that back in my hideously offensive and inappropriately placed original post I referred to the fact that I'd successfully and with great joy and amazment downloaded "your" project and following all the steps successfully built a UBCD4Win boot disk - and rescued a system. And I was deeply complimentary to all concerned and would have added "beta testers and contributors" but didn't deem it necessarily appropriate at that time. Little did I know.

Then I asked for help learning how to modiify a build. And all hell broke loose. This, then, shall be your epitath. Your lofty position here in this community is in no way under attack. These folks know you. But I know that you are, in no way, in a position to offer anything LIKE help. You will ultimately have the last word. So have it. And it won't be help. It will, simply, be words. Meaningless keystrokes - or air. And, like all that came before, of absolutely no consequence.

I will return as do all after these stupid sessions... after a brief time... registered differently from a different TCP/IP as I travel all over North America - and will, with much ease, avoid you and any like you.

So have your "last word" now... which shall fall on deaf ears except for those who continue to be impressed by you and your ilk.

#14 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                              • Group: Admin

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

yetti... don't be an a$$... When you were first asked to start a new topic was for a reason... and you continuing to post in the other users topic area is still pushing it... stop it now, start your own topic for your questions.

As for your question about how to start a new topic... its obvious to those that actually look around a moment. You enter a forum area... its the big button to the right just over the topic list and below banner area... Trying to get the proper forum area may actually require thought, but if you do post it in the wrong area at least you won't be hijacking someone elses thread.

If you do happen to post in this topic again... and it isn't for helping the original poster of this thread for their situation/question etc... your post will simply be deleted.
                              Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#15 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:43 PM

@Yetti,
                                Click General Questions first then you will see a button on the right hand side called new topic
                                click that and then you see 2 text boxes
                                topic title and topic description
                                fill those in
                                then put your question in under in big text box

and your questin will appear at top of the forum
                                double click that
                                to read the topic
                                Regards Ben

Page 1 of 1
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users