UBCD4Win Forums: Serious hard drive problem (Volume appears to have unrecoverable problems) - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Serious hard drive problem (Volume appears to have unrecoverable problems)

#1 User is offline   laguy03 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:37 AM

Hi everyone,

The other day I was uploading some pictures from my digital camera to my laptop. All of a sudden, the computer just shut off. When I attempted to restart it, it would keep shutting off and restarting. I kept getting the screen when it asks you if you would like to start in “Safe Mode” or with the “Last Good Configuration” or “Normally.” I’ve had the same problem with another computer of mine, so I booted the system from my OS CD. I ran a CHKDSK and a message came up that said “The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.” When I looked it up online, I saw a lot of websites that said the hard drive was probably dying.

So I went to Best Buy and bought myself a Rocketfish Hard Drive Enclosure in the hopes that I could recover files to the desktop computer that I have (as I have done twice before). When I finally got it all set up, I couldn’t access the drive (E. I went to My Computer and then when I clicked on my E Drive I got the message “E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.” And when I try to right click on the drive, nothing happens. I even tried to search through the drive but I got the Incorrect function message again.

By the way, when I hooked the enclosure up to my desktop computer, and it was checking the corrupted drive, I got the message "File record segment XX is unreadable" about 27 times. I searched around the web and one thing I saw a lot was the recommendation to use something called Hiren's Boot CD. Do you know anything about that?

I’m really desperate now and I’m willing to do just about anything now to recover at least some of the files. I don’t care if I can never use the hard drive again but I just want to get the pictures that I had on the computer. Is there any way I can go about doing this?

So what I need to know is - is Ultimate Boot CD right for me?

#2 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

If you have the hard drive in an enclosure, you honestly do not need UBCD4Win.
      You really just need some tools to recover your data. I would recommend TestDisk. It comes with a program called PhotoRec that is pretty effective also. Do more searching on how to use it and then use it to hopefully recover your data. If TestDisk doesn't work for you, check out any of the other tools listed on the "list of tools" page on our UBCD4Win site:
      http://www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm
      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#3 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip
        • Group: Members

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

Hello,

Hiren is a so called black hat , and you will not get help about that here .

this XP floppy originally by Bart boots into xp if there is a boot problem .
        it is worth a try .
        http://www.pcclinic....o.uk/xpboot.exe

Ben

Page 1 of 1
        • You cannot start a new topic
        • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
        0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users