• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Needing help Please Hard drives not recognized running UBCD

#1 User is offline   John A Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:05 PM

Hello All,

Last night I miss typed the url for you tube.....i typed www.utube.com. My spybot s&d popped up and told me that an important registry entry was about to be changed. So, I chose deny change. Well it kept continuing over and over......there were 2 or 3 different files that spy bot would keep telling me the same thing about...that the registry was about to be changed, so i just kept denying changes. I noticed a check box in spy bot that said "remember changes" so when the alerts kept comming up, I put a check mark in the box thinking that would help. It did not, and finally I just closed spy bot. At this point I was worried of course.

After shuting the pc down, and upon restarting win xp would not start, and I was getting a message that said lsass.exe application error, the application failed to initialize properly (oxcoooooo5) click ok to terminate the application.

From here I tried booting into safe mode, but still got the same lsass error message. I tried the windows recovery console by booting to my win xp cd, but when it asks me what os I want to repair, I chose the one listed which was c:/windows and it asks for the administrator password. Well, I never set a password, so i just hit enter and of course it says invalid password. From here I read in my pc manual how to take off a jumper on the mother board and clear passwords. So I did that and went back into the bios, and entered a password. I tried recovery console again and entered my new password, and it still said invalid password.

At this point I went online on another pc to see if I could find any help. I read in another forum about trying UBCD4Win. So, i read up on it and followed the instructions and created the UBCD4Win disk. I used my win xp cd with sp2 to make it and all went well making the iso file, and burning the disk.

I booted the problem pc up with UBCD4Win and it comes up fine. The problem Im having is that my hard drives are not bieng recognized now.
    On the UBCD4Win desktop it shows pc specs in green, and it is showing my prosser, my ram, the B: drive, which is listed as B:\ (TEMP) FAT, and the X: (SYSTEM DRIVE), and thats it.
    I dont know the programs at all, but I saw spy bot on the task bar, so I ran a scan and it found 2 files that said should be removed, so I did so. I tried a few of the various disk related apps, but in every case nothing could be done, because it just does not see my 2 sata hard drives at all.
    When trying a normal boot, the hard drive light flashes, and I can hear it working, and it sounds normal, but when trying a normal boot after trying the windows recovery console, the pc just keeps going back to "RESTARTING SETUP". After a minute or so, it trys to reboot, and then the same thing over and over.

Im quite sure that both my hard drives are not bad.....for some reason they just are not bieng recognized. The pc is a dell xps p4 3.4 ghz with win xp pro.
    Thank you in advance for any help with this, and also thanks to all the folks that made UBCD4Win possible!

Thank you,
    John A

#2 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: BETA Tester
      • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:25 AM

Sorry to hear about your frustrations... First off, BIOS password and Admin password for Windows are to completely separate things. Neither influences the other at all. When you set a BIOS password you are either denying entry to the PC itself or you are preventing changes to the BIOS. The Administrator password allows access to the administrator account inside Windows. Setting either will not affect the other.

As for not seeing the Hard Drives... It could be that you have them setup in what is cal;led a RAID configuration. You would know this when you would go into My Computer and see only one disk C: and D or E would be a optical drive like a DVD Burner. So if all you see is C: hard drive and D: DVD/CD-ROM then your two SATA drives are RAID configured. I have not had much experience using this disk on RAID machines so I apologize I can't help you with that. Thinking logically though, you may not be able to as the common home setup for RAID on a high end system like your was/is is to set it up with a Stripe configuration. Striping is one configuration of RAID in which data is split in half and one half is written to one drive and the other half to the other. By using both drives at the same time like this you get a performance increase in theory up to twice as fast as a single drive would be of similar spec. I am pretty sure that you will require the host OS that configured the RAID setup to access the partitions properly.

If you have two hard drives listed in My Computer then I am at a loss why it can't see it other than the SATA controller driver is not included with this project. Did you use the mass storage driver with the BTS plugin? I have had lots of success using that on some off the wall systems in the past for fresh installs.

Let s know what you recall/find out! Good luck!!

P.S. Try not to confuse the two projects... UBCD is Ultimate Boot CD of which is a linux based live disk that specializes in loading many floppies and small disk images onto a single CD. UBCD4Win is this project based off of BartsPE and gives a GUI to a slimmed instance of Windows XP or 2003 depending on source of files.

This post has been edited by BvF7734: 28 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

\m/ (>.<) \m/

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
      BvS Wiki is a good place for information about the above mentioned game.
      It is free and browser based so will play anywhere on any machine!
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

#3 User is offline   John A Icon

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:31 AM

View PostBvF7734, on Apr 28 2009, 08:25 AM, said:

Sorry to hear about your frustrations... First off, BIOS password and Admin password for Windows are to completely separate things. Neither influences the other at all. When you set a BIOS password you are either denying entry to the PC itself or you are preventing changes to the BIOS. The Administrator password allows access to the administrator account inside Windows. Setting either will not affect the other.

As for not seeing the Hard Drives... It could be that you have them setup in what is cal;led a RAID configuration. You would know this when you would go into My Computer and see only one disk C: and D or E would be a optical drive like a DVD Burner. So if all you see is C: hard drive and D: DVD/CD-ROM then your two SATA drives are RAID configured. I have not had much experience using this disk on RAID machines so I apologize I can't help you with that. Thinking logically though, you may not be able to as the common home setup for RAID on a high end system like your was/is is to set it up with a Stripe configuration. Striping is one configuration of RAID in which data is split in half and one half is written to one drive and the other half to the other. By using both drives at the same time like this you get a performance increase in theory up to twice as fast as a single drive would be of similar spec. I am pretty sure that you will require the host OS that configured the RAID setup to access the partitions properly.

If you have two hard drives listed in My Computer then I am at a loss why it can't see it other than the SATA controller driver is not included with this project. Did you use the mass storage driver with the BTS plugin? I have had lots of success using that on some off the wall systems in the past for fresh installs.

Let s know what you recall/find out! Good luck!!

P.S. Try not to confuse the two projects... UBCD is Ultimate Boot CD of which is a linux based live disk that specializes in loading many floppies and small disk images onto a single CD. UBCD4Win is this project based off of BartsPE and gives a GUI to a slimmed instance of Windows XP or 2003 depending on source of files.

Hello again,
        Thank you BVF for trying to help me. The pc was never set up as a raid configuration. Just 2 hard drives, c, and d. Hard drive with os on it is a WD raptor and the d drive i believe is a seagate. The disc i created was the UBCD4Win. As far as going to my computer, I can only go there by booting with the UBCD4Win disk, as the computer wont boot when trying a normal boot....it just keeps reverting back to "RESTARTING SETUP". Also, when turning on the pc and hitting f12 and then selecting the hard drive diagnostics, both hard drives are checked and both of them pass.
        As far as using the mass storage driver with BTS plugin goes, well I just created the disk and booted to it. Im sorry I have never seen most of these utilitys ever before except for a couple of them. So to be honest, I dont know how to use the BTS Plugin. Well thanks again for trying to help, and whatever you do, dont ever type www.utube.com by mistake lol.

#4 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

UBCD4Win, arguably,has the most complete set of drivers included with it to help in this type of situation. They were developed by the Driverpacks.net development team which represents the most complete set of drivers available anywhere... but still it is limited to what has already been or can be included so it can't have every single driver since new ones are developed all of the time.

So in situations like this the user needs to add the proper drivers for their system and disable the included drivers so no conflicts will mess you up and overwrite the drivers you supply. We also strongly recommend that the user report the issue in the Driverpacks.net forum so that other users will not have to worry about it later as they develop new driverpacks.

First you must locate the proper drivers for your system or its motherboard. Go to the manufacturers or motherboard's website and download the XP ( or Win2k3 drivers if that is the source files you are building from ) Floppy/F6 drivers. These are the same drivers that a user would use when installing XP ( or Win2k3 ) so should be easy to locate.

Next you need to create a folder for them. In the [UBCD4Win]\drivers folder create a folder named SCSIAdapter and in that folder another for your drivers called MyDriver... the path should be [UBCD4Win]\drivers\SCSIAdapter\MyDriver. Then extract the drivers you downloaded into that folder.

Next in the UBCD4WinBuilder go into the Plugins area and disable the "# DriverPacks.net - MassStorage" plugin so you don't get a conflict with these drivers. Rebuild the project and create a new disk and test.

( PS ... Dell probably distribute this driver in an EXE self extracting format... you must extract the drivers from that distribution package in order to use them in the project OR if you were going to use them with your Recovery Console when booting from the Windows CD )
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#5 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
          • PipPipPipPipPip
            • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for stepping in rdsok! I can remember and help out on alot of things but sometimes we need to tag team it.

@john a

I mentioned about RAID as most systems from Dell and other paces that have two SATA drives are configured with RAID and most people are unaware or unfamiliar. As I didn't know your background, i went with lowest common denominator. As rdsok mentioned, sounds like the drivers that are included are either conflicted or the wrong ones. Follow his directions and you should be good to go.
            \m/ (>.<) \m/

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

#6 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

Hello again,

seagate owns Maxtor now so you got 1 seagate HDD
              seagate tools for windows
              http://www.seagate.c...nloads/seatools

Maxblast5 for windows
              http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD
              they are basically the same ie Acronise True Image 10

down load and install to winows then it gives you option to
              make a bootable Cd
              do that
              boot with that CD and see if you can see your HDD s
              if you do 1st make an image of complete system first.
              before messing around to clear the Virus.

Ben
              PS some one PMed me and asked if Mott was my real name ?? No it is not.
              Regards Ben

This post has been edited by ben_mott: 28 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

#7 User is offline   muggles Icon

• PipPip
                • Group: Donators

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:04 PM

Just curious, what version of UBCD4Win are you using?

#8 User is offline   John A Icon

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:41 AM

View PostBvF7734, on Apr 28 2009, 02:07 PM, said:

Thanks for stepping in rdsok! I can remember and help out on alot of things but sometimes we need to tag team it.

@john a

I mentioned about RAID as most systems from Dell and other paces that have two SATA drives are configured with RAID and most people are unaware or unfamiliar. As I didn't know your background, i went with lowest common denominator. As rdsok mentioned, sounds like the drivers that are included are either conflicted or the wrong ones. Follow his directions and you should be good to go.

Hello again,
                  First off to Muggles's question, im using version 3.50 of UBCD4Win. To Ben Mott, thanks for the seagate link and infos. To BVF7734, thanks again!

To Rdsok: I went to Dell's wesite and used my service tag # to pull up all the drivers/downloads specific to my pc. The results are showing 57 files total in 11 catagorys. applications (4), audio (1), bios (1),cd/dvd (20), chipset (1), communication (7), diagnostics (3), network (4), sata drives (2), system utilityies (2), and video (12).
                  For the 2 files listed under sata drives, one is listed as an Intel-application - application accelerator raid editon, and the other as a Intel-driver - application accelerator raid edition.
                  Do I need both of the sata related files, and or any of the other files? My Dell service tag # is 1B1TY51 should you be willing to have a look at the files that are listed.
                  Also, as you advised, I will report the issue in the Driverpacks.net forum. I am sorry that I am not more tech savy with this type of thing, but this is the first time I have ever attempted somthing of this nature, and it seems rather intimidating to me. Thanks, and many thanks again for everything!!

Thank you,
                  John A

#9 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
                  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:23 AM

Looking at the available downloads, I would say that the driver one is the one you want. Looking at the information of how to install it, it is the floppy method. When you first pop in the WinXP CD for a fresh build, it asks for any additional drivers to hit like F6. The SATA driver download is the answer to the F6 driver prompt so is more than likely what is needed for here. Download it and follow the steps rdsok mentioned to add it. I would also mention the specifics like chipset model and the RAID controller model you have to the BTS forum so they can add it into heir next releases. Hope this helps and good luck!
                    \m/ (>.<) \m/

#10 User is offline   John A Icon

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

View PostBvF7734, on Apr 29 2009, 08:23 AM, said:

Looking at the available downloads, I would say that the driver one is the one you want. Looking at the information of how to install it, it is the floppy method. When you first pop in the WinXP CD for a fresh build, it asks for any additional drivers to hit like F6. The SATA driver download is the answer to the F6 driver prompt so is more than likely what is needed for here. Download it and follow the steps rdsok mentioned to add it. I would also mention the specifics like chipset model and the RAID controller model you have to the BTS forum so they can add it into heir next releases. Hope this helps and good luck!

Hello again,

I have my pc back and running again. A friend of mine installed a parellel win xp, and lucky for me was able to back up all my files afterwards, and then wipe both installs and do a fresh install for win xp. I did post a message to driverpacks.net to let them know what I encountered. Even though I did not resolve my problems using UBCD4Win, I have no doubts that it would have, should I had worked on your suggestions a bit further.
                      I am more than impressed with UBCD4Win and can't thank all of those behind it enough for trying to help people keep their pc's up and running!
                      To ALL of you that took the time to post help for me THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
                      I am sorry I was not able to contribute anything to help others in the forum, but I really am just not very tech savy.
                      One warning that I do know from experience however is to steer clear of the url: www.utube.com.
                      Once again sincere thanks to ALL of you that posted on my behalf!

Best Regards,
                      John A

Page 1 of 1
                      • You cannot start a new topic
                      • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                      0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users