Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Move XP Pro Drive to new PC??

#1 User is offline   hal777 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

Is it possible to move the C: XP Pro drive from one PC to a new one?

The drive is SATA

If so what programs in UBCD4Win would I use?

Help would be appreciated

TIA

#2 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

I'm guessing that you had a hardware failure or are upgrading?? If so, it is possible to move that hard drive to another system and still use that OS that is installed on it.
      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#3 User is offline   Gedrean Icon

• Advanced Member
      • PipPipPipPip
        • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

I'm not sure if FixHDC will be required. What I AM sure of is that changing the hardware so vastly WILL cause XP to think it is unregistered again/unactivated, you'll have to reactivate, probably by calling them.

Unless your XP is a VLK.

Good luck.
        Here since February 2007, and just now got 7 demerits. I love me some Troll thread.

#4 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
        • PipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: BETA Tester
          • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

Another issue that may pop up even prior to the activation is if the hardware is different enough then it will not even start up but get a BSoD. That is another thing to think of as well. If the MB and Proc are both similar then in theory it should work. Going from one Proc design to another will have mixed results. Best case would be to back up your data then move the drive and install fresh. But that is the old school desktop tech speaking in me. I never had much luck moving an install from one system to another unless they were the same or effectively the same.... Example... going from a Dell GX240 to a 260 is possible. Going from a GX260 to a 270 won't work. 270 to a 280 or even a 620 generally would work but be glitchy. Going from a 620 to a 745 won't work.
          \m/ (>.<) \m/

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
          BvS Wiki is a good place for information about the above mentioned game.
          It is free and browser based so will play anywhere on any machine!
          You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

#5 User is offline   hal777 Icon

• Pip
            • Group: Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

Today, 03:07 PM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Apr 30 2009, 03:07 PM, said:

I'm guessing that you had a hardware failure or are upgrading?? If so, it is possible to move that hard drive to another system and still use that OS that is installed on it.

No, there is no problem, I am going from a AMD systenm to Intel

View PostGedrean, on Apr 30 2009, 03:10 PM, said:

I'm not sure if FixHDC will be required. What I AM sure of is that changing the hardware so vastly WILL cause XP to think it is unregistered again/unactivated, you'll have to reactivate, probably by calling them.

Unless your XP is a VLK.

Good luck.

What is "XP is a VLK." ?

I have changed systems before and there was no problem reactivating

View PostBvF7734, on Apr 30 2009, 04:16 PM, said:

Another issue that may pop up even prior to the activation is if the hardware is different enough then it will not even start up but get a BSoD. That is another thing to think of as well. If the MB and Proc are both similar then in theory it should work. Going from one Proc design to another will have mixed results. Best case would be to back up your data then move the drive and install fresh. <snip>

XP does start to install in the new PC but hangs when it starts "Examining" the HD

I have a lot of programs, that I would not like to have to reinstall from scratch.

I do have a Acronis image of the drive, but I am not sure if it will work in a new PC

Thanks all for your help

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users