Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Low on Virtual Memory

#1 User is offline   thor242 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Anyone know why this error pops up with systems with 1GB ram (1024MB)?
    I've seen it on different systems that have !GB ram and verified on a virtual pc, changing the ram size to different values.
    It doesn't seem to effect anything, but it's annoying anyway....

#2 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:28 PM

Have you made changes to the plugins?

When booted, check the services control panel and see if the eventlog is running.

Ram and virtual memory are two different things, that warning is normally suppressed by the eventlog service.

From a command prompt, type "NET START EVENTLOG" without the quotes to see if the service is already running.
      Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#3 User is offline   dirkgently42 Icon

• Ultra Member
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:17 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop that got that message.
        Seems to be related to onboard Intel 845G graphics.

Adjust bios video setting (legacy?) from 1MB to 8MB.
        "Low virtual memory" message should stop with bios graphics set at 8MB.
        "Ignorance is king. Many would not profit by his abdication. Many enrich themselves by means of his dark monarchy. They are his Court, and in his name they defraud and govern, enrich themselves and perpetuate their power." ; A Canticle for Leibowitz; Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Woo-hoo! M-O-O-N, that spells "Nebraska"! The Stand

Randy: "Hey Earl, someone just told me that Wednesday was hump day, but I don't see any ladies so you watch my back and I'll watch yours." My Name is Earl

GEORGE: Yeah! Look at me! I was free and clear! I was living the dream! I was stripped to the waist, eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery!
        JERRY: Before we go any further, I'd just like to point out how disturbing it is that you equate eating a block of cheese with some sort of bachelor paradise. Seinfeld

Klaatu barada nikto
        "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
        Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

#4 User is offline   thor242 Icon

• Pip

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:29 AM

View Postdirkgently42, on May 5 2009, 12:17 AM, said:

hilander999 :

Yes I've made changes but verified the error with a clean install and no changes. (Geoshell and explorer shell both error.)

dirkgently42 :

Okay I'll pay attention if it happens with anything other than Intel video.
          I didn't think it happened with all systems I've tested with 1GB ram, but then the Microsoft Virtual PC gives the error and the video isn't Intel.

#5 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:02 AM

VMWare does not produce that error, which is what I use.
            Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#6 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Ultra Member
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:42 AM

View Postthor242, on May 5 2009, 07:29 AM, said:

View Postdirkgently42, on May 5 2009, 12:17 AM, said:

hilander999 :

Yes I've made changes but verified the error with a clean install and no changes. (Geoshell and explorer shell both error.)

dirkgently42 :

Okay I'll pay attention if it happens with anything other than Intel video.
              I didn't think it happened with all systems I've tested with 1GB ram, but then the Microsoft Virtual PC gives the error and the video isn't Intel.

Had the same eroor on VirtualBox but after increasing base memory the error disappeared

#7 User is offline   chuckr_jcr Icon

• PipPipPip
                • Interests:Learning more computer skills...

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:39 AM

View Postthor242, on May 4 2009, 07:46 PM, said:

I've seen it on different systems that have !GB ram and verified on a virtual pc, changing the ram size to different values.

Virtual memory is hard disk space.

The 'pagefile.sys' shown in the Dialog boxes refers to your C:\pagefile.sys paging file,
                which is a 'system', 'hidden', and all that stuff, kind of file.

Windows is a 'time-sharing' OS which means all tasks, processes, threads, and all those guys get a
                'piece of the pie', meaning 'time' for execution. Then it's 'paused' and the next guy gets
                the next 'time-slice' (about 20 milliseconds per 'slice').

Usually all this is well and good, UNTIL too many 'guys' want to execute. No matter how much PHYSICAL memory
                you have, if you open lotsa windows and do lotsa stuff, there just ain't enough memory to hold all the guys.
                Windows processes are also a lot of the guys and they get priority...

When that happens, Win has to do something temporarily to fix his 'situation', so he takes one of the guys
                and 'swaps' him out to the hard disk into "Virtual memory". And keeps doing this until one or more of the
                guys finishes his work/job/program/etc and -finishes-. Then there's one less guy, until eventually they can all
                fit in memory again.

Long story short:

Run sysdm.cpl
                Click 'Advanced' tab at top.

Then, Performance's 'Settings' button. (Shud now be 'Performance Options" page)

Click 'Advanced' tab at top of this page
                See "Virtual memory" there, at the bottom ?
                You can -Change- it, if you want.

(Saw somebody, some forum somewhere, bitching about his swap file being on C:...) :D

Gotta go....
                "Inquiring minds would like to know..."

#8 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: Admin

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:34 AM

Actually I have seen this on a few computers at work. It appears to happen right before or right after PreShell runs. The error message stays until you close it, so if you walk away from the computer it can appear that it came up after GeoShell or Explorer executes.

It has happened on a few computers and I can't figure out the common denominator between them. I think I've seen it on systems with 2GB's of memory also. It is quite random though so I do not know what is causing it. It doesn't appear to affect anything either, everything still runs and it doesn't seem slow. So I don't think it's a big problem right now, just a slight annoyance. I'll start compiling a list of systems and specs as I continue to see it so we can figure out what is causing it.
                  "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

#9 User is offline   thor242 Icon

• Pip

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

bengt : Yah I verified getting this error in VirtualBox with 1GB memory.

SteelTrepid : Thanks for posting. Yes, everything seems to work fine. I was just wondering what causes the error to pop up...

chuckr_jcr : Um, yah I know all about virtual memory but your post doesn't really apply to the UBCD4Win environment. So I didn't specify in my original post, but this is a UBCD4Win forum....

#10 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • Group: Admin

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

Don't confuse a notice such as this with an error... this is not an error it is simply Windows telling you of a possible limitation. As sort of already mentioned... this is one that can be ignored in most cases.

Also keep in mind that virtual machines are not a good way to diagnose anything... they are a similated enviroment and are not the same as real hardware. A very good example of a non-issue that appears in a VM would be the issue with QEMU where the taskbar isn't shown... this doesn't normally happen on real systems and is just a fluke specific to this VM.

What chuckr_jcr mentioned DOES apply... a PE enviroment such as UBCD4Win is a subset of Windows so what is true for Windows will also apply in a PE build if that feature is included in the PE build. In addition, while you may not have needed or perhaps wanted the generic info he provided... do not critize it when others provide additional info even if you didn't need it... after all they are also trying to help in some small way even if its just providing additional information.
                      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#11 User is offline   guru777 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:51 PM

View Postthor242, on 04 May 2009 - 10:46 PM, said:

I get the same exact error on my VMware Virtual PC with 1 GB of memory. I think it is because there is no page file. I checked and UBCD4win doesn't use a page file.

Page 1 of 1
                        • You cannot start a new topic
                        • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                        0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users