• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

!Legal Torrent! We need one!

#1 User is offline   TedM Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

'Ello,
    I've used UBCD4Win long enough now. When I heard of the new update, 3.50, I almost blew up from the excitement burst I had. Explorer as the shell? Awesome!

Now, I've got a problem. As of, say, two weeks, my internet has been acting up. Every half an hour or so it looses connection to my ISP and any downloads I was downloading fail. Restart, again, repeat, etc.

So my proposal: Why not have a torrent?

Legal torrents are fine! I'm not sure about the P2P rules in America but I'm pretty sure seeding this boot disc wouldn't be a crime.

At the moment I'm downloading an already .ISO'd release off a not-so-legal site.

This way it can fail without restarting, and I can run a hash check when it's done and the client will only take what it needs.

We need this, why isn't it on the official download page? It should be! My two cents - Ted

Have a nice day.

#2 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

At the moment I'm downloading an already .ISO'd release off a not-so-legal site.

Sorry to hear about your internet problems but that's no reason to pirate our hard work. Buy the official CD if you can't download it legally. Are you by chance an ungratefull leach that doesn't care about the countless hours we've spent making this release possible for you?
      If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#3 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
      • PipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: BETA Tester
        • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

While torrents are great and highly secure, it has been brought up in the past but has been turned down. This was due to the compexity of running a tracker and the donated server space and such that we have.

As for the ISO, no dice. It contains MS files that are not distributable hence the builder we use.

Nutshell... Quit the ISO... Hope your ISP stops flaking out... Torrents here will never happen. Good luck!!
        \m/ (>.<) \m/

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
        BvS Wiki is a good place for information about the above mentioned game.
        It is free and browser based so will play anywhere on any machine!
        You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

#4 User is offline   TedM Icon

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

View Postpcuser, on May 12 2009, 09:46 PM, said:

Sorry to hear about your internet problems but that's no reason to pirate our hard work. Buy the official CD if you can't download it legally. Are you by chance an ungratefull leach that doesn't care about the countless hours we've spent making this release possible for you?

No, I am not an ungrateful leech.
          The reason why I put this post here was to try to discourage that. See I need to use the boot disc tomorrow and I decided to update while I'm at it.
          Frankly I don't see how this means I don't care. I couldn't download it and use my OEM Windows CD because of my internet! I've already paid for Windows XP and frankly I'm Canadian and they are light on torrents. *Angry confused face without an emotion so that people still reply, because I have under 35 posts and according to "his" blog, we should stop posting on them*

I don't have any money to buy that CD, and I would if I could. Sorry for ranting but I found your comment a tad rude.

@BvF7734, thanks for the info. Now see I don't think that you'd need to run a tracker or waste server space. Large corporations release TV shows over torrents, like "Canada's Next Great Prime Minister" http://rae.tnir.org/...ter-via-torrent

Why not get the file hosted on LegalTorrents.com ?

After the file has been seeded two or three times, it will support itself and no server space will be wasted.

I see were you guys are coming from but I'm just saying it's not that difficult...

And sorry pcuser for insulting you and your feeling toward the software.

EDIT:
          Sheesh, my sentences don't make sense tonight, sorry if they don't make sense, I'm tired.

Another edit, why not.
          I don't have much money right now, and frankly I don't feel like spending money on something that's freeware in the first place.

I quit my download and I'm trying for the fourth time now to download 3.50 - I downloaded it at a local hotspot but I failed the hash check, just so you know I didn't give up right away and go to the torrent.

This post has been edited by TedM: 12 May 2009 - 10:58 PM

#5 User is offline   peter_r40 Icon

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:53 PM

View PostTedM, on May 13 2009, 11:18 AM, said:

'Ello,
            I've used UBCD4Win long enough now. When I heard of the new update, 3.50, I almost blew up from the excitement burst I had. Explorer as the shell? Awesome!

Now, I've got a problem. As of, say, two weeks, my internet has been acting up. Every half an hour or so it looses connection to my ISP and any downloads I was downloading fail. Restart, again, repeat, etc.

So my proposal: Why not have a torrent?

Legal torrents are fine! I'm not sure about the P2P rules in America but I'm pretty sure seeding this boot disc wouldn't be a crime.

This way it can fail without restarting, and I can run a hash check when it's done and the client will only take what it needs.

We need this, why isn't it on the official download page? It should be! My two cents - Ted

Have a nice day.

If the problem is conection issues, the best thing to do is fix them or you could use a download manager.

#6 User is offline   TedM Icon

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

The connection issues, at the moment, won't be fixed until August.

I tried a couple download managers, they downloaded the file fully but I failed at the hash check... (DownThemAll! Proved the most effective.)

See this is where torrents come in handy, if I downloaded it with a BitTorrent client and the hash check failed, well I could just right-click the file in my BitTorrent client and say "Check Hash" and it would fix it! I would save lots of bandwidth compared to just re-downloading it 5 times like I have.

This post has been edited by TedM: 12 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

#7 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
              • PipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: BETA Tester
                • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:39 AM

Ok... About the torrents. Yes, we could host it else where. But. There is an inherent issue that can not be overcome. If it is hosted on another site like freetorrents.com then we have no control over the file when a new one is released. The only solution to this controlled versioning is to bring the tracker to an inhouse controlled fashion like the legal ROM site pleasuredome.org.uk. They have their own private tracker for all the legal roms they offer. We don't have anything as intense as they do and so no justification for running a tracker.

The only solution we have to effectively control versioning to the greatest extent that we can is to have third party peoples host it on their servers. These people have either donated the bandwidth or have special deals with Ben or the project in order to host the files. There is no way around this at all. I have suggested multiple ways of hosting the files from torrents to freenet to many other cloud based file serving but nothing will completely work the way that we need it to work. Thank you for your suggestion but this has been hashed out several years ago in private multiple times and some even publicly.

YOUR only solutions come down to this...

1) Get your internet connection fixed sooner.

2) Try another host and use flashget or DTA or some other restartable download manager and try another one of the sites. I sometimes have issues with one or another and continuing downloads but a few have no problem at all. Trial an error is how you get it to work.

I wish you luck in your endeavour.

I almost forgot... About downloading a fully created iso of the project. you ARE in fact stealing our hard work not to mention downloading MS files illegally. Doesn't matter if you are in the US, Canada, my moms basement, anywhere the Internet reaches... Doesn't F'ing matter. Downloading a full created ISO of the project is illegal per the terms of the MS agreement. You may own a license and have permission to use your disk. You don't own anything that MS has given you. The reason why we don't hand out a fully created disk is due to the MS files that are needed. If we could distribute those files without any worry from MS, do you honestly think we would provide a build utility to make the disk? We might... Btu our bread and butter at that point would be the ISO and not the builder.

So yes you may have taken offense to what was said by pcuser, but you also have to see it from where we stand... We provide a builder that you use to create the ISO. If you download a pre made ISO of the project, god only knows what is in that disk from viruses to warez to any number of things that are out of our control. But who gets the blame for it in the end when it breaks a machine? US. WE get the blame for the issues that get created. So yes we tyake offense when someone does exactly what you are doing.
                \m/ (>.<) \m/

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
                BvS Wiki is a good place for information about the above mentioned game.
                It is free and browser based so will play anywhere on any machine!
                You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

#8 User is offline   TedM Icon

• Pip

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

Hmm, I appreciate the long description but...
                  Could you specify what would be wrong? Like... "A new release" ?

I mean, on most free torrent sites, you can easily delete the torrent if you are the uploader. I don't see a huge problem here...

If I ever get the builder, would it be legal for me to distribute it via torrent? I think it would, as we are encouraged to share the software with friends.

And as for the "you [UBCD4Win] get blamed for it," honestly if something goes wrong it's their own fault. That's like running a registry editor, deleting some key entries and blaming Microsoft for the registry.

And as for the .ISO being full of BS, do you think I downloaded it off some crummy site like TPB? No...

Anyways, sorry for bothering you guys.

I see you kept true to the "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you." ;)

This post has been edited by TedM: 13 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

#9 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Admin

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:25 PM

This issue has already been discussed in the "backroom" in the recent past.... At this time the decision is that we are not going to distribute UBCD4Win using torrents... nothing more needs said.

PS... You can not distribute the project without permission either...

The ISO issue doesn't matter where the heck you get it from... that is warez no matter where it is obtained.
                    Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#10 User is offline   TedM Icon

• Pip

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

View Postrdsok, on May 13 2009, 07:25 PM, said:

The ISO issue doesn't matter where the heck you get it from... that is warez no matter where it is obtained.

Alright thanks for answering my question.

And he said that there would be viruses, but I was confident there weren't.

Anyways, sorry about all this.

I keep trying to download the thing, it takes a while for every failure.

And I managed to get the torrent deleted for you guys ;)

#11 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • Group: Admin

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:52 PM

No need to appologize for asking....
                        Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#12 User is offline   TedM Icon

• Pip

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

Finally the download finished, and it worked. My internet held up for the required 45 minutes.

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users