• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

us san disk portable applications security

#1 User is offline   sbankston Icon

• PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:knitting, spinning,squash, med student

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:28 PM

hello. i am still waiting on a windows xp disk to come in the mail from a friend to build my ubcd4 windows disk.
    in the meantime i had the worst thing happen last night that's not an XP crash; MY FLASH DRIVE crashed. 1 GB gone. bummed..so i bought a u3 sandisk..allows portable applications to go to computer.
    some of these portable apps are for security..they offer trials and fees for whole back up software packages for scan disks and hard drives. how do these differ from ubcd4windows; besides $$? i have huge student loans to pay back so i dont want to spend money..should i be looking at buying one of these portable apps instead of making a ubcd4 windows back up? pros/cons please...
    slb

#2 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: BETA Tester
      • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:21 AM

First off, everything in the UBCD4Win in regards to the home user is 100% free. No hidden charges no nothing. Everything is absolutely free with no costs and no maintenance fees whatsoever. The apps that you get with U3 are there similarly to when you buy a new computer. They are all saying "here I am I can show how secure you are but after 30 or 90 days you have to buy me!" As a rule of thumb that I follow, I can get everything they offer for free or even better for free. I personally do not buy hardly any applications as I am a supporter of Free Open Source Software or FOSS for short. Many things can be used that are FOSS or just free.

Getting back on track... The differences are this... The CD can be used from your live environment or your native OS. Either way... You can pop the disk like a normal disk in your machine and run many of the apps from your native OS or you can boot to it and completely avoid the installed OS. U3 doesn't allow that. When I got my U3 I saw how quaint those apps were and promptly removed the entire functionality from my drive. For my portable apps, I use portableapps.com. Those apps are all 100% FOSS or GPL compliant.

Yuor choice if you wish to by the apps on your U3... I wouldn't but that is just me. The UBCD4Win is 100% free. Portableapps.com is 100% free as well. I hope this helps!!
      \m/ (>.<) \m/

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
      BvS Wiki is a good place for information about the above mentioned game.
      It is free and browser based so will play anywhere on any machine!
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

#3 User is offline   sbankston Icon

• PipPip

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

View PostBvF7734, on May 15 2009, 07:21 AM, said:

First off, everything in the UBCD4Win in regards to the home user is 100% free. No hidden charges no nothing. Everything is absolutely free with no costs and no maintenance fees whatsoever. The apps that you get with U3 are there similarly to when you buy a new computer. They are all saying "here I am I can show how secure you are but after 30 or 90 days you have to buy me!" As a rule of thumb that I follow, I can get everything they offer for free or even better for free. I personally do not buy hardly any applications as I am a supporter of Free Open Source Software or FOSS for short. Many things can be used that are FOSS or just free.

I am also a proponenet of free open source and try to stick to thsi when i can; thats why i asked. thanks for your opinion.

Getting back on track... The differences are this... The CD can be used from your live environment or your native OS.

please help me understand the difference between live environment and native OS; i dont understand the difference. native os is what i have in my computer...windows..XP? live environment is what?

Either way... You can pop the disk like a normal disk in your machine and run many of the apps from your native OS or you can boot to it and completely avoid the installed OS.

how do you do this?

U3 doesn't allow that. When I got my U3 I saw how quaint those apps were and promptly removed the entire functionality from my drive. For my portable apps, I use portableapps.com. Those apps are all 100% FOSS or GPL compliant.

i just bought a u3 enabled scan disk yesterday. how do i disable it? now i know to go to portable apps.com. does portable apps.com NEED a u3 enabled flash drive or can i use a non u3 enabled flash drive? can i get rid of the u3 enabled stuff on my flash? and have extra space. teach a man to fish..and he'll learn a lifetime..
        slb

#4 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
        • PipPipPipPipPip
          • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

Not a prob. A live environment is a OS that has been booted from a CD/DVD or a USB drive of some sorts. A native OS is the OS that is installed on your machine. This project can build a CD/DVD that can allow you to boot into a slimmed down XP with apps and utils that allow you to rescue a downed system. Or while booted into your native installed OS, you can pop the disk in and run several apps from the disk directly.

As for the U3 stuff... You can leave it or on the sandisk site there is a utility that allows you to format the drive and remove the U3 functionality. I could find the link but since you want to learn and do it on your own, I only suggest doing a search on the sandisk site for U3 removal. There will be a FAQ that will link you to the tool. Beware that it WILL format your drive. Make a backup first before you run the utility.

I hope you enjoy PA.com!! It is very full of nothing but FOSS and GPL compliant apps.

Good luck and have a nice day!
          \m/ (>.<) \m/

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

#5 User is offline   sbankston Icon

• PipPip

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

View PostBvF7734, on May 15 2009, 07:57 PM, said:

Not a prob. A live environment is a OS that has been booted from a CD/DVD or a USB drive of some sorts. A native OS is the OS that is installed on your machine. This project can build a CD/DVD that can allow you to boot into a slimmed down XP with apps and utils ???? is this another computer if mine fails? that allow you to rescue a downed system. if my computer gets downed..i take this cd somewhere else? Or while booted into your native installed OS, you can pop the disk in and run several apps from the disk directly.

As for the U3 stuff... You can leave it or on the sandisk site there is a utility that allows you to format the drive and remove the U3 functionality. where is this? you think i should not use what u3 has to offer for FREE? now i knwo not to buy any more U3 sandisks...those aer so much more $$ than the others.
            i bet the u3 functionality is taking up 1.8Gb of space. i bought a 16GB disk but when i loaded it it said..14.2GB available. so will i get the extra 1.8GB back if i disable it. and what do you mean by reformatting it? is that good or bad?
            I could find the link but since you want to learn and do it on your own, I only suggest doing a search on the sandisk site for U3 removal. There will be a FAQ that will link you to the tool. Beware that it WILL format your drive. Make a backup first before you run the utility.

I hope you enjoy PA.com!! It is very full of nothing but FOSS and GPL compliant apps. i do liek poratbel apps..seems to have smae stuff as u3 free stuff. hmmmm
            Good luck and have a nice day!

slb

#6 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
            • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

For more details of the project, I will have to direct you to the FAQs... They should be able to more adequately answer the differences and such.

You can use U3 or you can remove it. Either way it is your choice. I personally removed it from mine. All it is is software anyways and if I personally find no use in it then I have no need to keep it. As for the manufacturer and the hardware, I find nothing wrong with them. They are a good brand and are fairly fast. Size discrepancies though would be due to the three different ways in which GB's and TB's are calculated. Mathematically, HD's are powers of 2 in size. In essence, one bit then 8 bits make a byte. These are the two smallest measures in storage. From there you have 1024 bytes for a Kilobyte. For a megabyte it would be a 1024 Kilobytes or 1,048,576B. A GB would be 1024 MB's or 1,073,741,824B and a TB would be 1024GB's or 1,099,511,627,776B etc. That is the power of 2 mathematical expression for binary storage. However drive manufacturers have two other ways of expressing size... The most well known is 1,000KB or 1,000MB's or 1,000GB's etc. This would result in a 80GB drive showing only about 72GB usable. The difference is due to the math used. Manufacturer said that their drive is 80Billion Bytes or 80,000,000,000Bytes in size. Yet only like 72GB's are usable as this is the largest power of 2 without exceeding 80Billion Bytes. Another one that is technically correct but still wrong is they will say 1024MB's is a GB. While this looks right, what they say is 1,024,000,000B is a GB. Ref my math above for a true binary GB...

This more than likely will explain the diff in size you refer to. U3 takes maybe a few hundred MB's at most. Not 1.8GB... It may but who knows...
              \m/ (>.<) \m/

Page 1 of 1
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users