Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

XP reboots continuously

#1 User is offline   Karen Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

My XP PC reboots continuously. I used a friend's laptop to burn a UBCD4Win CD in the hope of booting with it. The boot sequence is set to CD, then floppy, then hard drive. With the original WinXP install disk in the CD drive, I can run the repair console. I did use the bootcfg /rebuild and fixboot commands but that did not fix the problem. It did give me a second identifier for my Windows install. I was hoping to use UBCD to boot into Windows, but when the machine starts, it asks which Windows install I want to use (including the newly created name) and then whether I want to start normally or in safe mode and no matter which option I choose, it continues to reboot in an endless loop.
    I hope someone can help.
    Thanks

#2 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

Hi Karen

These problems can be faulty Hardware or corrupt Software or file systems

The ubcd4win CD gives you the chance to check the RAM from the BCDW (first) menu run memtest86

Then boot up from ubcd4win CD to BartPE environment and run Western Digital Disk Check to check for damaged hard disk
      Then if hard disk is not physically damaged run chkdsk to fix any file system problems

Then try booting XP again

have you re installed XP again into a different folder from default c:\windows ?

If so copy or print out file c:\boot.ini and post it here
      sample boot.ini

[boot loader]
      timeout=10
      default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
      [operating systems]
      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

the UBCD4WIN CD boots into a Win PE environment not Win XP

regards
      Mike Barnes

#3 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

hello ,

it could be a virus (lovsan virus few years back used to do that)
        recently the has been another Hello,

There are some malware programs that will put your computer into this state (of logging back off immediately after logging on), and I have seen it a couple times in the last few weeks. For those computers, you will able to get it fixed using UBCD4Win and Remote Registry. On the problem PC's registry, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Look for string Userinit. Typically XP will show this value as C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Note The comma following the file path information is required.

If there is anything at all appended to this, just delete the extra crap...most likely a path to an offending DLL file. You should also run some malware removal utilities while you're at it, as the little bugger(s) will not be completely removed by simply editing this registry entry.
        =============================================================
        from MS site
        Wsaupdater.exe is spyware that changes Userinit.exe, to Wsaupdater.exe in the registry. Ad-Aware by Lavasoft removes the Wsaupdater.exe file from the computer, but it cannot change the registry subkey back to Userinit.exe,. The registry subkey that is changed is
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Value: Userinit
        Data: %Windir%\System32\Wsaupdater.exe

Note %windir% represents the location of the System32 folder. For example, if the location is C:\Windows\System32, the data would be C:\Windows\System32\Wsaupdater.exe.

The data should contain Userinit.exe, instead of Wsaupdater.exe. In the previous example, the data would be C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,.

Note The comma following the file path information is required.
        =============================================================
        and here is a good free tool to help:
        http://www.ezpcfix.n...cumentation.htm

Ben

Page 1 of 1
        • You cannot start a new topic
        • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
        0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users