• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cannot copy files to USB flash drive

#1 User is offline   trusso Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

I want to save my data before I format my drive and reinstall Windows. I booted from my UBCD4win v3.20.00 with my usb flash drive connected. When I get to the desktop and go to My COmputer, the flash drive is there. Whenever I drag any folder from the C drive, I get this message:

Error Copying File or Folder
    Cannot copy "file name": Cannot find the specified file
    Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

I am lost. I am dragging and it doesnt work. I copy and paste, and it doesnt work. Why is this happening?

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

The usual cause of that type of error happens when users slipstream other updates into their Windows source files or make other alterations to the source files.... but if the hard drive is damaged that may also cause it though we've not had that reported before
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   trusso Icon

• Pip

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

View Postrdsok, on May 28 2009, 12:05 AM, said:

The usual cause of that type of error happens when users slipstream other updates into their Windows source files or make other alterations to the source files.... but if the hard drive is damaged that may also cause it though we've not had that reported before

This is a Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop with Vista Home Basic on it. It has not been altered in any way and it is the original install that came from the factory. There is definitely no slipstreaming going on over here. I am able to view and open every file on the C drive. I just cant copy to my Kingston USB Flash drive. I can click on that drive and view and open any files on it also. I just cannot transfer anything to it.

This post has been edited by trusso: 27 May 2009 - 11:54 PM

#4 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:12 AM

You are here because you have a problem that you don't know how to resolve... so do not criticize what others may tell you are possible causes when they are likely to know more than you about that type of issue. I was telling you that in past instances where users reported issues with copying files it was caused by altered Windows source files that they used to build the UBCD4Win project with... I also provided you another possible cause even though it hadn't been reported it was still another possibility...

At this point either the Windows source file you used to build with are altered... or your hard disk is screwed up... those are your choses of possible causes... you don't have to agree with them but they are the only known ones none the less.

Build UBCD4Win with only unaltered source files... you can slipstream a service pack if needed but you can not make any other changes to them other than that. You should also never use a pirated copy of Windows to build with either since you have no way to know if its been changed or not.
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#5 User is offline   trusso Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

View Postrdsok, on May 28 2009, 02:12 AM, said:

You are here because you have a problem that you don't know how to resolve... so do not criticize what others may tell you are possible causes when they are likely to know more than you about that type of issue. I was telling you that in past instances where users reported issues with copying files it was caused by altered Windows source files that they used to build the UBCD4Win project with... I also provided you another possible cause even though it hadn't been reported it was still another possibility...

At this point either the Windows source file you used to build with are altered... or your hard disk is screwed up... those are your choses of possible causes... you don't have to agree with them but they are the only known ones none the less.

Build UBCD4Win with only unaltered source files... you can slipstream a service pack if needed but you can not make any other changes to them other than that. You should also never use a pirated copy of Windows to build with either since you have no way to know if its been changed or not.

Wow, you are real sesitive. How did you read my response and even remotely think I criticized anyone? I simply responded to your suggestions and informed you that neither of them were correct. You have to learn how to differentiate between criticism and factual responses. As for the third theory, no, I have a legitimate Windows. I dont think the hard drive is screwed up. I can access everything on it using the UBCD4Win. When I remove the drive and access it in another computer, I can access everything accept the folder I need (Documents and Settings) and that is probably because there is a password on the account.

I thank you for your suggestions but the problem is something else.

#6 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

Which windows source files do you use?
              Do you use a OEM windows source files?

#7 User is offline   trusso Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:18 AM

View Postcdob, on May 28 2009, 09:40 AM, said:

Which windows source files do you use?
                Do you use a OEM windows source files?

I used the Dell OEM windows that came with the computer. Here's the twist... does it matter if the UBCD4Win CD was made on an XP machine? You would know better than me but why would it make a difference? I am booting into the CD and it is running in it's own environment. I try to access files that are on an NTFS drive. The fact that Vista is on that drive shouldnt matter. I am not running Vista while using the UBCD4Win CD, correct? Either way, I can see and open and access every file on that C drive. I just cannot copy it. Any ideas?

#8 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:28 AM

Any ideas?

1. Try running chkdsk on both your hard drive and usb drive:
                  chkdsk c: /f /r

2. Use Subinacl to reset permissions on locked directories:
                  subinacl /subdirectories "C:\*.*" /grant=administrators=f 
                  subinacl /subdirectories "C:\*.*" /grant=system=f

3. If you still have problems copying then use Unstoppable Copier
                  If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#9 User is offline   trusso Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

View Postpcuser, on May 28 2009, 11:28 AM, said:

Any ideas?

1. Try running chkdsk on both your hard drive and usb drive:
                    chkdsk c: /f /r

2. Use Subinacl to reset permissions on locked directories:
                    subinacl /subdirectories "C:\*.*" /grant=administrators=f 
                    subinacl /subdirectories "C:\*.*" /grant=system=f

3. If you still have problems copying then use Unstoppable Copier

Thanks for the info. chkdsk showed no problems. I used the Unstoppable Copier. That seemed to work for awhile but now I see what is happening. The flash drive is not seen by UBCD4Win after a few minutes. It begins to copy and then stops. The drive letter is still in My COmputer but it is blank. If I remove it and plug it into another pc, the files are there. I just tried to copy the Documents folder (125MB) and only 65MB copied before it stopped. The flash drive is new and works perfectly in any other PC. It never loses connection with any other computer so this must be an issue with UBCD4Win. Thanks for your help.

#10 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:14 PM

hello,
                      if you just want to copy some files use this Vista PE (you can hot plug USB)
                      http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/

use imgburn to burn iso to CD-R
                      Ben

#11 User is offline   trusso Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:36 PM

View Postben_mott, on May 28 2009, 04:14 PM, said:

hello,
                        if you just want to copy some files use this Vista PE (you can hot plug USB)
                        http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/

use imgburn to burn iso to CD-R
                        Ben

Thanks for the link but I burned the image and all it is is what it on the Vista DVD (which I have). It is only the repair portion of the DVD. How am I supposed to use the usb flash drive with this? I tried the command prompt and used commands (ah, how I dont miss dos) and I was not ablt to copy the files. I could make directories (MD) and all but it didnt seem to like the syntax of my commands (c:\users\music\itunes\itunes music:\copy *.* f:\music\itunes\itunes music).

#12 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

With all the problems of Windows Explorer in regular Windows, I don't understand why people use it in UBCD4Win? Maybe we need to remove that "my computer" icon??
                          I always use xplorer2 lite from the quick launch button. Never a problem every, copying from or to anything. Dragging and dropping doesn't always work perfectly, so I play it safe.......right click the files I want, select copy, right click in an empty spot on the other drive, and then click paste.
                          "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#13 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:30 PM

View PostSteelTrepid, on May 29 2009, 05:45 PM, said:

With all the problems of Windows Explorer in regular Windows, I don't understand why people use it in UBCD4Win? Maybe we need to remove that "my computer" icon??

I don't know what the hell you are talking about here... I"ve never seen problems with Explorer in Windows or UBCD4Win unless there was actually something wrong ( altered/infected Windows or altered source files ) or just done incorrectly.

#14 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

Windows Explorer copies files very slowly. I have had it crash on many occasions.

The only time I use Windows Explorer in UBCD4Win is when I search for a file.
                              "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#15 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

sorry please also read next post

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=18758

This post has been edited by ben_mott: 30 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

• (2 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users