Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hard Drive Recovery

#1 User is offline   TinWhisker Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

I would like to use one of the hard drive tools on UBCD to create an image of the contents of my hard drive so that I can replace the drive, then just dump the image onto the new drive rather than having to re-install Windows and all of my software (which takes an eternity).

Can I do this with UBCD4Win? If so, which of the disk tools is best suited for this?

I have version 3.22, and just downloaded version 3.5

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:13 PM

You can do it with several of the utils that are included but which one you use/like is more of a personal preference. I like DiskImage XML found in the backup tools and we've recently added Easeus Partition Manager which looks real good also but I haven't used it personally... others include SelfImage ...

The best method would be to directly copy from the old drive to the new one if thats possible so you can skip the intermediate step of making a backup.
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   TinWhisker Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

View Postrdsok, on May 28 2009, 02:13 PM, said:

You can do it with several of the utils that are included but which one you use/like is more of a personal preference. I like DiskImage XML found in the backup tools and we've recently added Easeus Partition Manager which looks real good also but I haven't used it personally... others include SelfImage ...

The best method would be to directly copy from the old drive to the new one if thats possible so you can skip the intermediate step of making a backup.

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for opinions from people based on their experiences with the tools.

Also, if I want the new drive to take the place of my current drive, I don't think a simple copy will do it. Maybe I'm wrong here. I also do not yet have the drive installed.

My plan is to make a disk image of drive A, then remove drive A. Replace drive A with new, larger drive B, then put the image of drive A onto drive B, reboot system and have Windows come up like nothining happened.

Any other thoughts? Ideas?

This post has been edited by TinWhisker: 28 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

#4 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:43 PM

Hello,

useful information about driveImage XML
          http://www.darkchip....t%20Backup.html

note I am talking as an amature computer person
          some of the software are more intelligent than others
          for instance if you are copying a 40 Gb hard disk which contain 3 GB used data(and Operating system)
          ghost.exe or ghost32.exe will make an image size 3 GB ignoring the empty space but some of the others
          will copy every thing and you end up with an image size 40 GB which needs a Hard disk bigger than 40 GB
          while ghost would copy the 3GB image to an old IDE 6GB

Acronise 11 is also good but not as reliable as Ghost.exe or ghost32.exe
          it also got a plugin for Bart PE (which is UBCD4WIN)on their web site.
          ghost 32.exe do not need plug in it works by double clicking it from a file manager such as
          A43.exe

you usually find out some thing is wrong when you try to restore the image.
          one word of advise never move the image from one media (say HDD) to another media
          say DVD manually Ghost specially does not like that.

if you buy a new Hard disk buy a maxtor or seagate they have tools like Maxblast5 or seagate Tools
          which is basically Acronise True image 10 .
          and the give that free from their web site.

regards Ben

#5 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

My suggestion of using DriveImage XML IS based from my experience and it will allow you to copy ( actually image ) the drive to a newer / larger partition but it does take a bit of work as the link that ben provided sort of indicates....

The info about Easeus is provided because of the recommendations of others even though I've not used it personally because it was a recent addition to the project and all I've done with it at this time is basic tests, not full fledged ones with real data. It can do things that DIXML doesn't such as resize existing partitions... DIXML requires that you make a partition to move ( image ) the drive to first... Easeus doesn't require that step.

So don't dismiss info simply because someone may not have used a product completely... you may do yourself a big dis-service by doing that.
            Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#6 User is offline   The Piney Icon

• Advanced Member
            • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:45 AM

View Postrdsok, on May 28 2009, 02:13 PM, said:

I agree with rdsok in the fact that it is a personal preference thing. I have used Ghost in the past but not in the last several years. I have over the last 2-3 years been using Acronis True Image 9 to 11 from the Seagate tools and Maxblast downloads and more recently from a free download from "Giveaway of the day" and VNUNet, Paragon Partition Manager 8.5 and DriveImageXML. Most of the choices will allow you to copy/image directly from the old drive to a new drive even if it's smaller or larger as long the the data fits. They will also size or re-size the partitions if you need and some have more features. If the current drive is performing well, I suggest keeping it as a backup until you know for sure everything is working correctly. The only issue I've run across over the last couple years is if the chipset driver for the drive controller is included but you don't usually have an issue if your using the new Utils/Programs..

#7 User is offline   The Piney Icon

• Advanced Member
              • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:48 AM

I forgot to mention:

If you use VirtualBox, VMWare Player or Virtual PC you can boot to the CD or ISO within those programs and check out the features without worrying about data loss. This is a nice way to familiarize yourself with the various programs feature set.

#8 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

I wish I had the time to really press my point but I do not. Just want to mention that I strongly disagree with the statement about Acronis. Ghost is an ancient dinosaur that Symantec continues to make worse with every new release. I have seen A LOT more problems with Ghost and little with Acronis.

Immediately when I started to read this I wanted to mention Acronis but thought I shouldn't, but everyone else did. I think it's ok to mention the commercial tools, but let's focus on what the user is asking. Let's focus on the basis of the question. This is about what tools that are in UBCD4Win. It's fine to quickly mention that the paid tools are very nice (I love my Acronis!!) but do that quickly and let's focus on the free tools we provide. Years ago I couldn't afford Acronis so I personally had to try free ones, that has changed for me......but may never change for our users that read all of this.
                  "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

Page 1 of 1
                  • You cannot start a new topic
                  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                  0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users