• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cloning c-drive (incl. windows) to new HD

#1 User is offline   DizMan Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

Hi there.

I love Windows XP professional - but not right now. I can't get it up and running again... Windows was shut down properly and then all "the fun" started.

At reboot, I suddenly got a blue screen of death (BSOD) with this message: "Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM". Microsoft

Ok, I find my windows cd and boot into the recovery console, and I manage go get step 1 done (from the above description). The following steps must be completed after rebooting into windows.

I reboot, and oh no, a new BSOD, error code: 0x0000007B, It says something about inaccessible boot device and wants me to run a CHKDISK /F. Difficult, when you can't boot at all... Microsoft

Ok, I got UBCD4WIN downloaded and booted into that, and what did I do?

1) Tried all HD programs including the one from Western Digital - I've got 2 WD SATA drives in the PC. No errors
    2) I also ran CHKDISK /F without any errors
    3) Scanned for virus, malware etc. - no errors
    4) I completed the remaining steps from the description of the first registry error (including copying files from the system restore folder)
    5) I ran the tool designed for the 0x0000007B error

By the way: I can easily read and write from the disk when booted into UBCD4WIN - i just can't boot it normally. The 0x0000007B error remains. What to do?

I would very much like to keep all my data on the disk - and I would also prefer to keep my windows installation including all my settings etc.

* Could I buy a new (bigger) WD disk and clone my existing one to the new disk and then boot from that? My current disk is partitoned in two: C: (my windows system drive) and E:

* Is there any other way to solve the problem - I prefer programs free of charge - and preferably programs on the UBCD4WIN disk og equivalent boot disks. Could i for instance use a tool that writes a new master boot block?

Hope you can help me - all my calender entries etc. are of course on that annoying machine :-(

Thanks in advance...

Greetings from Diz

BTW: let me mention: No previous problems just before this one. One installation of new hardware, drivers or other software. I do not suspect my pc to be infected with a virus, as it recently have behaved normally and firewall etc. are always fully updated.

#2 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: BETA Tester
      • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:24 PM

I apologize as I did not read everything in the post. But, If you can still see the data on the drive using the UBCD4Win disk, then you have a good chance of recovering everything. The root issue is that the partition is no longer stable and Windows is unable to boot from it thus the 0x7B stop code. Basically it starts and then it loads a part of the OS and loses its boot location and stops.

Unplug that disk and leave it alone. Get another disk if you can and load windows on it. You won't be able to salvage apps and settings so no use trying in this venture. Then lpug in the old disk and boot to the UBCD4Wni and ccopy the data from one disk to the other.

Beware... Your old disk may be on the verge of destruction. Keep an eye on the copy and do not think that the drive will remain stable. Many times I have had a drive stay up long enough to get a majority of data only to completely die during a recovery. It is rare but happens and I approach every recovery with the mind set of the disk WILL die just I don't know when and I hope to get everything off.

Using HDTune can help also show whats wrong. If there is any bad sectors as would be shown in the SMAT tab section 5 then the disk is giong bad. If nothing is flagged, it is a bad partition and i would sstill back off your data and possibly try to do a partition rcovery but I would not hold much faith in it.

Hope this helps!
      \m/ (>.<) \m/

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
      BvS Wiki is a good place for information about the above mentioned game.
      It is free and browser based so will play anywhere on any machine!
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

#3 User is offline   DizMan Icon

• Pip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

View PostBvF7734, on Jun 9 2009, 08:24 PM, said:

Using HDTune can help also show whats wrong. If there is any bad sectors as would be shown in the SMAT tab section 5 then the disk is giong bad. If nothing is flagged, it is a bad partition and i would sstill back off your data and possibly try to do a partition rcovery but I would not hold much faith in it.

Hope this helps!

Thanks very much...

Just a note and a question from my side:

* HDTune didn't find any errors. However, it took longer time to perform it on the mentioned drive which is 200 GB than on the other newer drive which is 320 GB

* Which app would you recomend for copying the data? Isn't there any way to copy it all (for instance creating images?) with an app on UBCD4WIN or Norton Ghost or the like thus saving my settings, windows installation etc - I haven't any experience with that, but I would like to save me from reinstalling windows and all my apps - will take me many, many hours :-(

Greetings /Diz

#4 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:54 PM

I wouldn't agree that it's completely dire. I don't have the time to read all of this but I want to add my experiences with this problem.

In some cases it is a bad hard drive.
          I would not say there are partition issues because I honestly have never seen that with this error.
          Basically what happened is the registry files are screwed up. This is caused randomly, a failing hard drive, and maybe another one or two possible things.

I have sometimes fixed this with a chkdsk. Most of the time though I have needed to use Registry Restore Wizard. Of course there has to be restore points for it to work. You just restore back a few days and you should be all set.

One final thing to add, you did way TOO much. 3/4's of the things you did were not necessary and if there were problems with the hard drive, it could have died during all of those tests. If you are not sure what to do, you really need to ask for advice first before you get yourself into big trouble.

Try Registry Restore Wizard and you should be all set, it has always worked for me (50+ times!).
          "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#5 User is offline   DizMan Icon

• Pip

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:15 AM

Hi there

My WD 320 GB drive is unfortunately not currently bootable. It may be slowly dying or something else is wrong. I've tried the solutions mentioned here: Previous post - but i'm still getting stop code x0000007B on the old HD. I can however access the disk via UBCD4WIN without any problems.

I've not bought a new HD (WD 1 TB) and would like to clone the old one to the new one - at least the primary partition containing windows. Do you know if that can be done? Preferably with software on UBCD4WIN or other free software.

I've tried using the supplied EASEUS partition software. It has a cloning function, but it didn't work. When i chose "apply changes" it did some work and said: "rebooting to perform changes" - and then "error when rebooting".

I then found some other partitioning software on the internet: BootIt Next Generation. It cloned the primary partition (60 GB) in say 30 minutes. I then removed the old HD and put the new one as 1. master. Before first boot on HD, i again booted via cd and made the new primary partition active.

When trying to boot on the new HD nothing happens. I mean all the normal bios messages are shown and then it show a black screen with a blinking cursor and a single white exclamation mark. :thumbdown:

What to do? I would very much like not having to install my windows and everything again

Thanks in advance.

Summer greetings from Diz

#6 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Admin

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

Please do not start new topics when you already have an existing topic concerning the same issue... I've merged you newest topic into the existing one.

If you clone the drive which already has errors on it to a new drive... you will also clone the errors.
              Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#7 User is offline   BvF7734 Icon

• Ultimate Member
              • PipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: BETA Tester
                • Interests:My wife, twin boys, and baby girl. Astrophysics and all things car and computer related.<br /><br />Gaming big time with RTS games.<br /><br />Heavy into MAME and other emulation.

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

Some errors are not recoverable. If you ran chkdisk already then you have done just about everything you can. The partition/disk is messed and you will have to start from scratch. You don't want to. Acknowledged. Tough. Sometimes you have to. Save what you can and start from scratch.
                \m/ (>.<) \m/

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
                BvS Wiki is a good place for information about the above mentioned game.
                It is free and browser based so will play anywhere on any machine!
                You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do or say will be exaggerated or mis-quoted and used against you.

Page 1 of 1
                • You cannot start a new topic
                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users