UBCD4Win Forums: Bootable DOS CD that can read from a USB flash drive? - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bootable DOS CD that can read from a USB flash drive?

#1 User is offline   DWalker Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:49 AM

I have used UBCD4Win many times in the past and it's great.

I would like to find an ISO for a bootable CD that runs some version of DOS, and can read from a USB flash drive. (I don't need to boot from the USB drive; I can boot from a CD.) I have also read a lot of threads at bootdisk.com, and a lot of threads from Google searches. They talk about a lot of various drivers, and the setup sounds complicated. I am willing to pay a few bucks for an ISO image that I can burn to a CD, and boot some version of DOS or FreeDOS, which has support to read from a USB flash drive that I plug in.

The various DOS versions that the multi-boot of UBCD4Win has, don't seem to handle USB flash drives -- and they seem complicated to use. I know that in Dos, when you plug in a flash drive, a new drive letter doesn't magically appear in the GUI... since there is no GUI... but still.

(The MultiBootCD for DOS that I selected in the Plugins section doesn't appear as a choice when I actually boot the UBCD4Win CD, and that's confusing.)

If anything like this exists, please let me know! Thanks.

David Walker

#2 User is online   bengt Icon

• Skeptic
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

View PostDWalker, on Jun 18 2009, 06:49 PM, said:

The MultiBootCD for DOS that I selected in the Plugins section doesn't appear as a choice when I actually boot the UBCD4Win CD, and that's confusing.

You need to run the <Press CONFIG> to download and add the iso and extract its content.

This post has been edited by bengt: 18 June 2009 - 12:43 PM

#3 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

Download THIS file then extract USBASPI.SYS and di1000dd.sys from it and copy them to your dos/Freedos floppy disk or disk image then make a new text file called CONFIG.SYS

CONFIG.SYS:
        DOS=HIGH,UMB
        lastdrive=Z
        device=HIMEM.SYS
        devicehigh=USBASPI.SYS /v /w /e
        devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS

If you enable "Legacy USB Support" in the bios then you can access your usb drive from dos without the need for these drivers but that's not always an option and can just plain be a hastle sometimes.
        If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#4 User is offline   DWalker Icon

• Pip

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

View Postbengt, on Jun 18 2009, 11:17 AM, said:

View PostDWalker, on Jun 18 2009, 06:49 PM, said:

The MultiBootCD for DOS that I selected in the Plugins section doesn't appear as a choice when I actually boot the UBCD4Win CD, and that's confusing.

You need to run the <Press CONFIG> to download and add the iso and extract its content.

I did that, and the stuff was downloaded and extracted, but the choice to run MultiBoot For DOS doesn't appear in the multiboot menu when I boot with the CD.

#5 User is offline   DWalker Icon

• Pip

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:03 PM

View Postpcuser, on Jun 18 2009, 01:31 PM, said:

Download THIS file then extract USBASPI.SYS and di1000dd.sys from it and copy them to your dos/Freedos floppy disk or disk image then make a new text file called CONFIG.SYS

CONFIG.SYS:
            DOS=HIGH,UMB
            lastdrive=Z
            device=HIMEM.SYS
            devicehigh=USBASPI.SYS /v /w /e
            devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS

If you enable "Legacy USB Support" in the bios then you can access your usb drive from dos without the need for these drivers but that's not always an option and can just plain be a hastle sometimes.

Thanks, BUT I'm not looking to make bootable floppies; I'm trying to make a bootable CD that runs DOS and can read USB flash drives. I don't know how to get the floppy-based files into an ISO image that I can burn to a CD.

This seems like it should be easier, like... isn't there an ISO image out there somewhere that I can burn to a CD, and when I boot it, it will run DOS, and have support to read USB thumb drives?

#6 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:00 PM

You can use a program like IMDISK to mount the Freedos floppy image that comes with UBCD4Win (%UBCD4Win%\plugin\Multiboot-003\FreeDos\Freedos.img) then copy those two files to it and uncomment these lines in config.sys:
              rem device=usbaspi.sys
              rem device=di1000dd.sys

change it to:
              device=usbaspi.sys
              device=di1000dd.sys

Save the file, unmount the image, rebuild UBCD4Win.
              If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#7 User is offline   The Piney Icon

• Advanced Member
              • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:31 PM

View PostDWalker, on Jun 18 2009, 04:03 PM, said:

Thanks, BUT I'm not looking to make bootable floppies; I'm trying to make a bootable CD that runs DOS and can read USB flash drives. I don't know how to get the floppy-based files into an ISO image that I can burn to a CD.

This seems like it should be easier, like... isn't there an ISO image out there somewhere that I can burn to a CD, and when I boot it, it will run DOS, and have support to read USB thumb drives?

If your not looking for something to add to UBCD4Win or even if you are, you can use the FreeDOS LiveCD..

Just download the fdfullcd.iso file from here-> http://www.freedos.org/freedos/files/

Hope that's what you are looking for..

This post has been edited by The Piney: 18 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

Page 1 of 1
                • You cannot start a new topic
                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users