Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

window wont load because

#1 User is offline   3dkingpin Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:57 PM

Getting fed up with this problem now, I have had a bug in the system for last few months and every now and again after i fix things up it manifests as some other issue. I was working on a project when suddenly i heard a clicking noise from the box the computer seemed to slow down after a few minutes of this, while i frantically tried to close the current program the blue screen came up saying a serious problem occcured maybe due to hardware or incorrect drivers. Thing is it had been working fine last two weeks and i had not installed any new hardware. Only thing new today was i had ordered a microSD card USB reader and plugged that (plug & play device) into the computer and i installed itself.

Now the problem is when i reboot it will not load windows instead shows a black screen stating:
    Quote:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt:
    \windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
    original setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
    I tried putting in my windows xp pro cd and booted off that but at no point does it offer me option 'r' to repair the drive or OS. It only asks me where i want to install windows. I have two drives, the first has two partitions one of which has the current OS on (Drive C)

so what do i do. I am hopefully looking for a way to repair the windows OS or registry and get it up and running without having to reinstal window.

NOw i tried to make the ubcd boot disk it built with 28 warnings. I burnt it onto DVD. I booted my broken PC using that DVD and it booted showing the BART PE picture then asks me what i want to do, I selected run/load UBCD etc... it tries to load files then says a file named something like 3wareflt.sys is missing and then aborts!!

#2 User is offline   thomasjk Icon

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

This excellent article should help solve your problem http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp.
      Tom K.

#3 User is offline   3dkingpin Icon

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

problem is it never gives me the option to press R it goes straight to the screen where its asking me where i want to install windows, which i dnt want to do. if i do selct a location and press enter it then says it has found a previous windows OS and installing might stop that working thats where is stop

#4 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:12 PM

Please pay attention to the forum location you are posting in... This issue was a Windows issue and had nothing to do with UBCD4Win which was the forum area you placed it in... I've moved it to the proper area.

I hope that once you started having problems you were wise enough to have backed up any important information... you certainly had enough warning from your description that you provided.

The error you mentioned indicates a corrupted registry and from the sound of it, you have some failing hardware that may be the cause. You may have a chance to recover the installation but since this has been an ongoing problem, you will want to backup any data if you are able to recover if you hadn't already done that.

Build a UBCD4Win disk as instructed on the main website. Boot from the disk and perform a thorough CheckDisk first... restart the system and see if that helped with the error. If the error isn't corrected, boot into UBCD4Win again and run the Registry Restore Wizard to restore an earlier registry backup from the System Restore.

Once you get to that point, I'd suggest you use some of the other disk tests to see if the hard drive is starting to fail and also run MemTest to check the system memory. If those don't turn out to be the problem areas, check for poor cooling by inspecting your system fan's and also look at the motherboard for any capacitors that may be leaking or bulging.
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#5 User is offline   3dkingpin Icon

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

is it not possible to buy or obtain a ready to go bootable ubcd4 cd that works. I have sp3. the one i made had problems and from reading around it seems there numerous issues

#6 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

Also as stated all over the forum it is illegal to distribute a bootable UBCD4Win disk... You must build it from the Windows disk that you own. If you are having trouble making a disk to work with your system, you should start a thread for that issue stating the problems as well as what you are building with etc.

There are no issues with UBCD4Win that haven't been resolved... the most common issue is the user may need to provide the proper drivers in some cases with newer hardware and that is about it.
              Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#7 User is offline   3dkingpin Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:31 PM

View Postthomasjk, on Jun 27 2009, 10:18 PM, said:

This excellent article should help solve your problem http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp.

thanks that seemed to have worked. very concise and easy to follow and reccomend it to anyone with similar problem.

The problem i now have is that although windows loads up it seems it has lost most of the settings and programs. For examlpe all my firefox bookmarks are gone. ALl my quick lauch icons are one. most programs will not run. virus checker wont run. etc... if i have to reinstall all the programs again then what was the point?

the other impotant issue is why do i have to choose which OS to use at boot up i only have windows xp installed to drive c: but it gives me a choice of two windows xp to choose from. i choose the second one.

#8 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:23 PM

The registry hive which you had corrupted was probably the location that the settings for the programs etc were kept in... The instructions you followed replaced the missing registry with a new copy instead of restoring a backup of it as the suggestion I had given you would have been able to do.

There are times that a Windows Repair is in order, this wasn't one of them if you were wanting to keep the items you lost... you simply chose the wrong course of action for the situation.

#9 User is offline   3dkingpin Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:35 PM

I have a full registry backup from late 2008 how do i restore that one. i kow its old but most of my prgrams have been installed for a long time

#10 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:36 PM

I don't know what went wrong? I didn't take the time to see what is outlined in that link but in the other post, my instructions were pretty clear. If those instructions are different then I would suggest that mine would have probably worked better. It makes me wonder also, did you test the hard drive for errors? I guess all we can do is try to help.
                      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#11 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

Steel, they didn't follow our suggestions that we both made to use UBCD4Win... they did a Windows Repair instead and since there was a corrupted registry, the Repair process setup a default registry hive for the corrupted one and replaced all updated Windows files with the originals from their CD as a Repair would. If there hadn't been a registry issue the settings would have been there and the only thing left to do would be re-update Windows again.

3dkingpin,

You can't use an old registry backup at this point... the Windows Repair will in effect make your old registry files obsolete. In addition the old registry from a year ago may have still been too far out of sync with your system as it is now... or was before the Repair.

#12 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

Well, I don't even know why I waste my time with the whole "I didn't take time to check it out" crap. I do that on occasion for some dumb reason.

I went to the link after posting and saw what it suggested. No offense Thomas, but I think you missed something from his post? He already mentioned trying to do the repair procedure and it wouldn't work. Doesn't matter much now so there really isn't any reason to start a possible fight. That is not what we are about.
                          "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users