• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Too Keep Iso Under 700Mb To Fit On Cd

#1 User is offline   leeg02 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:57 PM

when I make a .iso it's bigger than 700 and will not fit on a CD. I'm just using all the defaults. How do I make sure when I make the .iso it will fit on a CD? If that means I have to say no to including something on the .iso what would be the best or most redundant program to delete - I wouldn't need.

Could I also have an easy to understand link to how to update programs and update AVs and spyware scanner defs for UBCD4win. Is this possible at some point?

Previously when using UBCD4Win I had major problems - some things did just not work. I think this was because the PC being repaired had too little memory and programs were bugging out. Is there a way while I'm using UBCD4win to clear out the memory/ram as I switch programs? What's best way to handle it?

If I want to make a new .iso do I have to get OS system files off an OS install CD? If I've already done an install and made an iso already can I direct the build script to an existing dir on my PC in the UBCD4Win folder with that? Or just pop the OS CD in aagain?

Thanks very much.

This post has been edited by leeg02: 17 July 2009 - 10:00 PM

#2 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:43 PM

when I make a .iso it's bigger than 700 and will not fit on a CD. I'm just using all the defaults. How do I make sure when I make the .iso it will fit on a CD?

There currently is no way to determine the iso size before building. The default UBCD4Win release WILL fit on a 700MB cd but updating all of the AV/AS programs and defs will most likely put it above 700MB.

If that means I have to say no to including something on the .iso what would be the best or most redundant program to delete - I wouldn't need.

How can anyone but YOU answer that? Look through the list of plugins and decide for yourself what you want to include and what you don't.

When you visit a site like download.com, do you look at it and say jeez, I'm going to need umpteen jigabytes of storage to get all this stuff downloaded or do you simply pick and choose what you want? Do you ask them how you're going to get the entire collection to fit on your hard drive that isn't big enough?

Could I also have an easy to understand link to how to update programs and update AVs and spyware scanner defs for UBCD4win. Is this possible at some point?

Any of the AV/AS plugins that read "Config to update" can be updated by selecting the plugin then hitting the "Config" button.

Previously when using UBCD4Win I had major problems - some things did just not work. I think this was because the PC being repaired had too little memory and programs were bugging out. Is there a way while I'm using UBCD4win to clear out the memory/ram as I switch programs? What's best way to handle it?

Rebooting is the easiest way to free memory but it sounds like you're really wanting to know how to free space on the ramdrive. Start -> Clear Ramdrive. It's a good idea to do this after running any of the AV/AS programs or anything that gets extracted to the ramdrive (B:\), especially if you're short on RAM.

If I want to make a new .iso do I have to get OS system files off an OS install CD? If I've already done an install and made an iso already can I direct the build script to an existing dir on my PC in the UBCD4Win folder with that? Or just pop the OS CD in aagain?

You can create a new iso from your existing BartPE folder (without rebuilding) by opening UBCD4WinBuilder.exe and pressing F5.
      If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#3 User is offline   leeg02 Icon

• Pip

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:13 PM

"You can create a new iso from your existing BartPE folder (without rebuilding) by opening UBCD4WinBuilder.exe and pressing F5."

That's not working for me.

What is the source path to the windows installation files on my C:\UBCD4Win folder. Normally I assume in an initially these files come from a CD. I'm asking if I need to use the CD again or whether since I already built an iso the files in question are on my hard drive somewhere now so I can build another iso with out the CD(?)

Also for some reason with all the defaults AFAIK I get over 700m with an iso and it won't fit on a CD. But I'll eliminate a program or two and get under 700m.

Thanks

#4 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

Pressing F5 won't work if you deleted the BartPE folder.
          If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#5 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:19 PM

View Postpcuser, on 20 July 2009 - 02:18 PM, said:

Pressing F5 won't work if you deleted the BartPE folder.

Also, the builder will not do anything if you don't have a valid source path defined.
            So even if you still have the \bartpe folder, but have removed your source files you cannot simply rebuild the ISO with pebuilder.
            Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#6 User is offline   HANIER Icon

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:18 AM

[quote name='leeg02' date='18 July 2009 - 10:57 AM' timestamp='1247885847' post='74911']
              when I make a .iso it's bigger than 700 and will not fit on a CD. I'm just using all the defaults. How do I make sure when I make the .iso it will fit on a CD? If that means I have to say no to including something on the .iso what would be the best or most redundant program to delete - I wouldn't need.

I am new at this also. I am not going to change or try to delete anything. It appears that the iso., I created is larger than 700MB as well. My burner is a DVD-R+W. I would like to know if I use a DVD-R disc and continue on, would this be ok?

Thank you

This post has been edited by HANIER: 24 July 2009 - 01:20 AM

#7 User is online   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:46 AM

Yes, you may write the ISO image to DVD-R,DVD+R,DVD-RW,DVD+RW,DVD-RAM.

Just wondering: which windows source files do you use?
                Do you use OEM files? Which OEM files do you use?

#8 User is offline   HANIER Icon

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:24 AM

View Postcdob, on 24 July 2009 - 03:46 PM, said:

I used a XP SP3 windows cd. I copied the contents to a folder on the HD as per the instructions. The .iso that was created was just over 700MB.

Thank you

This post has been edited by HANIER: 24 July 2009 - 03:25 AM

#9 User is offline   Gedrean Icon

• Advanced Member
                  • PipPipPipPip
                    • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

View PostHANIER, on 24 July 2009 - 03:24 AM, said:

I used a XP SP3 windows cd. I copied the contents to a folder on the HD as per the instructions. The .iso that was created was just over 700MB.

Thank you

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Sadly, SP3 is... well, annoying, to say the least. It adds content to WXP that isn't actually used in the UBCD4Win/PE Built CDs, but is INCLUDED because the file-list to allow system compatibility includes those files. Even if they're not useful. At all.

If you have an SP2 source, it is preferred to use that, as it WILL make a by-default 695 MB or so disc. However, since you have an SP3 disc, you may have to go through and choose one or two things to remove.

Honestly, choosing what to remove depends on your particular needs for the disc. If you are using it as a general, all-around troubleshooter, you could do as I do and pare some of the categories (like Disk Tools-Backup and Disk Tools-Defrag, or Antivirus, or AntiMalware/AntiSpyware) down to 2-3 items at max. To be honest, these days the "virus removal tools" are quite redundant with the Antivirus packages we include -- however they are FAR more useful on systems with very little memory as they do NOT need updated, they do NOT go to Ramdrive, and they run MUCH faster to remove a large number of viruses. Their downside? New viruses exist.

AntiSpyware - well, we do end up having three or four options default (I think), A-Squared Free, Spybot, VIPRE, and there was one right below VIPRE in the list I think... anyhow, most of the time one can get away with just one or two in that list to cut down space. It depends on your preferences. Me, I kinda avoid the Spybot plugin because to update it requires that the program itself run on the computer, and it leaves the build computer unstable sometimes. Contrarily, I love VIPRE and the fourth one, because they don't have pretty easy interfaces and I can do a lot of neat stuff with them in command line. But that's me, I'm an extremely advanced PC repair guy in general.

Antivirus, my bet is USUALLY on just AntiVir - but that's because the machines I repair generally have 2GB to 16GB (!!!) of RAM, so I think absolutely nothing of a 1GB Ramdrive. Of course, in that instance, I usually end up building a disc method that runs entirely in RAM, but I get away from the topic.

Point is, unfortunately NONE of us can decide for YOU what is best to remove from YOUR CD. These are some of the suggestions that should save 10-40 MB overall, enough to pare it down. My truest recommendation is this:

Get on Google.
                    Look up the name of EVERY SINGLE ONE of the plugins you are considering removing for space.
                    Use reviews and webpages to compare their results, performance, and most of all interface (because you want one you can feel comfortable using).
                    Use that to decide what you want to remove, and what you want to keep.

I'll be honest, that may make the process take weeks. I know that to build my first U4W took me approximately 17 days, because I went through to learn what EVERY plugin did. End result? I knew what I had when I made the disc. Well worth it.

Course, you could follow some of my earlier (bad) advice to trim down your stuff. But don't say I didn't warn you. We take no liability. I am a liability!
                    Here since February 2007, and just now got 7 demerits. I love me some Troll thread.

#10 User is offline   cioangel Icon

• Pip

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:30 AM

View PostGedrean, on 24 July 2009 - 05:42 AM, said:

View PostHANIER, on 24 July 2009 - 03:24 AM, said:

Thank you

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Sadly, SP3 is... well, annoying, to say the least. It adds content to WXP that isn't actually used in the UBCD4Win/PE Built CDs, but is INCLUDED because the file-list to allow system compatibility includes those files. Even if they're not useful. At all.

If you have an SP2 source, it is preferred to use that, as it WILL make a by-default 695 MB or so disc. However, since you have an SP3 disc, you may have to go through and choose one or two things to remove.

Honestly, choosing what to remove depends on your particular needs for the disc. If you are using it as a general, all-around troubleshooter, you could do as I do and pare some of the categories (like Disk Tools-Backup and Disk Tools-Defrag, or Antivirus, or AntiMalware/AntiSpyware) down to 2-3 items at max. To be honest, these days the "virus removal tools" are quite redundant with the Antivirus packages we include -- however they are FAR more useful on systems with very little memory as they do NOT need updated, they do NOT go to Ramdrive, and they run MUCH faster to remove a large number of viruses. Their downside? New viruses exist.

AntiSpyware - well, we do end up having three or four options default (I think), A-Squared Free, Spybot, VIPRE, and there was one right below VIPRE in the list I think... anyhow, most of the time one can get away with just one or two in that list to cut down space. It depends on your preferences. Me, I kinda avoid the Spybot plugin because to update it requires that the program itself run on the computer, and it leaves the build computer unstable sometimes. Contrarily, I love VIPRE and the fourth one, because they don't have pretty easy interfaces and I can do a lot of neat stuff with them in command line. But that's me, I'm an extremely advanced PC repair guy in general.

Antivirus, my bet is USUALLY on just AntiVir - but that's because the machines I repair generally have 2GB to 16GB (!!!) of RAM, so I think absolutely nothing of a 1GB Ramdrive. Of course, in that instance, I usually end up building a disc method that runs entirely in RAM, but I get away from the topic.

Point is, unfortunately NONE of us can decide for YOU what is best to remove from YOUR CD. These are some of the suggestions that should save 10-40 MB overall, enough to pare it down. My truest recommendation is this:

Get on Google.
                      Look up the name of EVERY SINGLE ONE of the plugins you are considering removing for space.
                      Use reviews and webpages to compare their results, performance, and most of all interface (because you want one you can feel comfortable using).
                      Use that to decide what you want to remove, and what you want to keep.

I'll be honest, that may make the process take weeks. I know that to build my first U4W took me approximately 17 days, because I went through to learn what EVERY plugin did. End result? I knew what I had when I made the disc. Well worth it.

Course, you could follow some of my earlier (bad) advice to trim down your stuff. But don't say I didn't warn you. We take no liability. I am a liability!

I just wanted to thank you for this thread. I have been away for some time and now that I am back, once again I am on the best single disk software compilation available. Very competition individuals as well. Ok, now that I am done with the I'm not worthy speach, hehe, I am having the same problems. I see my mistake was updating all the spyware, antivirus, and etc pushed me over the 700Mb line. Am I to understand that disabling a software add on removes it from the to-be-written to disk data, therefore changing the completed total CD size?

Thanks for your time folks...

-cioangel

#11 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:25 AM

Am I to understand that disabling a software add on removes it from the to-be-written to disk data, therefore changing the completed total CD size?
                        YES

#12 User is offline   cioangel Icon

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:20 AM

View Posthilander999, on 25 July 2009 - 04:25 AM, said:

Am I to understand that disabling a software add on removes it from the to-be-written to disk data, therefore changing the completed total CD size?
                          YES

Not trying to push you over the sanity boundry, but I wanted to be very clear on this... "disabling" software reduces the final compilation size and not just "remove" ???

:blink:

-cioangel

#13 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Skeptic
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

View Postcioangel, on 27 July 2009 - 09:20 AM, said:

YES

Not trying to push you over the sanity boundry, but I wanted to be very clear on this... "disabling" software reduces the final compilation size and not just "remove" ???

-cioangel

YES (still)
                            enable = builder includes software during build = added size
                            disable = builder does not include software during build = reduced size

#14 User is offline   Gedrean Icon

• Advanced Member
                            • PipPipPipPip
                              • Group: BETA Tester

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

ROFL the quote pyramid and the repetition is beautiful.
                              Here since February 2007, and just now got 7 demerits. I love me some Troll thread.

#15 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:18 PM

View Postbengt, on 27 July 2009 - 05:57 AM, said:

View Postcioangel, on 27 July 2009 - 09:20 AM, said:

YES

-cioangel

YES (still)
                                enable = builder includes software during build = added size
                                disable = builder does not include software during build = reduced size

There is nothing better then a properly executed quote pyramid. ;)

• (2 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users