UBCD4Win Forums: Network Adapter Not Available In Xp Pro After Ubcd4 - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Network Adapter Not Available In Xp Pro After Ubcd4

#1 User is offline   joebit Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:17 AM

Hi All,
    I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. I've just downloaded and used your fantastic UBCD4 for windows software. All good. Able to rid my office system of numerous virused. Thanks for that. My issue is that when I'm logged into windows XP via ubcd4 i'm able to connect to my network create network drives and access the internet all normally. As soon as I log into xp pro normally from my normal boot drive everything is working normally no error messages, until I view my network adpter details in the hardware manager. My network adapter has a exclamation mark through it under my network adapters main heading. The network adapter is a standard intel pro VM 100 onboard adapter. I'm now no longer able to access my network or access the internet. The machine is a compaq evo d510 tower. I've tried to reinstall the drivers all to no avail. Windows tells ne that the driver is not present or corrupt so I've deleted the driver an reinstalled. Still no luck.

I'm a little stuck before I used the ubcd4 disk the network was working and again the network adapter is operative when I use the CD.

#2 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:49 AM

Some or all of the files were probbly infected by a virus or malware.
      Download the latest driver version from the MFG's website.

remove the nic, then boot into windows.
      Shut down and insert the NIC back into the mainboard, if you have another slot empty, try it there.

If your NIC is built into the mainboard, turn it off in the bios and cycle the OS, then turn in back on and reboot.
      Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#3 User is offline   joebit Icon

• Pip

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

All all,
        Thanks for your prompt reply. After reading it I have returned to my office and tried what you have suggested.

At this stage it appears that this solution hasn't worked. The NIC is an onboard intel adapter. I have uninstalled the drivers through the device manager, disabled it through the bios and started restated windows. No sign of the adapter. Shut down and restarted, re-enabled through the bios and as soon as XP restarts it auomatically reloads the driver.

The driver is fully working because I am posting this reply from the the machine with the problem with the UBCD4 loaded all connecting to the internet with no issue. I don't beleive that the network files were infected as mentioned in thew last post. I beleive the issue to be somehow related to the loading of the network resources through UBCD4.

I'm thinking that I will have no other option but to reload Windows XP again.

What do you or anybody else think?

Regards

Joe

#4 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
        • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:39 AM

Hi joebit

The problem may be a badly designed motherboard or BIOS

My organisation had a batch of PC's (I can't remember if they were Dell Optiplex or HP Compaq deskpro)
          If 'wake on lan' was used the PC's woke up but after next reboot the network card no longer worked.
          A engineer had to go to each PC and re enable the network card.

I don't think re installing XP will cure this problem

If you disable the network driver pack and install only the network driver for your PC it may work (but only on your PC)
          Network drivers go in Drivers\NET\[Intelpro]

regards
          Mike Barnes

#5 User is offline   joebit Icon

• Pip

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:06 AM

If the motherboard or bios were defective surely the network adapter would not function while in UBCD4 mode as well as in normal mode. The network card was working perfectly prior to the use of the boot CD. The device manager sees the the adapter and recognizes the make and model of the adapter. The problem is that Windows says the driver is corrupt yet the corrupt drivers works under UBCD4.

Very Odd!

Regards

Joe

#6 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Admin

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

View Postjoebit, on 26 July 2009 - 06:06 AM, said:

If the motherboard or bios were defective surely the network adapter would not function while in UBCD4 mode as well as in normal mode. The network card was working perfectly prior to the use of the boot CD. The device manager sees the the adapter and recognizes the make and model of the adapter. The problem is that Windows says the driver is corrupt yet the corrupt drivers works under UBCD4.

Don't misrepresent the problem... the issue you had has nothing to do with actually booting in UBCD4Win... It started with the malware you mentioned removing, because you did it in UBCD4Win is beside the point.

The following is probably info you needed to learn before you started working on the system but perhaps it will help in other situtions in the event you have something like this happen again.

People that aren't very familiar with malware removal tend to act/think that it is a cut and dry issue but that isn't the case. Each malware can act and affect a system differently. Because of this, the user performing the cleanup work MUST pay close attention to what is being detected and removed. Most of the utils that are used for this are also able to produce a report of what they have detected and what was performed. Saving the reports to a location you can reach after leaving UBCD4Win is the best method in order to finish any cleanup issues that may happen. Without that information it will make it a lot harder ( as you are finding out ) to finish the repair job.
              Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#7 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:59 PM

If the motherboard or bios were defective surely the network adapter would not function while in UBCD4

Not all bios functions are enabled while the /minint switch has been applied to text mode setup.

All PE builds are based off the root text mode setup and use txtsetup.sif to apply the more important drivers to the system. It makes sense that you may have removed a root file that is required for a sub-component of the networking system. Textmode setup uses bad bios listing to skip known bad bios functions while performing system setup.

You have proven that the problem is not hardware related, so now you just need to nail down the actual cause and replace the files.

There is also the chance that part of the infection still remains and is causing this issue. Malware likes to redirect system functions to dll's and system files that they install. Sometimes these are renamed existing files and sometimes they are hidden or part of a rootkit.

I would recommend you start a post at www.malwarebytes.org and let them help you make sure the system is clean before trying to patch the broken system files because if part of the infection is still there you are just walking around in circles.
                Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#8 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
                • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

Hi jeobit

I was thinking that in some cases a Device Driver not specifically made for that motherboard may appear to work under Ubcd4win / BartPE
                  while the one recommended by the motherboard manufacturer would work correctly under BartPE & XP
                  as you said the PC was now working correctly.

maybe as hilander999 & rdsok said removing the virus/malware also deleted some of the driver files which have now been replaced

If you boot from ubcd4win again, do nothing then reboot from XP you will see if ubcd4win and its Intelpro network driver is causing your lack of network problem or not

regards
                  Mike Barnes

#9 User is offline   joebit Icon

• Pip

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for your input all. I had a feeling that the problem may still be there. I wasn't suggesting that my problem was the ubcd4. I was merely stating that the adapter was working under that method of booting and that meant that there was nothing wrong with the adapter. In any event I thing this product is extremely clever and has pulled my entire network out of deep trouble.

I will post at a malware removal forum because i believe that there may still be signs of trouble even though the computer is running smoothly.

Again thanks!

regards

Joe

Page 1 of 1
                    • You cannot start a new topic
                    • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                    0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users