Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ubcd4Win & Windows 7

#1 User is offline   keithfrench Icon

• PipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:53 AM

I am trying out the Windows 7 RC and will be buying a new PC in the autumn. Using the Window 7 RC DVD, can I build UBCD4Win using V3.50? Has anyone tried DriveImage XML, or any of the other disk imaging programs on V3.50 with Windows 7? I want to take an image of my new PC as soon as I get it and think that UBCD4Win is the best way forward.

#2 User is offline   masterchi Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:41 AM

Windows Vista and Windows 7's imaging utilities (backup) are some of the best i've seen and i highly suggest you use that instead. The imageX utility with Vista and 7 and they have an option for a full image backup with compression. Use it so when things do crash you can boot to the CD and just restore from your full image backup. Its also quicker then DXML. Just try it on the RC you have and see if you like it. Nice thing is with command lines you can keep your backup up to date by applying windows updates to it without ever deploying and recapturing the image :)

Building UBCD4Win with windows 7 source files.......won't work. If you've used UBCD4Win before you'd notice it depends on Winxp so i'm almost positive the source from 7 or even vista will not build the cd.

#3 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

if you buy a PC or laptop after 22Oct 09 make sure is comes with Windows 7 and not vista
        Windows 7 is Bsically (Vista plus SP1 plus SP2 )
        Vista DVD and Windows7 installation DVD are Bootable PE and they are hot plug
        which means if you put ghost32.exe and say A43 file manager on a USB memory stick
        boot with installation Windos 7(or Vista )DVD using A43 file manager you can brows to
        the USB disk and double click ghost32 and if it is one which came with ghost 14 it should be
        Vista compatible
        with UBCD4win you can use drive image XML to image the Disk but it will not be bootable
        you need to boot with installation DVD and choose repair option to repair the bootand make it bootable.
        Vista and windows7(son of Vista ) have different booting system they have the boot manager and a
        BCD (boot configuration data store.

your windows 7 RC runs out in march MS are selling Windows 7 at half price now and delivery 22 october 09
        Regards Ben
        :)

Page 1 of 1
        • You cannot start a new topic
        • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
        0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users