• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problems Loading Windows Xp On Toshiba A105

#1 User is offline   spsvf1 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:10 AM

Hello,

Recently, I encountered a problem with my Toshiba A105 laptop upon start-up. Once I turn on the power button I am greeted with a black screen with the following message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

The only options I have to click are:
    safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, and start Windows normally.

I have tried to click on each of the five options, and the computer always reboots to the same screen.

Just prior to this problem; I noticed a Windows Update had been downloaded, which required a re-start. Once the screen powered back on I saw the on-screen message as described above. I should also mention that I started the computer with the AC power cord plugged in the wall outlet, which I do not typically do.

I found a disc that came with my initial purchase, Toshiba Recovery and Applications/Drivers, which I did manage to load. Upon inserting the disc I was asked to click "yes", with the understanding that all of my data would be erased. However, I wish to preserve my data if at all possible. As a result, I selected "no", and was unable to continue further. I phoned Toshiba tech/customer service and learned that my particular model did not ship with an actual XP installation disc. The tech advised that I would likely require a fresh XP installation. He stated that, save from transferring my hard drive to another computer, my chances at recovering any files would be slim.

What are my options/alternatives at this point? Thank you in advance, and apologize for the lengthy post. I am not very tech savvy, and am grateful for any forum members' kind assistance.

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

After you turn on the system start tapping the F8 key as if you were going to go into Safe Mode... then see if it provides you the option to not restart the system on an error... If it does, then the system should boot to the BSOD screen which can help tell you what direction you may need to go in.

Write down the full error message if that works and then you can use that info to determine your next steps you may need to take.

If that doesn't help... Then you will need to be able to create a bootable CD with a util such as UBCD4Win. This unfortunately requires that you actually have a normal XP install disk to make it from. You may actually be able to create one from the Recovery Disks you have but we can't guarantee it since each of these are unique.

Xp-Iso-Builder...

This is a utility that can help create an unattended install Windows CD along with many other features. It can slipstream a Service Pak, convert certain Recover Discs into a XP install CD, customize the install with third party visual styles or use a special theme, as well as other setup customizations. It also allows you to integrate drivers, updates and programs.

I've tested some of the basic features and they do work well... but I can't say how all of them will work. The website is in German but the program also supports English.

http://winfuture.de/xpisobuilder3_en

If you are able to successfully create a normal Windows installation CD with that util. You can then create a UBCD4Win bootable CD as instructed on the main website ( see the How To Build pages ).

Once you have booted into UBCD4Win the first step you need to take is similar to what I suggested at first but this time you must edit the registry of your system so it doesn't reboot on a system error/crash.

Using the Remote Regedit change the following registry setting...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl In the right pane, "AutoReboot" set the Value to 1. ( To disable set the value back to 0 but for now leave it at 1. )

Now... reboot the system and remove the UBCD4Win disk ... again, write down the BSOD screen error so you will be able to find out what direction is possibly needed.
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   spsvf1 Icon

• Pip

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:56 PM

Hello,

Thank you for your help. I tried the first method, and was able to access the Windows Advanced Options Menu by pressing F8. After choosing "Disable Restart on System Failure" I am returned back to the original black screen stating "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully..." Is there any other way to view the BSOD/verify the error code?

Next, I then proceeded to use my Dell desktop that was working to download the Iso Builder program. Once I ran the program I was brought to the first screen titled Windows Source Disc, which was labeled Step 1 of 11. I attempted to convert my Toshiba Recovery Disc using the "Convert Recovery Disc" button, but my CD/DVD drive (Dell) did not recognize the Toshiba disc. I placed another call to Toshiba customer care, and the rep indicated to me that the recovery discs may or may not work in a different computer. Because I needed to copy the Recovery Disc to my hard drive to begin the conversion process, I was unable to go any further with the program.

#4 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
        • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

Hi SPSVF1

Do You have a Dell XP Recovery CD for your Dell desktop ?
          If so read the FAQ about DEll Fix (if XP CD is SP2 or SP3 not required if XP SP1)
          And use that CD to build ubcd4win

regards
          Mike Barnes

#5 User is offline   spsvf1 Icon

• Pip

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:24 AM

Mike Barnes,

Many thanks for the suggestion. I was able to use the Dell CD to build the UBCD4Win successfully.

rdsok,

Sorry to trouble you again, I am now able to boot the UBCD4Win. When I try to reset the registry setting I am unable to find Crash Control. (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl) After clicking the + on Control I did not see any option for Crash Control. I also attempted to modify the registry setting through Start Button, Control Panel, Performance & Maintenance, System, Advanced, but I received a message stating that I did not have administrator privileges. Perhaps I missed something or left something out?

#6 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

I'm sorry about that... I keep forgetting to tell users that the HKLM\....\CurrentControlSet is not a real registry area but it is mapped to one of the user area's... in short it was an oversite that I forgot to correct and explain when I was copy/pasting the location for you.

Each user on the system has their own registry area's... for this area, these are HKLM\...\ControlSet001, ...\ControlSet002, ...\ControlSet003 etc. Depending on which user is logging on, their ControlSetXXX will be mapped to the CurrentControlSet

So make the changes I mentioned but do it in each of the ...\ControlSetXXX locations you find
              Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#7 User is offline   spsvf1 Icon

• Pip

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

Hi rdsok,

Thank you for your note, I did find one entry in my Toshiba's Registry named ControlSet001. I'm afraid I still cannot find Crash Control.(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\)I looked everywhere, and do not see Crash Control listed. The only options within Control that begin with the letter C are: Class, CoDeviceInstallers, COM Name Arbiter, ComputerName, and CriticalDeviceDatabase.

Do you know if there are any other places I can look for Crash Control? Maybe I'm missing something else? I have been searching far and wide for Crash Control. Thinking that my eyes were failing me I checked my Dell desktop, where I located Crash Control in the Registry between ContextIndexCommon and CriticalDeviceDatabase. Thanks again!

#8 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

There are no other places for it... Are you certain you used the Remote Regedit and selected your user account... that is the only other suggestion I can think of to mention.

#9 User is offline   spsvf1 Icon

• Pip

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:49 PM

Greetings rdsok,

My apologies, I made a silly mistake. Yesterday I accessed Regedit by going to Start/Run/Regedit. After I reexamined your earlier post I noticed that I needed to select Remote Regedit from the main screen of UBCD4Win. As soon as I clicked on Remote Regedit I was able to find Crash Control for two accounts, ControlSet001 and ControlSet003. Both already had Autoreboot values set to “1”.

I can’t seem to find the log-in area to select my user account. When I normally started the computer I would click the account I wanted before inputting the password. I checked the User Profiles under Start/Control Panel/System Properties/Advanced/User Profiles- Settings and found it blank. I have 2 profiles, 1 with administrative privileges, while the other is a limited account. Is there a way to confirm which account is being used?

#10 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:10 AM

Simple... change all of the ControlSetXXX's ... its quick and no guessing. It's also the setting I recommend to begin with.

#11 User is offline   spsvf1 Icon

• Pip

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:04 AM

OK, have my user acct selected, is restart/eject the same as rebooting and taking the disc out?

#12 User is offline   spsvf1 Icon

• Pip

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

rdsok,

I finally got the BSOD to appear. Here is the message that was displayed on the screen:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Start up options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
                          ***STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XB6CE1B7A, 0XF78CCAC0, 0X00000000)

#13 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

Boot from the UBCD4Win disk... select the MEMTEST86 memory test to ensure your memory is ok or not... let it complete at least one complete loop of all tests. Newer systems may require a different memory test program... if yours is one of those you can get an alternate version called MEMTEST86+ available for free at http://www.memtest.org

The error, if not caused by a memory fault, has many other causes including malware related issues the toughest being rootkits... So test with the antivirus and antispyware utils that are included. Be certain to keep a good log of everything found including which files etc in case you have to replace a critical system file. TIP... clear the ram drive after each test ( one reason why you need good notes ) since the ram drive will fill up quickly from just one set of tests.

If you don't find any malware on the drive... perform an internet search on STOP: 0X0000008E ... and also the full stop code that you provided above for other directions to look into.

#14 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                              • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

Just for the sake of being complete...

Each user on the system has their own registry area's... for this area, these are HKLM\...\ControlSet001, ...\ControlSet002, ...\ControlSet003 etc. Depending on which user is logging on, their ControlSetXXX will be mapped to the CurrentControlSet

So make the changes I mentioned but do it in each of the ...\ControlSetXXX locations you find

All users use the same ControlSet. Look at "HKLM\System_ON_C\Select" to see which one is the Current one. If you choose "Last known good configuration" from the F8 boot menu, the one listed under "LastKnownGood" will become Current and Current will be listed under "Failed".

It's not a bad idea to just edit all of them though when doing things like "AutoReboot=0" so you won't be back at square one if you ever have to use "Last known good...".
                              If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#15 User is offline   spsvf1 Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

View Postrdsok, on 03 August 2009 - 04:57 PM, said:

Boot from the UBCD4Win disk... select the MEMTEST86 memory test to ensure your memory is ok or not... let it complete at least one complete loop of all tests. Newer systems may require a different memory test program... if yours is one of those you can get an alternate version called MEMTEST86+ available for free at http://www.memtest.org

The error, if not caused by a memory fault, has many other causes including malware related issues the toughest being rootkits... So test with the antivirus and antispyware utils that are included. Be certain to keep a good log of everything found including which files etc in case you have to replace a critical system file. TIP... clear the ram drive after each test ( one reason why you need good notes ) since the ram drive will fill up quickly from just one set of tests.

If you don't find any malware on the drive... perform an internet search on STOP: 0X0000008E ... and also the full stop code that you provided above for other directions to look into.

Sorry for the delays in responding, have been a bit under the weather lately. I ran the memory test for at least 4 hours, with 0 errors.

I then ran Avira AntiVir Personal, with 0 detections. I also used avast! Virus Cleaner Tool, finding no virus bodies. Next, I ran McAfee Stinger, which showed no viruses.

I moved on to spyware, first using A Squared Free. This found 2 objects (cookies), which I was unable to delete. The listing is as follows:

Diagnosis
                                Trace.Directory.SpyWare.MateWatcher!A2
                                Trace: c:\workssetup
                                Trace.File.Bancos!A2
                                Trace: c:\d\i386\system32\network.exe

I tried deleting both but was unable to do so, receiving a “unable to delete selected objects” message.

Spybot found 4 problems:

Problem Microsoft.Windows.System
                                (SBI$51373AEE) Settings
                                HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\NoD… Registry Change
                                (SBI$51373AEE) Settings
                                HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ Registry Change
                                (SBI $7FESD337) Desktop link
                                C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Click here for broadband link
                                (SBI $7FE5D337) Desktop link Dialer
                                C:\Documents and Settings\CS\Desktop\Click here for broadband link Dialer

^S is my admin acct and CS is my limited user acct

I was able to remove all 4 entries.

When I tried running Super Anti Spyware I received the BSOD, with the following error message:

*** STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XB6CE1B7A, 0XF77DCAC0, 0X00000000)
                                *** SASKUTIL.sys – Address B6CE1B7A base at B6CD8000, Datestamp 48163ef6

A google search of 0X0000008E turned up a number of things. I found an instance where a user was experiencing this error after attempting to install Service Pack 3. My laptop was set to allow Automatic Updates. Is there a way to check to see if Service Pack 3 has been downloaded on my computer? Right before my computer started re-booting continuously an update had been downloaded but I did not know what it was.

Other potential causes of the 0X0000008E error were hardware-related. My laptop is completely stock, I have never modified it or added additional memory. I have also never connected a printer, scanner, webcam, or mouse to it. I saw a suggestion to use the driver verifier command: verifier.exe click [OK] to determine if there are any malfunctioning devices or conflicting devices in Device Manager. To check driver compatibility run pstat.exe click [OK] and dmpchck.exe click [OK] Would I be okay in running these 3 commands?

In another instance where someone was receiving the 0X0000008E error message he was advised to do a BIOS update. Would this be necessary for me, I’m not for certain if my problem is due to a hardware issue.

I tried to do an internet search for the full stop code, nothing came up except for 0X00000000. This code may be related to memory issues, in particular the registry. Since I haven’t ever added any hardware to it, I thought of the USB memory stick that I typically use with my laptop, it’s a SanDisk Micro 2GB. But I didn’t think this would be a problem, as I have used this memory stick on several other computers fine, without updating any drivers.

Many thanks for all of your advice and patience.

Page 1 of 1
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users