• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Building With Dell Cd multiple errors

#1 User is offline   cesmart4125 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

I followed the "... steps are necessary when building with a Dell CD?" Then I clicked Build on the main screen for UBCD4Win PE Builder and got the following errors:

UBCD4Win PE Builder 3.1.10a
    Copyright © 2004-2006 Benjamin Burrows.
    Running OS Version: 5.1.2600 (Service Pack 3)
    Source product is: Windows XP Professional
    CD-Rom name is: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD
    Microsoft Product Code: 76487
    Product channel ID is: OEM
    Warning: building from an OEM version of Windows can mean trouble...
    Source build: 2600
    Build process started
    Removing directory: C:\UBCD4Win\BartPE
    Error: DeleteFile() "C:\UBCD4Win\BartPE\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\petmphive" failed
    Error: DeleteFile() "C:\UBCD4Win\BartPE\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\petmphive.LOG" failed
    Error: RemoveDirectory() "C:\UBCD4Win\BartPE\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG" failed
    Error: DeleteFile() "C:\UBCD4Win\BartPE\I386\SYSTEM32\SETUPHIV" failed
    Error: DeleteFile() "C:\UBCD4Win\BartPE\I386\SYSTEM32\setuphiv.LOG" failed
    Error: RemoveDirectory() "C:\UBCD4Win\BartPE\I386\SYSTEM32" failed
    Error: RemoveDirectory() "C:\UBCD4Win\BartPE\I386" failed
    Directory removed: C:\UBCD4Win\BartPE
    Building registry
    Copying file "C:\Program Files\DELLXPCD\XP_PRO_SP3 (D)\I386\setupreg.hiv" to "C:\UBCD4WIN\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\SETUPHIV"
    Error: CopyFile() "C:\Program Files\DELLXPCD\XP_PRO_SP3 (D)\I386\setupreg.hiv" to "C:\UBCD4WIN\BARTPE\I386\SYSTEM32\SETUPHIV" returned error 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    Building done...
    There where 8 errors and 1 warnings
    Use the [<<] and [>>] buttons to jump to Error/Warning.

What's the workaround or solution for these errors? Thanks.

#2 User is offline   cesmart4125 Icon

• Pip

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:44 PM

I'm using my Dell reinstallation CD for Windows XP Pro SP3. I've attempted to do this several times and had a computer guru walk me through the steps; nevertheless, I keep getting these errors.

The path I used to the Windows installation files was "C:\Program Files\DELLXPCD\XP_PRO_SP3 (D)"

#3 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Admin

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:16 PM

Are you building on a Vista system?
        Also the location for the source files is not good, NO SPACES.....like it says in the instructions.
        Move that folder to C:\, for example "C:\dellxpcd".
        "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#4 User is offline   thomasjk Icon

• Advanced Member
        • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:16 PM

View Postcesmart4125, on 19 August 2009 - 10:44 PM, said:

I'm using my Dell reinstallation CD for Windows XP Pro SP3. I've attempted to do this several times and had a computer guru walk me through the steps; nevertheless, I keep getting these errors.

The path I used to the Windows installation files was "C:\Program Files\DELLXPCD\XP_PRO_SP3 (D)"

You can't have spaces in the path "C:\Program Files\DELLXPCD\XP_PRO_SP3 (D)". Use a different path with no spaces.
          Tom K.

#5 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

Hello ,
            use Bart Instruction to make an XP bootable CD
            then use that as base to make UBCD4Win
            http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#wxp

Ben

#6 User is offline   cesmart4125 Icon

• Pip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

View Postthomasjk, on 19 August 2009 - 10:16 PM, said:

You can't have spaces in the path "C:\Program Files\DELLXPCD\XP_PRO_SP3 (D)". Use a different path with no spaces.

#7 User is offline   cesmart4125 Icon

• Pip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

View Postben_mott, on 20 August 2009 - 03:57 PM, said:

Hello ,
                use Bart Instruction to make an XP bootable CD
                then use that as base to make UBCD4Win
                http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#wxp

Ben

#8 User is offline   cesmart4125 Icon

• Pip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

View Postthomasjk, on 19 August 2009 - 10:16 PM, said:

#9 User is offline   cesmart4125 Icon

• Pip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Copying my Dell CD to two different files was confusing to me. I now have the copy of my Dell XP CD in C:\DELLXPCD\XP_PRO_SP3(D).

I ran the Builder earlier today, but continued to get errors.

My next step will be to follow the Bart instructions to make a bootable CD. Am I correct to assume I should copy the Bart CD to my C:\ drive instead of copying the Dell XP CD?

#10 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:43 PM

@cesmart4125,
                      I am not an expert in UBCD4WIN but I have build many Bootable WBCD4WIN
                      I have content of my XP installation Cd on C:\XP folder
                      the other thing is that If I delete the Bartpe folder in C:\UBCD4WIN
                      the builder makes another and then there is no more read error.

that guy Bart is a very clever Man and his version of Bart PE is very simple and Basic
                      compered to UBCD4win which is more sophisticated and also got WIFI support.

Regards Ben

#11 User is offline   ForestTrek Icon

• Pip

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:39 PM

cesmart4125:

I have just had the exact same problem using a Dell computer along with Dell's XP SP3 re-installation CD disk. This trick eliminated the hiv registry-related errors for me (at least so far...):

Copy the \I386 directory originally delivered on your computer's OS partition (usually this is just C:\I386) onto the \I386 directory on your hard disk where you have copied the entire Dell XP SP3 CD. Be sure to overwrite ALL of the existing \I386 subdirectory files in the hard-disk copy of the Dell XP SP3 CD. The PEbuilder worked for me as soon as I stopped using the \I386 files copied from the Dell XP SP3 CD.

I'm no expert, but I believe that the Windows XP key stored on your working system differs from the one associated with your reinstall CD and also printed on the Win XP certification label on the outside of the PC case. This is because OEMs use the same install code over and over for multiple mother-boards/systems and then just give customers a separate reinstall disk and key for field reinstalls only. The case-label key will work for reinstalling from the provided CD, but is not compatible with the existing installed key associated with the shipped system's operating system. I'm GUESSING :blush:that the \I386 directory somehow knows the key, and when we try to use the Dell XP SP3 operating system install disk, the computer finds a key mismatch and becomes unhappy about the attempted registry changes (access denied... :wacko:).

The many real experts here can correct me or shoot down my explanatory guesswork above (no problem!), but the copying of the system-installed \I386 files instead of the Dell-CD \I386 files got me past the initial build errors on my Dell computer.

Hopefully I can now get the rest of the build, burn, and boot process to work...

Sharing the OEM pain, Steve

#12 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:21 PM

The issue has nothing to do with the installation license key you use. The issue is caused by the method that Dell ( and some others ) applied the changes to the registry hives that result in other users not having the proper permissions to access the key in question. In short, its a permission denied issue.
                          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#13 User is offline   ForestTrek Icon

• Pip

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

View Postrdsok, on 22 August 2009 - 07:21 PM, said:

The issue has nothing to do with the installation license key you use. The issue is caused by the method that Dell ( and some others ) applied the changes to the registry hives that result in other users not having the proper permissions to access the key in question. In short, its a permission denied issue.

Thanks, I expected (even hoped) to be corrected. But, can you explain just a bit more. Why does the denial issue disappear when I replace all the Dell XP SP3 CD's \I386 directory files (that I copied to the OS System hard-disk in a seperate folder along with all the other Dell XP SP3 CD files) with the \I386 directory files first shipped on the computer's C:\ drive?

This is a completely reproducible effect -- if I put the Dell XP SP3 CD's \I386 folder back with the rest of the CD files copied to the hard disk and use that to build, then the BartPE builder will again start failing with the same access denied issue for the registry hive.

Does the \I386 directory somehow carry the proper permission with it when I make the copy? If so, in what form or file?

Thanks for any further enlightenment, Steve

#14 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:21 PM

Read the FAQ concerning building with Dell source files.... it only applies to the sources that they made the changes I mentioned to and not all of them.
                              Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#15 User is offline   ForestTrek Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:35 AM

View Postrdsok, on 22 August 2009 - 09:21 PM, said:

Read the FAQ concerning building with Dell source files.... it only applies to the sources that they made the changes I mentioned to and not all of them.

Apologies here, rdsok, because I had read all the BartPE FAQs but not yet the UBCD4Win FAQs, which would have made things a bit easier...

So, if I understand your FAQ on the Dell setupreg.hiv file problem, then I've just accidently fixed the broken version by copying a good version (from the working installation C:\I386) over a bad version (that I had copied from the Dell XP SP3 reinstall CD) -- or perhaps, something at least a bit like this explanation?

Thanks again, Steve

PS, using my stumbled-on/lucky copying method to repair the hives, I did end up with a good build, a good burn, and a good UBCD4Win boot disk that allowed me to restore a saved hard disk image to another drive -- all thanks to the nice work you guys and BartPE are doing. Nice.

• (2 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users