UBCD4Win Forums: Trouble Building The Ubcd4Win Cd - UBCD4Win Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trouble Building The Ubcd4Win Cd AntiVir & Kaspersky not working!

#1 User is offline   cap2587 Icon

• PipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

I am building my UBCD4WIN CD and having some trouble. Each time I build it always has one/two programs that don't work. AntiVir just isn't working and I don't know what's wrong. There is no error messages with my build. I am configuring the programs prior to building. Any Suggestions? Thanks

#2 User is online   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

What you are descibing sounds like the system you are using it on doesn't have much memory and the ram drive that is needed to run the antivirus/antispyware utils runs out of space.

If you have previously run other utils... clear the ram drive before you try running others.
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   cap2587 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I went to OU on a tennis scholarship (1996-1999). I tried to clear out the RAM drive, but that didn't work. When I press on the AntiVir icon down the bottom nothing happens. It sounds like it is going to load, but doesn't. Some other Anti-Virus programs don't work as well and give me an error message when I try to use them. Help.

#4 User is online   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:24 PM

Make certain the ram drive size is large enough for the files... probably 45-50 Mb at the very least but this changes each time they update the virus definitions.
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#5 User is offline   cap2587 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

The RAM Drive is 100MB. Do you really need to configure the anti-virus programs? If you update the program via the internet before using it doesn't that do the same thing? Any other ideas why some of the programs aren't working? Thanks

#6 User is online   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

View Postcap2587, on 23 August 2009 - 08:40 AM, said:

The RAM Drive is 100MB. Do you really need to configure the anti-virus programs? If you update the program via the internet before using it doesn't that do the same thing? Any other ideas why some of the programs aren't working? Thanks

Try running the utility without updating first... an update will likely, in many cases, double the required space needed since you will then have not only the program but also all of the updates as well.

If I'm correct and it does run... then Configing the util to update it before you build and make the disk is the answer.

#7 User is offline   cap2587 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:38 PM

View Postrdsok, on 23 August 2009 - 02:50 PM, said:

View Postcap2587, on 23 August 2009 - 08:40 AM, said:

Try running the utility without updating first... an update will likely, in many cases, double the required space needed since you will then have not only the program but also all of the updates as well.

If I'm correct and it does run... then Configing the util to update it before you build and make the disk is the answer.

I tried your advice, but had no luck. For some reason Anti-Vir just won't start up. You hard the disk making noise like it is loading, but nothing comes up. What could be wrong as all the other programs seem to be fine. Help

#8 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:01 PM

How much ram is in the computer you're booting? Does your cd work in other computers?
                  If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#9 User is offline   cap2587 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:47 PM

There is 2GB of RAM in the computer I am trying to boot. Anti-Vir just doesn't work, despite making the loading noise. The CD does work in other computer's, but not the Anti-Vir program. Advice appreciated

#10 User is online   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:45 PM

Since its working for almost everyone else... the Windows source files, your build itself or the computer you are building on is in question.

Make certain that the Windows source files you use are not altered... at most you can slipstream a service pack but nothing else... no updates or drivers. Definately never use nLite or any similar util.

#11 User is offline   cap2587 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:20 PM

I haven't slipstreamed on my build yet. I have used a copy of XP Pro SP2 & SP3. I guess I will try the build on another computer, this will be the 3rd. It's frustrating as I really want the CD with all the new programs on it. One more Question: When I do a scan with SAS do I have to restart the computer once the infections are removed or not. Thanks

#12 User is online   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

View Postcap2587, on 26 August 2009 - 03:20 PM, said:

One more Question: When I do a scan with SAS do I have to restart the computer once the infections are removed or not. Thanks

Make your question more generic and now lets talk about any antivirus/antispwyare util... because this applies to all of them.

All of these utils are made to run within Windows and not a PE enviroment such as UBCD4Win... In Windows most of these utils expect to need to have Windows reboot in order to remove any malware that is running in memory or to make changes to the registry so the malware will not have a chance to revert those changes.

When run from a PE enviroment that ( the reboot ) is not required because the malware is not in memory and can not revert any changes but that doesn't mean the utils will know or understand that. It is very possible that they may think its required so setup the item in question to be removed on the next boot ( from Windows, not from UBCD4Win ).

So it should never need to happen but because a util may not understand it... it may set it up that way on certain malware issues. Personally, if this were ever to happen to me ( it hasn't yet ), I'd simply perform the deletion by hand since it takes no technical skill to delete a file or registry setting

#13 User is offline   cap2587 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

I just cannot build a UBCD4WIN CD that has Anti-Vir working. I have tried it on numerous computer's and used a couple of different versions of XP. This is frustrating me? Ideas please?

#14 User is offline   cap2587 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

I am trying to build my UBCD4WIN CD, but having some trouble. When I click on AntiVir after the CD has loaded nothing comes up. Also when I go to configure Kaspersky it just gives me some error. This is frustrating as I mainly want to use the CD for Virus removal and these are two great plugins I want to use. I have used a couple different copies of XP and a few different PC's to perform the build. Is anyone else having the same trouble? Appreciate the help.

#15 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:14 PM

Please only start one topic for each problem you are having.

The normal reason someone cannot run an antivirus program is not enough free space in the ramdrive.
                                How much memory does the machine have that you are trying to boot?

The Kaspersky plugin I wrote has good error handling and good error reasons... no one here is going to guess what "Some Error" might mean.

Add more details if you expect helpful answers.
                                Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

• (2 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users