UBCD4Win Forums: Mcafee Detection And Another Question - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mcafee Detection And Another Question Description of two McAfee Alerts and other questons.

#1 User is offline   UltraBoot Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

Hello,
    This is my first post here and I found out about your utility through the show "Systm" on Revision3.com. I'm new to the whole boot/recovery CD thing and don't have a full grasp of it yet. I did build one and tested it to see if it ran and it did. I just don't know much of what to do after that. I do want to know if after I have made the boot disc, do I have to keep the UBCD4windows installed for the boot disc to work off of? I'm assuming yes. The reason I ask it that my McAfee keeps identifying two files in it as "Potentially Unwanted Program". I just want to double check that they are fine and have not now become something that is known as malware that wasn't know as that before. I've been spending weeks recovering from a disaster and am very paranoid. I did read about the false positive stuff but, I just want a direct consolation from someeone on these files for my paranoid butt.

The two files detected are:
    C:\UBCD4Win\plugin\Cleanup Tools\ComboFix\ComboFix.exe...............detection name:RemAdm-ProcLaunch!171

C:UBCD4Win\plugin\Cleanup Tools\SDFix\SDFix.exe......................detection name: PrcViewer

Also, is there not a way I can have it installed in my Program Files folder instead of outside of it? I like to keep that area as clean as possible of clutter so I can recognize anything new put in there that shouldn't be there right away. That's if I have to keep it installed. Last question is I've already made the boot disc, then uninstalled, then re-installed the program. That shouldn't affect the disc from working correctly right? Forgive my ignorance but, as I've said, this boot/recovery stuff is all new for me and am finally delving into this area.

Thanks in advance. I have an eye infection and it's a little hard to read so I can't delve in here to much more to see if these were already answered.

This post has been edited by UltraBoot: 17 September 2009 - 10:27 AM

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

Exclude the UBCD4Win folder from McAfee since they are saying those are PUP's see http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#false

We completely disagree with McAfee on their detection of those items. In fact, ComboFix is actually used to cleanup infections and PrcViewer is just a process util similar to Windows own Task Manager... they are really silly detections IMO.

You do not have to keep UBCD4Win installed on your system in order to use the disk you made but you may want to so you can update and rebuild it later. The project includes several antispyware and antivirus programs and new detections come out daily for these.

UBCD4Win and your Windows source files that you use to create the build with can not be placed in a location where there are spaces in the path such as your "Program Files" folder etc.
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   UltraBoot Icon

• Pip

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

I like your avatar. :)
        I figured as much. The big names seem to want to tell everything is bad now days or confuse you into deleting stuff or not using them in the first place out of fear. I started with McAfee then went to Norton and am now back with McAfee because it's free with At&t and has firewall, etc. So I have not gotten to try out the free ones yet such as AVG, Avir, etc. or paid ones like Kaspersky. I hear good things about Kaspersky, though.

I don't know what a PUP is, really except that it's some sort of catorgory for something.lol.

I tried to run a scan with Avir while testing out the boot cd and it was detecting all kinds of stuff but it would not do the whole run. After a few minutes it would shut down and say that it didn't have enough RAM space for a log or something to that effect? It barely got started.

I do have some questions on what all these programs are and how to use them and how to add your own programs etc. But I will have to come back and put that in the correct thread when I've got the time and my eyes are better. Just let me know the best thread to go to for that, please.

#4 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

PUP aka "Potentially Unwanted Program" as mentioned by your McAfee. Other names you will hear them called are listed in the FAQ I linked you to read.

UBCD4Win is just a collection of other utils/programs to use on a rescue/repair disk. We didn't create most of the utils/programs ( there are a couple of exceptions ) so the best source to learn about them from is from the original authors website, help files etc. Even trying to provide basic info on all of them, beyond what category they fit into, is nearly impossible and would take up volumes...

How to create a plugin... another very large subject but the place to begin can be found in the help folder you will find in the project folder itself. After that, look at the included plugins for additional examples of just some of what the help mentioned.
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#5 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Ultra Member
          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

View PostUltraBoot, on 17 September 2009 - 09:56 PM, said:

Watch out rdsok, I think UltraBoot is hitting on you :wub:
            and by the looks of UltraBoot's interests you have at least software and photography in common :lol:

This post has been edited by bengt: 17 September 2009 - 04:18 PM

#6 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

View Postbengt, on 17 September 2009 - 04:15 PM, said:

and by the looks of UltraBoot's interests you have at least software and photography in common :lol:

And that is a bad thing?? :lol:

Much better her than you... :ph34r:

UltraBoot...

I can't take much credit for the avatar with the exception of cropping it and cleaning up the pic some... I didn't create it, just stole it for use as an avatar more years ago that I can recall now. Thanks for the complement, I almost missed it had it not been for bengt pointing it out again...

#7 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Ultra Member
              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:33 PM

View Postrdsok, on 17 September 2009 - 11:28 PM, said:

UltraBoot...

I can't take much credit for the avatar with the exception of cropping it and cleaning up the pic some... I didn't create it, just stole it for use as an avatar more years ago that I can recall now. Thanks for the complement, I almost missed it had it not been for bengt pointing it out again...

You smooth talker you B)I'll leave you two alone now :rolleyes:

#8 User is offline   UltraBoot Icon

• Pip

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

View Postbengt, on 17 September 2009 - 03:15 PM, said:

View PostUltraBoot, on 17 September 2009 - 09:56 PM, said:

Since when does saying you like someone's avatar consist of hitting someone? I was being friendly and I thought the advtar was whimsical and funny. I just came here for help and answers in which I thought was an adult forum but wind up feeling like I am in a schoolyard with some teenage kid making up some bullcrap that is totally off base and wrong. Very insulting. Very.

This post has been edited by UltraBoot: 18 September 2009 - 09:22 AM

Page 1 of 1
                  • You cannot start a new topic
                  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                  0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users