• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fiber Network Help

#1 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

I haven't found the time to research this yet and just thought that I should utilize one of my good resources......our forum.

Basically I have a customer that has a Fiber line and is looking for an upgrade, new setup, or better setup. Hopefully I have all the information: we need a 4 port Fiber router, 4 Fiber to copper hubs, and the cabling.

Do any of you have suggestions, comments, concerns, and/or other thoughts on this setup?
    "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#2 User is offline   masterchi Icon

• PipPipPip
      • Group: Members

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

Well just on quick knowledge (which i'm sure you already know) i would say stay away from hub and convince them to go to switch's.....less collisions and with fiber speeds it just doesn't make sense to limit it to a hub. On that note also use Multimode cabling for shorter runs (local LANs) and singlemode for long distance runs (building to building). On the copper end some would say CAT5e but considering the minor cost difference i'd say CAT6(true gigabit speeds). I bought CAT6 for my local LAN in my house and love it, only cost me $7 for a 75 footer at newegg.....it was a rosewill brand which i think is neweggs home brand but still a good price considering it was already plugged and ready to use.

This post has been edited by masterchi: 18 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

#3 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:04 AM

I was going by my rough notes that I took while I was on the phone with him. He is old school so he uses a lot of strange terms and I try to correct him all the time. Good example would be PCI-X. He and my boss always calls PCI Express with the name of PCIX. The proper term is PCI-e. I always just say "OK so you need a 64bit PCI card?" I did once go into the deep discussion of PCI-X being mostly a server interface to push more bandwidth and a little extra speed on the PCI bus. PCI-e is our newer interface for all motherboards with interfaces ranging from 1x, 4x, 8x, and 16x.
        I would go with switches.

This is supposed to be a big project for their building and the purpose is to push video. The network is supposed to move to Gigabit. I do not know if he plans to push new copper, to which I would recommend and buy Cat-6. Right now we are focused on being able to run the up to 275 feet of Fiber to the switches. So for "phase 1" we are currently focused on finding the right router, 4 switches, and cabling. For the next phase we will figure out NIC's and other hardware we may need for the job. It's supposed to be a big job so I hope to win it and gain new experience with this type of setup.

#4 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

• PipPip

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

Steel,

Please keep us informed about how this works out for you. It could be a useful tutorial. I know I would enjoy the details.

I work for a large company, and I doubt that fiber optics play any role in the network. I am curious about this, and I need to find out. I think we are lucky to have copper wire. :)

#5 User is offline   Jotnar Icon

• Ultimate Member
          • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

Pushing video on non-gigabit? ouch! You definitely want to stay away from hubs. A single collision domain = no joy for users of that network. All it takes is one person to kill most of the bandwidth with collisions out the wazoo. A decent four port fiber router might be a little hard to find though, I don't think I've seen one below 12 ports. Do yourself a favor and get a decent router and switches (Cisco or Foundry (Brocade now?)) funds permitting. They're more expensive but much easier to manage than a semi-dumb router/switches that will just blink a nice amber light at you when there's a problem. Also know what connections you require (LC/SC...etc) when you're shopping.

Unless they've got bad signal bleed/interference or have some kind of security requirement, fiber is way expensive for a one building network. Usually (this a general star network) you have edge switches connected with (redundant if you've got the cash and availability matters) fiber uplinks back to the core and copper from the edge switches to the cubeland. Good luck!

#6 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:26 PM

Man I just hope I find enough time to research all of this!!
              Today was just crazy at work. I think I need to start being mean? Everyone wanted to talk to me today!!!!

Page 1 of 1
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users