Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hitachi Hard Disk (Laptop) Recovery Issue

#1 User is offline   bingo Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:42 PM

I have a IBM T42 Windows xp using the Hitachi 60G HD, Recently HD was crashed and can not boot with the error "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart", i have tried several ways but still no luck ...

Method 1: start the xp with xp installation CD, try to delete the drive C and reintall the xp but failed, drive c is not allowed to delete.

Method 2: remove the hard disk from laptop and move it to a mobile hard disk and then connect via USB to the other PC, but PC can not recognize the USB mobile hard disk. For normal mobile HD, PC can detect it quickly.

Method 3: Using UBCD4Win TestDisk Tool, after analyze, it can detect the HD and list all the logic drives, then i use "p" (list files/directories) to try to see the files inside, Fortunately, i can see files in drive D and E successfully, but for drive C (xp boot drive), it shows the error "Filesystem seems damaged". So i believe that my Drive D and E should be fine while drive C should have been damaged. I want to copy the data in D and E to external Hard disk but really don't know how to do it, I appreciate very much if someone can give some clues on this to me.

by the way, for damaged drive C, someone suggest it might be the boot sector issue, NTFS has a boot sector and a backup boot sector, if it is different, it might be the boot sector has problem and can be recovered by re-build BS, i follow the instruction to check it, but what i saw is that the BS and backup BS are the same, i also tried the "Dump" function and can even see the content inside, so i think the BS in drive C should be fine, it should be some other system BS be damaged.

As well, i also read others' topic and it seems that data can be copied directly from the UBCD4Win, i tried but failed. I really can see my drives directly from the UBCD4win but the drives i saw has a "Unknown" Label and has only the size of 1M, which definitely is incorrect.

I appreciate very much if someone can give me some suggestions.

#2 User is offline   Lord Necron Icon

• PipPip
      • Group: Members

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

View Postbingo, on 21 September 2009 - 08:42 PM, said:

"Filesystem seems damaged"

Have you tried chkdsk /r by chance?
      Posted Image
      Posted Image
      Posted Image

#3 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Admin

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

Look closer at the size... I suspect it was actually listed as -1M instead... if so this indicates the partition/mbr is corrupted. Try running TestDisk to help rebuild the partition table. You can also use WD Diag's to test the drive with and in some cases it can help recover the partition/data.

If you get the partition back... reboot and then run the CHKDSK on it to check for other errors.

If you do get the drive to show up again... play it safe and backup the drive.
        Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#4 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:39 PM

If Testdisk can see your files on drive D and E then use it to copy them to your external drive before doing anything else. You can find documentation on Testdisk HERE.

After backing everything up with Testdisk, I would run HDTune to check the physical condidion of the drive and check for bad blocks.

You can use Photorec to try and recover files from your C drive but it doesn't sound like there's anything on it that you need since you've already tried deleting it. Photorec is an excellent recovery utility but it doesn't preserve the directory structure the way Testdisk does, instead it looks for files with specific file extensions (*.doc, *.mp3, *.jpg, etc...) and saves them all in the same directory.

After you get everything you need backed up and verify that the drive's in good physical condidtion with no bad blocks, you can use Dariks Boot and Nuke (DBAN) from the initial UBCD4Win boot menu to wipe your drive so you can do a clean install.

I would replace the drive if any of the diagnostic utilities such as HDTune show any sign of trouble.
          If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

Page 1 of 1
          • You cannot start a new topic
          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users