Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where Do I Begin?

#1 User is offline   trancer646 Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

I'm working on a toshiba satellite. When I try to boot from c: drive it goes to the windows screen and then shuts down. When I try to boot from UBCD4Win, I can make it to the start menu. Which program should I run first?

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:35 PM

Well.. you do not start by just describing the symptoms as you did... that is for certain. You start with how this started... what happened to the system before the problem showed up etc.
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:04 AM

I have the same exact problem. My windows blows chunks when I try to boot it, what gives?
        If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#4 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:47 AM

View Postpcuser, on 23 September 2009 - 12:04 AM, said:

I have the same exact problem. My windows blows chunks when I try to boot it, what gives?

This one is actually easy... bad/cheap beer causes this every time. :lol:
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#5 User is offline   trancer646 Icon

• Pip

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:05 PM

The problem to begin with was that the computer would not stay on. There wasn't any warning (at least none that I noticed). I went to turn it on and it would make it to the windows screen and then shut off by it self. That's all it's been doing ever since (about a month now). I can load the ubcd from the cd, it runs extremely slow but it runs. If you need more information to help me you'll have to be more specific but I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

#6 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

When booting a PE enviroment such as UBCD4Win you will not see the performance that you see in Windows itself.. PE's do not boot into enhanced mode and booting from a CD or DVD is many many times slower than a hard drive. Also RW disk are much slower than just an R type of disk. Other things also figure into the speed such as which CPU or how much ram memory the system has.

So unless you had previously booted the system from UBCD4Win when nothing was wrong... you don't have a way to know if the speed issue you mentioned is normal for the system or not.

The info you have given is still too limited to guess which direction to suggest. The problem can be caused by corrupted system files, hardware issues or virus infections ( and many many other causes )... So anything we say has a limited chance of being the right direction... but here is some stuff...

The first doesn't require any tests... Check the the fans are working properly. Clean them all out with compressed air.

To check the for file/disk errors...
              Run HDTune to check for errors on the hard drive. If any are found... run the CHKDSK ( Check Disk ) and have it check/fix errors. If running the CHKDSK from the menu, select option 3 when prompted. If you are running manually from a command prompt use CHKDSK /R

Running the included antispyware/antivirus programs can help tell you if its malware related. Please note you will need to have at the least a 60Mb ram drive size in order to run them and you must empty the ram drive after each one you use in order that you have room for the next util you use.

#7 User is offline   trancer646 Icon

• Pip

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

View Postrdsok, on 25 September 2009 - 06:49 PM, said:

When booting a PE enviroment such as UBCD4Win you will not see the performance that you see in Windows itself.. PE's do not boot into enhanced mode and booting from a CD or DVD is many many times slower than a hard drive. Also RW disk are much slower than just an R type of disk. Other things also figure into the speed such as which CPU or how much ram memory the system has.

So unless you had previously booted the system from UBCD4Win when nothing was wrong... you don't have a way to know if the speed issue you mentioned is normal for the system or not.

The info you have given is still too limited to guess which direction to suggest. The problem can be caused by corrupted system files, hardware issues or virus infections ( and many many other causes )... So anything we say has a limited chance of being the right direction... but here is some stuff...

The first doesn't require any tests... Check the the fans are working properly. Clean them all out with compressed air.

To check the for file/disk errors...
                Run HDTune to check for errors on the hard drive. If any are found... run the CHKDSK ( Check Disk ) and have it check/fix errors. If running the CHKDSK from the menu, select option 3 when prompted. If you are running manually from a command prompt use CHKDSK /R

Running the included antispyware/antivirus programs can help tell you if its malware related. Please note you will need to have at the least a 60Mb ram drive size in order to run them and you must empty the ram drive after each one you use in order that you have room for the next util you use.

Okay the fan is clean and working. I ran the hd tune (it made it to about 3500mb before it froze), of what was checked it reported just over 2% bad sectors. I tried running the CHKDSK but I receive the message- invalid drive or mount point. I don't know if this helps, but I ran 'recovery' and I can see the files on 'c' drive but it won't let me do anything else. Where to from here?

#8 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

It sounds like either the system had bad hardware, memory or motherboard etc, or the hard drive is dying. Attach a drive to backup any files you may be able to recover... copy the files that you can before you continue, it may be the last chance you get.

Test the system memory using Memtest to see if its related to memory circuit problems.

#9 User is offline   trancer646 Icon

• Pip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

View Postrdsok, on 29 September 2009 - 03:20 PM, said:

It sounds like either the system had bad hardware, memory or motherboard etc, or the hard drive is dying. Attach a drive to backup any files you may be able to recover... copy the files that you can before you continue, it may be the last chance you get.

Test the system memory using Memtest to see if its related to memory circuit problems.

I tried running the memtest but it wouldn't run. I tried moving the files but it doesn't recognize any devices internal or external. (I'm keeping the hammer handy but I think it knows I'm bluffing.)

#10 User is offline   trancer646 Icon

• Pip

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

Thank you for your help and patience, I was able to recover some of the files but it needs a new hard drive. I couldn't have done it without your assisstance.

#11 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for posting, hopefully everything is good. It's nice to see Randy get some compliments, since his old grouchy ass usually makes people mad! I guess it doesn't help when I have a goofy mood swing and start acting like a psycho in here to on occasion? :D:wacko:

Either way, we are glad we could help!!
                        "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

Page 1 of 1
                        • You cannot start a new topic
                        • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                        0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users