UBCD4Win Forums: Administrator Login - Access Lan Pcs - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Administrator Login - Access Lan Pcs How do you log in as Administrator?

#1 User is offline   Zoandar Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:02 AM

I can't figure out how to access the other PCs on my LAN. I built the disc from WinXP and it will run on either my PC or my notebook. Running from the UBCD4Win I can see and Ping the other PCs, but when I try to access their shared folders from Explorer, I am always told I "may not have administrator access permission". So how does one set that up? There doesn't seem to be a "login" when I load the Windows-style environment. I can't find anything telling how to do this anywhere on the forum.

Thanks!

Zoandar

#2 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:54 AM

Hi Zoandar

assuming you are at a PC booted from BartPE or UBCD4win and want to access a PC runing real Microsoft Windows

run PENetCFG
      The network will probably already be started

I use the option to map a network drive letter to a known shared folder on the server
      Though it should show the servers and shared folders on the network

You need to enter a user name & password known to the server to be granted access.

once you have a drive letter Explorer or A43 etc will be able to access files

(for server consider any PC with shared folders)

regards

Mike Barnes

#3 User is offline   Zoandar Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

View Postmbarnes, on 23 September 2009 - 07:54 AM, said:

<br />Hi  Zoandar<br /><br />assuming you are at a PC booted from BartPE or UBCD4win  and want to access a PC runing real Microsoft Windows<br /><br />run PENetCFG<br />The network will probably  already be started<br /><br />I use the option to map a network drive letter to a known shared folder on the server<br />Though it should show the servers and shared folders on the network<br /><br />You need to enter a user name &amp; password known to the server to be granted access.<br /><br />once you have a drive letter Explorer or A43 etc will be able to access files<br /><br />(for server consider any PC with shared folders)<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Mike Barnes<br />
        <br /><br /><br />

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I admit that I tried so many diferent things over the past 2 nights that it is becoming a blur, but I am pretty sure I did what you suggested.

This whole "permissions" issue on a home network is silly anyway. I can map my PDA to a shared folder with Resco Explorer in a few easy steps and have total access, without all the hoop-jumping, but I can't make it work in UBCD4Win.

There is only my own user account on either of the PCs I am trying to access on my home LAN. So you are saying I need to enter my own login and password for that PC?

Can you be specific about where I will need to enter the login? There is no "log off/log on" like real Windows XP has when running UBCD4win.

I have used the network tool you mentioned to set up my notebook with the correct Workgroup name and DHCP. It can then ping my PC, and my PC can ping it. The notebook can see the PC in Network Places while in Explorer. It has access to broadband and pretty much anything I want to do. EXCEPT this network sharing issue.

When I tried mapping a network drive to a shared folder on the PC I got the same "you may not have access rights" error message. Is it in THERE where I must enter my login for the PC? I seem to remember seeing that, but by that point I don't clearly recall what I did, having tried everything I could possibly think of.

Thanks.

Zoandar

#4 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
        • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:22 PM

Hi Zoandar

I knew I had seen similar reports
          so I googled www.911cd.net

result

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=18923

this problem of extra security affects PC's running Win XP SP2 or SP3
          fix is carried out on PC's running Windows XP not the PC running ubcd4win (BartPE)

(Though I have not seen this problem when connecting to Win 2003 servers on a domain)

regards

Mike Barnes

#5 User is offline   Zoandar Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

View Postmbarnes, on 23 September 2009 - 05:22 PM, said:

<br />Hi Zoandar<br /><br />I knew I had seen similar reports <br />so I googled  www.911cd.net<br /><br />result<br /><br /><a href='http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=18923' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow'>http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=18923</a><br /><br />this problem of extra security affects PC's running Win XP SP2 or SP3<br />   fix is carried out on PC's running Windows XP  not the PC running ubcd4win  (BartPE)<br /><br />(Though I have not seen this problem when connecting to Win 2003 servers on a domain)<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Mike Barnes<br />
            <br /><br /><br />

Thanks. I'll give this a read and hopefully find a solution. I am pleased to say that I was successful in establishing the ability for my PC to access a shared folder on the notebook while it is running UBCD4win. The right-click folder menu on UBCD4win contains everything needed to make that work, once properly set. But I believe that menu must be something specific to WinXP Pro, because I have never seen it before. There is no such meno on XP Home when right-clicking a folder. The menu offered lacks most of those settings.

So technically I have achieved my goal to have a boot disc for the notebook which allows me to transfer files to it over my LAN, but only in the one direction. I'd like to finish the final piece of this puzzle though. Hopefully your link will tell the answer.

I did learn a few things about network shares in the process though, thanks to MSKB articles I found by searching "may not have permission" in my PC's Help and Support utility. Like the fact that all incoming anonymous network requests have to go through the Guest Login Account, which I had turned off as part of another MSKB long ago setting up auto-login, since I am the only user of my PCs.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

Zoandar

#6 User is offline   Zoandar Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:11 PM

View PostZoandar, on 23 September 2009 - 08:51 PM, said:

<br />

&lt;br /&gt;Hi Zoandar&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;I knew I had seen similar reports &lt;br /&gt;so I googled  www.911cd.net&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;result&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;a href='http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=18923' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow'&gt;http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=18923&lt;/a&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;this problem of extra security affects PC's running Win XP SP2 or SP3&lt;br /&gt;   fix is carried out on PC's running Windows XP  not the PC running ubcd4win  (BartPE)&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;(Though I have not seen this problem when connecting to Win 2003 servers on a domain)&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;regards&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Mike Barnes&lt;br /&gt;
              &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />Thanks. I'll give this a read and hopefully find a solution. I am pleased to say that I was successful in establishing the ability for my PC to access a shared folder on the notebook while it is running UBCD4win. The right-click folder menu on UBCD4win contains everything needed to make that work, once properly set. But I believe that menu must be something specific to WinXP Pro, because I have never seen it before. There is no such meno on XP Home when right-clicking a folder. The menu offered lacks most of those settings.<br /><br />So technically I have achieved my goal to have a boot disc for the notebook which allows me to transfer files to it over my LAN, but only in the one direction. I'd like to finish the final piece of this puzzle though. Hopefully your link will tell the answer.<br /><br />I did learn a few things about network shares in the process though, thanks to MSKB articles I found by searching &quot;may not have permission&quot; in my PC's Help and Support utility. Like the fact that all incoming anonymous network requests have to go through the Guest Login Account, which I had turned off as part of another MSKB long ago setting up auto-login, since I am the only user of my PCs.<br /><br />I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!<br /><br />Zoandar<br />
              <br /><br /><br />

Well, "one small step for man"........

All I gained in doing this is that I can now SEE the shares on my PC, where before I couldn't do that, from the UBCD4Win on the notebook. But I still cannot access any of them in any way, be it by Explorer, or using the Network Configurator to try to Map a Drive, or using a right-click from the share visible in Explorer to try to Map a Drive that way. It still says "you may not have permission". Note that I did restart the PC after I applied the registry changes, but to me there wasn't much being "changed". I already had the RestrictAnonymous" set to 0, and from what I can see the NullSessionPipes isn't any different now than it had been before I applied the change, other than one more word "srvsvc" being added to the end of the line. I guess that one word is what is letting me now SEE them, but I still need something more to change to be able to access them.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Zoandar

#7 User is offline   Zoandar Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:27 PM

View PostZoandar, on 23 September 2009 - 10:11 PM, said:

<br />

View PostZoandar, on 23 September 2009 - 08:51 PM, said:

&lt;br /&gt;

&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;Hi Zoandar&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;I knew I had seen similar reports &amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;so I googled  www.911cd.net&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;result&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;a href='http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=18923' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow'&amp;gt;http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=18923&amp;lt;/a&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;this problem of extra security affects PC's running Win XP SP2 or SP3&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;   fix is carried out on PC's running Windows XP  not the PC running ubcd4win  (BartPE)&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;(Though I have not seen this problem when connecting to Win 2003 servers on a domain)&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;regards&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;Mike Barnes&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;
                &amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Thanks. I'll give this a read and hopefully find a solution. I am pleased to say that I was successful in establishing the ability for my PC to access a shared folder on the notebook while it is running UBCD4win. The right-click folder menu on UBCD4win contains everything needed to make that work, once properly set. But I believe that menu must be something specific to WinXP Pro, because I have never seen it before. There is no such meno on XP Home when right-clicking a folder. The menu offered lacks most of those settings.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;So technically I have achieved my goal to have a boot disc for the notebook which allows me to transfer files to it over my LAN, but only in the one direction. I'd like to finish the final piece of this puzzle though. Hopefully your link will tell the answer.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;I did learn a few things about network shares in the process though, thanks to MSKB articles I found by searching &amp;quot;may not have permission&amp;quot; in my PC's Help and Support utility. Like the fact that all incoming anonymous network requests have to go through the Guest Login Account, which I had turned off as part of another MSKB long ago setting up auto-login, since I am the only user of my PCs.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Zoandar&lt;br /&gt;
                &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />Well, &quot;one small step for man&quot;........<br /><br />All I gained in doing this is that I can now SEE the shares on my PC, where before I couldn't do that, from the UBCD4Win on the notebook. But I still cannot access any of them in any way, be it by Explorer, or using the Network Configurator to try to Map a Drive, or using a right-click from the share visible in Explorer to try to Map a Drive that way. It still says &quot;you may not have permission&quot;. Note that I did restart the PC after I applied the registry changes, but to me there wasn't much being &quot;changed&quot;. I already had the RestrictAnonymous&quot; set to 0, and from what I can see the NullSessionPipes isn't any different now than it had been before I applied the change, other than one more word &quot;srvsvc&quot; being added to the end of the line. I guess that one word is what is letting me now SEE them, but I still need something more to change to be able to access them. <br /><br />Any other ideas? <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br /><br />Zoandar<br />
                <br /><br /><br />

Oh, I just realized something else changed too, but I forgot to mention it. Now when I do try to map a share, it seems to want to take my PC user and password, but it comes up telling me "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password. To connect using a different user name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share.

How? I have never been successful in actually mapping anything, so I don't see how it can think I was. But there may be a way around this issue. One thing I have not done today with all these changes is reboot the notebook running UBCD4Win. So I guess I'll try that next. Maybe it needs to be restarted to "re-evaluate the network" or something.

So how come editing one of these posts really screws it up?

Thanks,

Zoandar

#8 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: Admin

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

View PostZoandar, on 23 September 2009 - 10:27 PM, said:

It isn't the editing that screws it up.. it is the user not editing it properly that does that.
                  Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#9 User is offline   Zoandar Icon

• Pip

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:00 AM

View Postrdsok, on 23 September 2009 - 10:59 PM, said:

It isn't the editing that screws it up.. it is the user not editing it properly that does that.

Well, I guess that is me then, but I don't know what I was doing wrong. When I wanted to add something more in the text of my reply, I clicked Edit, and inserted the text like I have learned to do on other forums. But I haven't seen this problem before. For some reason if I add text into the middle of a post, that is when it gets jumbled somehow. Sorry about that, but I don't know any other way to do it.

Thanks for the help!!

Zoandar

#10 User is offline   Zoandar Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

View PostZoandar, on 24 September 2009 - 12:00 AM, said:

View Postrdsok, on 23 September 2009 - 10:59 PM, said:

Well, I guess that is me then, but I don't know what I was doing wrong. When I wanted to add something more in the text of my reply, I clicked Edit, and inserted the text like I have learned to do on other forums. But I haven't seen this problem before. For some reason if I add text into the middle of a post, that is when it gets jumbled somehow. Sorry about that, but I don't know any other way to do it.

Thanks for the help!!

Zoandar

I finally fixed the issue of seeing and sharing files between a PC or notebook running UBCD4WIN and one running WinXP Home. connected to the same LAN. I had to do some research and apply information found in a few MSKB articles, and posted on here by Mike Barnes.

The short story is:

The Guest Account must be enabled on the XP Home PC as that is how network connections (logons) are mapped, through the Guest Account (See MSKB 281248)

KB913628 reveals the WinXP Home PC you may be accessing may be configured to "restrict access over anonymous connections". To fix that, you need to apply a Registry edit as per this link from Mike Barnes' post here"

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=18923

Apply that fix to the PC you are ACCESSING FROM the UBCD4WIN-running PC.

Finally, what no one mentions in all this, is that you MUST REBOOT BOTH PCS after doing so. If you don't it won't work.

Zoandar

Page 1 of 1
                      • You cannot start a new topic
                      • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                      0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users