UBCD4Win Forums: Will Portable Apps Work With A Usb Bootable Drive? - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will Portable Apps Work With A Usb Bootable Drive?

#1 User is offline   jungleexplorer Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:18 PM

This may be a stupid question, but here goes. Is there a way to use portable apps from portableapps.com on a bootable USB flash drive with UBCD4WIN on it? Why would I want to do this, you ask? Well I travel 3 weeks out of a month and I frequently use other peoples computers. I have a 4GB Pico drive (tiny little stainless steel waterproof USB flash drive) on my key chain with PortableApps.com on it. I can plug it into any Windows PC and it installs kind of a sub OS that allows me to run all of it's programs (OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird etc.) from the USB drive. I also do on site PC tech support for friends and family and sometimes need to run UBCD4WIN. I normally have to wait until I can get my UBCD4WIN CD before I can help them, but I was thinking it would be great if I could use both from my thumb drive. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this? Thanks

#2 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:08 AM

Well, try and report the result.

#3 User is offline   wgjhstt247 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

Yes, you should be able to run Portableapps with UBCD4WIN. Portableapps is a win32 application that is meant to run specifically on windows. It has nothing to do with the boot files or the way UBCD4WIN boots up. For all UBCD4WIN cares, it's just an ordinary file like a word document. If necessary you can even write a custom autorun.inf script to launch it.

As for integrating portableapps into UBCD4WIN (ie BartPE environment), I don't know. It could probably be done.

#4 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Skeptic
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

View Postwgjhstt247, on 07 November 2009 - 03:38 PM, said:

Yes, you should be able to run Portableapps with UBCD4WIN. Portableapps is a win32 application that is meant to run specifically on windows. It has nothing to do with the boot files or the way UBCD4WIN boots up. For all UBCD4WIN cares, it's just an ordinary file like a word document. If necessary you can even write a custom autorun.inf script to launch it.

As for integrating portableapps into UBCD4WIN (ie BartPE environment), I don't know. It could probably be done.

Well it has been done on cd, usually no problem at all. Depends mainly on if the application needs to write settings to the application's folder or not. (In that case I would add FBWF plugin, this will add write capabilities to the cd, or copy/expand the files in RAM) Ini file settings can be redirected to the registry. But I don't think that applies to a USB stick though. Create a plugin and either add a custom .inf and nu2menu.xml for each independent app or if you use the entire PortableApps suite, for the PStart.exe only. Build normally and transfer files using UBUSB.exe.

This post has been edited by bengt: 07 November 2009 - 10:15 AM

#5 User is offline   jungleexplorer Icon

• Pip

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

Tried it and it worked with no problems. This is flat amazing.

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users