• This topic is locked

Syslinux Usb Multiboot Using Syslinux to boot UBCD4Win

#31 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:57 PM

View Postfeelunion, on 09 November 2009 - 03:46 PM, said:

Do u mean there is no need for commandline if we used syslinux in boot loader?

Yes, use UBUSB only. Don't change further settings.
    Report the result.

#32 User is offline   wgjhstt247 Icon

• PipPip
      • Group: Members

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:57 PM

View Postpcuser, on 09 November 2009 - 02:41 PM, said:

And how about Boot Loader, should I leave it as Grub4dos or what!

Aren't you wanting syslinux instead? I'm curious to know why you both don't just use UBUSB to install syslinux? Why are you installing it from the commandline?

You can't install syslinux from UBUSB in Windows Vista or Windows 7. The box selects grub4dos by default and it's disabled. That's why I had to install it from command line.

This post has been edited by wgjhstt247: 09 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

#33 User is offline   wgjhstt247 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:11 PM

View Postcdob, on 09 November 2009 - 01:15 PM, said:

@wgjhstt247

New game:
        Revovery Console with grub4dos, called by syslinux

I did all that you said to do. It booted the Recovery console, but BSOD on me. I tried it on a Dell optiplex gx620. I added the grub lines from the previous thread on BSOD and recovery console. It still BSOD on me. Is there anything else that you'd suggest. Thanks for all your help so far, you've helped me come a long way.

#34 User is offline   feelunion Icon

• Pip

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

Thank u every 1 for helping me

@wgjhstt247
          I did what you said exactly, your help is appreciated.

View Postpcuser, on 09 November 2009 - 10:41 PM, said:

And how about Boot Loader, should I leave it as Grub4dos or what!

Aren't you wanting syslinux instead? I'm curious to know why you both don't just use UBUSB to install syslinux? Why are you installing it from the commandline?

Thank u for reply.
          Yes there is no different between commandline and choosing syslinux from boot loader.

View Postcdob, on 09 November 2009 - 10:57 PM, said:

View Postfeelunion, on 09 November 2009 - 03:46 PM, said:

Do u mean there is no need for commandline if we used syslinux in boot loader?

Yes, use UBUSB only. Don't change further settings.
          Report the result.

Thank u for reply.
          I tried both commanline and syslinux from boot loader = same results

Now the results are: :(

Testing UFD by UBUSB Test Button

Posted Image

When hitting Enter its restart and got the same pic above again n again.

Testing UFD when booting from Vmware machine

Posted Image

And when hitting Enter I got this for ever.

Posted Image

Testing UFD on my host computer (Laptop Dell Inspiron 6400 / Windows 7 Ultimate)

Result the same as Testing UFD by UBUSB Test Button

Testing UFD on HP laptop (Compaq nx5000 / Windows XP Home Edition)

Result the same as Testing UFD by UBUSB Test Button

Thank u all for helping me, but I gave up. :(
          I'll buy a new UFD with 2GB, so I can try it with FAT16 booting.

#35 User is offline   wgjhstt247 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:11 PM

@feelunion

You are definitely half-way there. You've got syslinux booting. The problem I got stuck on was keeping the syslinux version of files the same (chain.c32,vesamenu.c32,etc.). If you let UBUSB install syslinux, you still have to modify the syslinux.cfg file to what I had written. I think that's the key to get it working. Let me know if you still want to go on.

#36 User is offline   wgjhstt247 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:12 PM

@cdob

I got the recovery console working by using the modified ntdetect.com file. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it!

#37 User is offline   feelunion Icon

• Pip

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:55 PM

View Postwgjhstt247, on 10 November 2009 - 01:11 AM, said:

@feelunion

You are definitely half-way there. You've got syslinux booting. The problem I got stuck on was keeping the syslinux version of files the same (chain.c32,vesamenu.c32,etc.). If you let UBUSB install syslinux, you still have to modify the syslinux.cfg file to what I had written. I think that's the key to get it working. Let me know if you still want to go on.

I did what u said Literally.
                And I'm already changed the syslinux.cfg as u mentioned.
                of course I want to go on if there is a hope.
                Thank u.

This post has been edited by feelunion: 09 November 2009 - 06:56 PM

#38 User is offline   wgjhstt247 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

View Postfeelunion, on 09 November 2009 - 05:55 PM, said:

View Postwgjhstt247, on 10 November 2009 - 01:11 AM, said:

@feelunion

I did what u said Literally.
                  And I'm already changed the syslinux.cfg as u mentioned.
                  of course I want to go on if there is a hope.
                  Thank u.

When you built UBCD4WIN, what plugins did you use? Did you slipstream the windows XP source files with sp2, sp1, or none at all? I'm not sure if this will make a difference or not, but did you have "show hidden files" enabled when you copied the windows xp source files to your hard drive?

#39 User is offline   feelunion Icon

• Pip

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

@wgjhstt247

When you built UBCD4WIN, what plugins did you use? Did you slipstream the windows XP source files with sp2, sp1, or none at all? I'm not sure if this will make a difference or not, but did you have "show hidden files" enabled when you copied the windows xp source files to your hard drive?

I didn't change anything, plugins as default.
                    I used original windows CD (Retail XP Pro SP3) directly for source files.
                    I didn't show any hidden files because as I mentioned above the source path is the XP CD, no need for copy files.

#40 User is offline   wgjhstt247 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

View Postfeelunion, on 09 November 2009 - 07:06 PM, said:

@wgjhstt247

I didn't change anything, plugins as default.
                      I used original windows CD (Retail XP Pro SP3) directly for source files.
                      I didn't show any hidden files because as I mentioned above the source path is the XP CD, no need for copy files.

I looked back on the previous page and compared the files I have and the files you have. It appears that you are missing the "system" and "Registration" folders in the "minint" folder.

#41 User is offline   feelunion Icon

• Pip

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

@wgjhstt247

I looked back on the previous page and compared the files I have and the files you have. It appears that you are missing the "system" and "Registration" folders in the "minint" folder.

I do have now "system" folder in the "minint" folder but the "registration" is missing as u said.

where can I find the "registration" folder?

#42 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

@feelunion,

There doesn't have to be a Registration folder. wgjhstt247 had to jump through hoops to use Syslinux because they are using Vista/Win7 (I don't think they ever specified?), you shouldn't have to if you're building on XP.

I just did this on a fresh XP-SP3 install to confirm that it does work:

1. Downloaded, installed and built UBCD4Win (made sure that "Build ISO" was selected so that the other post processing scripts will run too).

2. Ran UBUSB.exe and made sure that the correct USB drive was selected then changed the boot loader to Syslinux and pressed "Go".

Start fresh and keep it simple.

@wgjhstt247,

A better way to do things next time might be to post in THIS "Beta testers needed" thread since I'm still developing UBUSB and you might have a platform available to test with that I don't.

To make a long story short, you're looking for a workaround that you don't need to be looking for.
                          If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#43 User is offline   wgjhstt247 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

View Postpcuser, on 09 November 2009 - 10:35 PM, said:

@wgjhstt247,

A better way to do things next time might be to post in THIS "Beta testers needed" thread since I'm still developing UBUSB and you might have a platform available to test with that I don't.

To make a long story short, you're looking for a workaround that you don't need to be looking for.

I built UBCD4WIN using Virtual PC 2007 (Microsoft product) with Windows SP2 using Windows SP2 source files. I upgraded all the plugins in it, and had to fix the drivers plugin because it wouldn't let me into the menu to upgrade. I successfully did that. Then I copied the built files back to my Windows 7 machine and used UBUSB from there. The bootloader box was disabled, so I was forced to put on grub4dos. I had to install syslinux manually. It was more complicated than I thought it would be, but I feel accomplished and felt like I learned something through the process about syslinux, the mbr, and bootsector. I felt like UBUSB took away from that learning process on how to do things manually.

Everybody has been using UBUSB as an "all-in-one" solution, but what about those that are not creating this bootable UFD in Windows? What about the people that are creating it in Linux or Mac? We are forced to struggle to find the manual way to do things because no one else seems really know but you. I would suggest that you provide a manual guide or the steps you take to produce the UBUSB as opensource. Please transfer your algorithms to java, which is practically os independent. Thank you!

#44 User is offline   feelunion Icon

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:01 PM

View Postpcuser, on 10 November 2009 - 06:35 AM, said:

@feelunion,

There doesn't have to be a Registration folder. wgjhstt247 had to jump through hoops to use Syslinux because they are using Vista/Win7 (I don't think they ever specified?), you shouldn't have to if you're building on XP.

I just did this on a fresh XP-SP3 install to confirm that it does work:

1. Downloaded, installed and built UBCD4Win (made sure that "Build ISO" was selected so that the other post processing scripts will run too).

2. Ran UBUSB.exe and made sure that the correct USB drive was selected then changed the boot loader to Syslinux and pressed "Go".

Start fresh and keep it simple.

@wgjhstt247,

Ok, I refreshed the vmware machine with windows XP SP3 Pro (Clean Install).

Now on the vmware machine:

Downloaded UBCD4WIN and installed it
                              Ran UBCD4WIN shortcut, Source path "Wndows XP SP3 Pro CD", output "BartPe", Media Output "Create ISO Image", "plugins" as default and pressed "Build" button.
                              Everything goes fine, no errors no warnings as usual.

Ran UBUSB.exe with UFD selected, Bartpe source selected and changed the boot loader to "syslinux" then pressed "GO" button.

Posted Image

After finished.

Tested with "Test USB" button, got pic below

Posted Image

Then

Posted Image

I know when hitting Enter with pic above will take me to the first option (Ultimate Boot CD) so I hit Enter, got pic below

Posted Image

Tested on vmware machine (Booting from removable drives), got pic below

Posted Image

After pressed Enter I got black screen with blinking cursor for 15 minutes. no change.

Tested on real computer (HP laptop) with windows XP home edition, got pic below

Posted Image

After pressed Enter I got black screen with blinking cursor for more than 1 hour. no change either.

Im using UFD (Kingstone 4GB with FAT32).

Can u tell me what is going on with me.

This post has been edited by feelunion: 10 November 2009 - 01:10 PM

#45 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:14 PM

I've never used UBUSB in vmware before and I don't have it to test with.
                                If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

• (4 Pages)
                                • +
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users