• This topic is locked

Syslinux Usb Multiboot Using Syslinux to boot UBCD4Win

#46 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

View Postwgjhstt247, on 10 November 2009 - 09:18 AM, said:

Everybody has been using UBUSB as an "all-in-one" solution, but what about those that are not creating this bootable UFD in Windows? What about the people that are creating it in Linux or Mac? We are forced to struggle to find the manual way to do things because no one else seems really know but you. I would suggest that you provide a manual guide or the steps you take to produce the UBUSB as opensource. Please transfer your algorithms to java, which is practically os independent. Thank you!

The project is made to support Windows... not Linux, not Mac.

I suggest that you don't try volunteering other peoples limited time. If you want something to work in these other enviroments or to use java, do it yourself. You are in no position to rudely volunteer others like you are trying to do. You must remember that the project was built by volunteers donating their time.... we do not do it for the "pay"
    Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#47 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:51 PM

That is just rude and uncalled for.
      wgjh- you will not see anything like that ever. We work on PC's. Linux and Mac's are supposed to be perfect right?? #1 in customer satisfaction and all that garbage? They don't need a boot disc or usb because they are perfect.

Go ask a "mac genius" to make that for you!! Quit trying to piss of my talented helpers that put their extra time, heart and soul into this project!
      "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

#48 User is offline   wgjhstt247 Icon

• PipPip
        • Group: Members

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:34 PM

View Postrdsok, on 10 November 2009 - 07:37 PM, said:

View Postwgjhstt247, on 10 November 2009 - 09:18 AM, said:

Everybody has been using UBUSB as an "all-in-one" solution, but what about those that are not creating this bootable UFD in Windows? What about the people that are creating it in Linux or Mac? We are forced to struggle to find the manual way to do things because no one else seems really know but you. I would suggest that you provide a manual guide or the steps you take to produce the UBUSB as opensource. Please transfer your algorithms to java, which is practically os independent. Thank you!

The project is made to support Windows... not Linux, not Mac.

I suggest that you don't try volunteering other peoples limited time. If you want something to work in these other enviroments or to use java, do it yourself. You are in no position to rudely volunteer others like you are trying to do. You must remember that the project was built by volunteers donating their time.... we do not do it for the "pay"

You've misunderstood me. I'm not asking pcuser to volunteer his time. I'm asking him for the algorithms so that it can be improved by others (this is called "opensource"), or if he wants to do it himself, go for it.

#49 User is offline   wgjhstt247 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

View PostSteelTrepid, on 10 November 2009 - 09:51 PM, said:

That is just rude and uncalled for.
          wgjh- you will not see anything like that ever. We work on PC's. Linux and Mac's are supposed to be perfect right?? #1 in customer satisfaction and all that garbage? They don't need a boot disc or usb because they are perfect.

Go ask a "mac genius" to make that for you!! Quit trying to piss of my talented helpers that put their extra time, heart and soul into this project!

So you like to associate Linux with Mac, eh? Mac is a modified distribution of Mach Linux (Berkley Linux Distribution) with a proprietary GUI. Linux is the opensource operating system created by Linus Torvalds from Finland. Without Linux, the internet wouldn't be what it is today. Some of the smartest men in the world developed the programs that run from within the terminal (developed for 30+ years and people are still using those programs today). Linux has been proven to be far superior than Windows, especially in considering security. Linux runs on both Mac's AND PC's.

The other day I was working on a Dell Laptop with 57 viruses on it (6 or 7 of them were rootkits). I couldn't remove ANY of them in Windows. I booted up PLoP Linux (with Avast! Linux edition) on it and was able to delete all of them. This is the second time PLoP Linux + Avast! has helped me where Windows and programs in it couldn't.

I'm a proud Ubuntu Linux user. I only use Windows when a program doesn't work with the wine package in Linux, mostly gaming. I've taken two semesters worth of Unix/Linux/Opensource history and usage. "The Mythical Man-Month" and "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" are good reads. Grub and syslinux are opensource/linux bootloaders. I use syslinux on my UFD with UBCD4WIN, UBCD (original), Hiren's Boot CD 10.0, PLoP Linux (w/ Avast!), Offline NT password recovery (based on Linux), and Ophcrack (w/ xp and vista tables - based on Linux), currently. I plan to add these: Ubuntu LiveCD (Linux distro), Windows XP install, Windows Vista install, Windows 7 install, Xboxhdm 1.9, Backtrack 4, and portableapps. Try Ubuntu, it's definitely worth checking out.

#50 User is offline   wgjhstt247 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

View Postfeelunion, on 10 November 2009 - 12:01 PM, said:

Can u tell me what is going on with me.

I was getting the same kind of thing when I first tried to make it work. Let me explain...

1) Syslinux Bootloader is a piece of low-level code that fits into the Master Boot Record on the UFD. If the version of syslinux in the bootloader is not the same as the syslinux files on the UFD, it won't work right (Hence, I put "Important!!!"). I received a screen similar to that boot screen with all the funky colors when the version of my syslinux bootloader didn't match the files on the UFD. If the versions are the same, you'd be able to see the menu perfectly.

2) When you select "syslinux" as the bootloader in UBUSB.exe, it uses UBCD4WIN.bss for the kernel to boot UBCD4WIN (check syslinux.cfg). UBCD4WIN.bss is for FAT16 formatted flash drives, not FAT32 formatted flash drives (That's why it froze at the command prompt). Therefore, you have to edit the syslinux.cfg to "kernel chain.c32 hd0 1 ntldr=/minint/setupldr.bin".

After I made these changes on my UFD, it worked.

#51 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:03 PM

SUMMATION:
              • The original questions posted in this thread have been answered.
              • Any author has the right to choose open/closed sources for the code they develop.
              • All existing Operating Systems have "Fans" and "Fans" of one OS often don't like other "Flavors"
              • Opinions are welcome, yours are clear as well as others who have posted in this thread.

I use syslinux on my UFD with UBCD4WIN, UBCD (original), Hiren's Boot CD 10.0, PLoP Linux (w/ Avast!)

This forum does not condone the use of pirated software.

END OF LINE.
              Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

• (4 Pages)
              • +
              • « First
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
              0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users