Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Updating Ubcd

#1 User is offline   adwsystems Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:32 PM

I honestly don't know anything about this program but what I've read here and that isn't very straightforward. Until Windows XP, or more precisely, the extensive use of the NTFS format I've used Norton Ghost in every way imaginable for years (atleast 10). Now that I've no choice but to run the NTFS format due to the large HDD sizes, I'm trying to learn and use a copy of UBCD that was given to me. It appears to be version 3.1.10 (I think that's what was in the about tab anyway). This version appears to be too old for my laptop and doesn't contain any way to operate my machine. It will barely start the SATA HDD, won't load the network card, the video card, the USB drivers, or the ATAPI drivers to use an external drive. I'm left looking at trying to update to the latest version (3.50). I need to have Ghost accessable through UBCD and I have downloaded the latest UBCD from CNet. I will follow the extraction procedure next. Then what? How do I get the Ghost files from the old UBCD to the new one?

#2 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:37 AM

First...

Note.... to avoid confusion on what you are refering too..

UBCD - is a DOS based boot CD with utils to repair / recover computers

UBCD4Win - is a Windows based boot CD to also repair / recover computers and also can include UBCD with it...

So when talking about UBCD4Win please don't call it UBCD since that is another project

Next... the "copy" of UBCD4Win you got is illegal because you did not create it from a legal copy of Windows that you actually own.

UBCD4Win is made to be a repair/recovery disk... it isn't Windows and don't expect to see all of the device manager filled with devices. There are 3 critical drivers needed... the VGA driver, the hard drive controller to allow access to the hard drive but this won't show in the device manager because it uses the text mode drivers... and in some cases the network drivers.

USB devices need to be plugged in before you boot so they get enumerated during the boot.

Ghost is also not a free program. You must own a legal copy and then use those files to add to a Ghost plugin.

If the drivers your system needs are not included... you add them as mentioned all over this forum and can be found with a forum search so I'll not repeat them yet again.
      Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#3 User is offline   adwsystems Icon

• Pip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:38 AM

View Postrdsok, on 11 November 2009 - 12:37 AM, said:

First...

Note.... to avoid confusion on what you are refering too..

UBCD - is a DOS based boot CD with utils to repair / recover computers

UBCD4Win - is a Windows based boot CD to also repair / recover computers and also can include UBCD with it...

So when talking about UBCD4Win please don't call it UBCD since that is another project

Next... the "copy" of UBCD4Win you got is illegal because you did not create it from a legal copy of Windows that you actually own.

UBCD4Win is made to be a repair/recovery disk... it isn't Windows and don't expect to see all of the device manager filled with devices. There are 3 critical drivers needed... the VGA driver, the hard drive controller to allow access to the hard drive but this won't show in the device manager because it uses the text mode drivers... and in some cases the network drivers.

USB devices need to be plugged in before you boot so they get enumerated during the boot.

Ghost is also not a free program. You must own a legal copy and then use those files to add to a Ghost plugin.

If the drivers your system needs are not included... you add them as mentioned all over this forum and can be found with a forum search so I'll not repeat them yet again.

Dude please calm your jets. I'm sorry about the UBCD vs. UBCD4WIN reference, I made a mistake. I'm just trying to get the software to work on my laptop. It's been a long time (8+ years) since I've tried to do this type of stuff. I own WinXP LEGALLY. I own Ghost LEGALLY, several versions in fact both commercial and personal. I've been using it for well over 10 years. So whether the lawyers want to take issue with it then they can, I'm not worried about it. Whether I'm using my copy of my version or a copy of the same version from elsewhere won't matter much. They got my money. I'm sorry about the rant, but this stuff used to be easy for me and I've been out of it for so long it's aggravating me now. I didn't want to spend a lot of time on this project but now I've spent well over 6 hours on a 2 hour project.

Moving on and back to the issues at hand.

After a lot of reading I think I have figured out how to burn the ISO, though I've not attempted it yet.

View Postrdsok, on 11 November 2009 - 12:37 AM, said:

you add them as mentioned all over this forum and can be found with a forum search so I'll not repeat them yet again.

Where? I can't find a set of clear instructions on what to do or to look for. Could you provide a link to the best set that I might be able to follow. I think I'll be able to follow the one line you typed in the other post about the network card. I'll let you know how that works.

The USB drive isn't recognized during boot or after. So that doesn't appear to matter, something is still missing. Any ideas? When I watch the UBCD4WIN device manager, I see it load an unrecognized device call 'ATAPI-6' something or else. How do I identify the drivers and from the original install CD to include them when I burn the ISO.

So back to the original question, is it possible to use the 3.1.10 disk as a basis and upgrade to the latest version?

Thank you for your help.

This post has been edited by adwsystems: 11 November 2009 - 08:47 AM

#4 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Skeptic
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:52 AM

Have a look at FAQ: How do I add my own drivers?
          Use Advanced search top right, Find words: "drivers" and tick the "Search titles only"
          No such thing as 3.1.10 disk, the UBCD4Win project is at v3.5, the UBCD4WinBuilder is at v3.1.10 though.

#5 User is offline   adwsystems Icon

• Pip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:02 AM

View Postbengt, on 11 November 2009 - 08:52 AM, said:

Use Advanced search top right, Find words: "drivers" and tick the "Search titles only"
            No such thing as 3.1.10 disk, the UBCD4Win project is at v3.5, the UBCD4WinBuilder is at v3.1.10 though.

Bengt,

Wow you post looks aweful on my computer I'm not sure what happened. But anyhow. UBCD4WIN that I downloaded says 3.50, the latest instruction say since 3.06 "User doesn't need to do anything". Do I just follow the 3.05 instructions?

How do I tell which version I have? When I click on the about in the "start" tab it said 3.1.10. I didn't see another version number.

I read several dozen threads and posts and can't figure out where to start. Most of the threads start in the middle after someone is having a problem. I can't figure out where to start to catch up with any of the posts.

This post has been edited by adwsystems: 11 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

#6 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Skeptic
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

View Postadwsystems, on 11 November 2009 - 03:02 PM, said:

Bengt,
              Wow you post looks aweful on my computer I'm not sure what happened.

well, what can I say, oh yes, have fun and good luck...

#7 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Admin

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

View Postadwsystems, on 11 November 2009 - 07:38 AM, said:

Dude please calm your jets.

WTF... software piracy, whether you are concerned about it or not, is a big issue and WE DO take a serious stand against it. The UBCD vs. UBCD4Win issue is so you don't confuse others, or do you not care about others like you don't care about software piracy issues?

You don't take a build that is completed and pull plugins from it... you must have the original plugin to begin with in order for it to be included in a new build.
                Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#8 User is offline   adwsystems Icon

• Pip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

View Postbengt, on 11 November 2009 - 10:50 AM, said:

View Postadwsystems, on 11 November 2009 - 03:02 PM, said:

Bengt,
                  Wow you post looks aweful on my computer I'm not sure what happened.

well, what can I say, oh yes, have fun and good luck...

I'm not sure what happened. At work, the computers choked on this thread at home (same OS and IE) they work fine.

#9 User is offline   adwsystems Icon

• Pip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:24 PM

View Postrdsok, on 11 November 2009 - 02:08 PM, said:

View Postadwsystems, on 11 November 2009 - 07:38 AM, said:

Dude please calm your jets.

WTF... software piracy, whether you are concerned about it or not, is a big issue and WE DO take a serious stand against it. The UBCD vs. UBCD4Win issue is so you don't confuse others, or do you not care about others like you don't care about software piracy issues?

You don't take a build that is completed and pull plugins from it... you must have the original plugin to begin with in order for it to be included in a new build.

I'm highly concerned about software piracy. It costs us all $$$$. I will guarantee you that I own ataleast one legal copy of every piece of software on my machine. YOU started by assuming that I didn't have the LEGAL copies. I just happen to be using the same version of Windows and Ghost from a CD built by someone else. So how about we both take a deep breath and start again. Hello, my nickname is ADWSystems...

This post has been edited by adwsystems: 11 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

#10 User is offline   adwsystems Icon

• Pip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:36 PM

View Postbengt, on 11 November 2009 - 08:52 AM, said:

I believe that my disk is that old...The Start->About says "The Ultimate Boot CD for Windows v3.1.10a Build date: 6/17/08". Do I dare ask how much better is the new one over the old?

Page 1 of 1
                      • You cannot start a new topic
                      • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                      0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users